Author Topic: Hold out for the V7 II or dive in now?  (Read 41463 times)

yourfavorite

Hold out for the V7 II or dive in now?
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:28:03 PM »
After 10 years of riding vintage vespas (and stellas) I'm ready to buy a motorcycle. I've narrowed it down to three finalists and plan to test ride them soon. My favorite from beauty alone is the Moto Guzzi V7. Though I've never had ABS, I'm told it can be a lifesaver in certain situations.

Assuming I decide to go with the V7... based on the upcoming tweaks on the V7 II, should I hold out till Summer/Fall and buy the V7 II or should I go ahead and pickup a V7 now? I know this is ultimately up to me but I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys.

Vasco DG

Re: Hold out for the V7 II or dive in now?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
There was another thread that explored this question fairly exhaustively. I'm awaiting delivery of my first V7-II so I'll be able to do a bit of a comparo after it's been PD'd and registered. Obviously it'll be a short test, I can't ride a customer's new bike 1,000 km! :D but it'll give me an idea.

Pete

yourfavorite

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »
Ah my bad. I did my searching via google before my membership was approved and didn't see a thread like this. I'll look around and try to find the one you mentioned.

Mods feel free to delete this post. :D

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
There is another option:

Buy a used Breva 750 or Classic 750 right now (prices are very low) and trade it in on a new V7-II this fall
... IFF you can still find a logical reason for doing so.

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »
Unless you are dead set on having ABS, the current V7 will probably fill all of your expectations.  And, as MotoGeezer said, you can also pick up a nice used Breva 750 or V7 Classic and get a feel for the MG 750cc engine & gearbox.  I've owned a later model Breva 750 (sold) and presently have a 2010 V7.  Both are really good bikes but you sit differently on the Breva vs the V7 Classic.  The present line of new V7's have essentially the same riding position that you'll find on with a used V7 Classic (with the exception of The Racer model).  The new ones have only one throttle body and the older models will have two.  Food for thought.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:02:38 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
TBH if money is not an issues hold out for the V7II (we have them here already) the new gearbox is worth the price of admission.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
If you like what you're riding and don't mind waiting there's nothing wrong with getting the latest/greatest.

But there will always be something else coming down the pipe and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my V7 Stone.

It's my favorite Guzzi, having owned 3... The other two being big blocks...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

lucydad

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
Dang...tough choice as Kev said the current V7s are sweet as can be.  Given that ABS brakes to me are worth a lot...

Waiting for full report on 6 speed transmission. 

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:42:37 PM »
ABS will help you hit the tree straighter but a 6 speed trans might be worth looking into ,,,, course they'll probably have to change the gearing to do and then we might not like it .. ??? Wait & see as they say ............ :BEER:
TMS

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
Buy the latest and put some 4 valve heads on it.  :P ;-T ;D
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 07:11:02 AM »
I bought a black '13 Stone in May '13 and now have 12,000 mi on it.  I'm planning to get a V7II as soon as they're available in the US, and sell the '13.  Anyone interested?
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »
They're going to have to change the gear ratios if they want the rider to get any real use from a six speed tranny.  I don't ever get beyond fourth gear and won't unless I were on an interstate hwy driving 80 mph or more.  It may turn out to be great but I have no beef with the tranny that was used in the Breva and my V7.  
ABS is a deal breaker for me to ever own any bike.  I owned three different models of BMW's with different ABS systems and every one of them broke and cost a lot of money to fix.  Two were out of warranty when they broke and BMW had to eat the other one.  It also adds weight and complexity; two things I specifically don't want on any motorcycle.  
NO longer can ride

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
ABS is a deal breaker for me to ever own any bike.  I owned three different models of BMW's with different ABS systems and every one of them broke and cost a lot of money to fix.  Two were out of warranty when they broke and BMW had to eat the other one.  It also adds weight and complexity; two things I specifically don't want on any motorcycle.  

New tranny, ABS and Traction Control.  All "first year" items on these bikes.  Buy an earlier model while any potential bugs are worked out.  We know that never happens...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Hold out for the V7 II or dive in now?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
They're going to have to change the gear ratios if they want the rider to get any real use from a six speed tranny.  I don't ever get beyond fourth gear and won't unless I were on an interstate hwy driving 80 mph or more.  It may turn out to be great but I have no beef with the tranny that was used in the Breva and my V7.  
Well FWIW I believe you've got a V7C meaning a 2tb model. When Jay and I tested his old V7C back to back with my Stone we learned the 1TB motor can be run a couple hundred rpm lower than the 2TB very comfortably.

And my own experience over the past two years with my Stone has me in fifth gear by 60-70 mph and looking for sixth.

As for ABS I've had one BMW (R1100RS) and one Ducati (M696) with it, and though I was reluctant to embrace the tech on bikes I have to admit both systems have been flawless and not required any repairs.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
There is another option:

Buy a used Breva 750 or Classic 750 right now (prices are very low) and trade it in on a new V7-II this fall
... IFF you can still find a logical reason for doing so.

'Geezer

Great idea.   I've even seen some real good deals on 2013 V7's (new 1TB motor/metal tank) with low miles in the $6,000 range.

My first Guzzi was a 2009 V7 Classic that I paid $6,200 for in the fall of 2011.    I put 8,300 miles on it over two years, and then sold it for $5,400 w/o the center stand it had (which I kept for my 2013 V7R).      So, only an $800 hit for 2 years of use -- not bad.    You'll never do that on a new one.

While I love my V7R, I'm thinking I might want to pick up a V7II Stone next year for my main commuter.    I'll keep the V7R, and replace the '94 R100R with it.    I really like the idea of ABS on my main commuting bike, since that is when I'm most likely to end up riding wet roads.

I'd definitely say, pick up a used V7 now and then trade up (or sell/buy) to the V7II next year.   Life is short.     This way, you get an extra year to enjoy the V7!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:25:56 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Re: Hold out for the V7 II or dive in now?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
As for ABS I've had one BMW (R1100RS) and one Ducati (M696) with it, and though I was reluctant to embrace the tech on bikes I have to admit both systems have been flawless and not required any repairs.

The BMW ABS system that was most problematic was the hydroboost (or whatever they called it) that was used on the R1150 family circa 2004-2006.    They did away with that when the R1200's came out.

The V7II ABS and transmission won't be first year anymore by the time they reach the US, as they're being sold elsewhere now.    Plus, MG has had ABS on other models for several years.     

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
Kev, I wasn't aware that the STB would allow the engine to run more comfortably at lower rpm's than the DTB models.  Good info to know.  Thanks!

jas57, one of my ABS Beemers that failed (to the tune of what would have cost me over $2k to repair had it not still been under warranty) was a 2002 R1150RT with the goofy brakes.  Another one that failed had the prior generation of ABS (R1200C) and the first one that failed was on a BMW K-bike.  To each his own but I refuse to buy any motorcycle with an ABS system or too many complex "do-dads".  (am I'm a high-tech type who normally loves tech gadgets). Just not on a motorcycle.
NO longer can ride

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
I think BMW bikes have done more damage to ABS reputation than any other source.  They still have a fixed system, if you change the tire size it will not work. 

Bosch does not suffer those kind of problems.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
I would hold out.

I don't know where you are located, but the Portland, Oregon dealer posted yesterday that he has a large order of V7IIs arriving in ten days.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

DudenLA

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
This is the conundrum I find myself in, whether to buy now and take advantage of any discount or to wait for the new V7II, as posed by the OP.  I appreciate smooth shifting and it is near impossible to not ride on the freeways here in LA, so I'm leaning toward waiting.  I've had an old Triumph Speed Four and a Honda CB500F but find myself without a motorcycle now and relying solely on my trusty Vespa GTS for transportation.   I looked at the V7 before I purchased the Honda and made the choice primarily based on economics, now I'm in the market again because I want a bike that fits me.  I hope to find out the V7 is lust worthy for the long haul.  I'm infatuated with several bikes -- the FZ-07, the Duc Scrambler, and even an odd tug from the Indian Scout (my grandfather rode an Indian before I was born), yet I keep coming back to the V7.  

I sold my car two years ago because I ride everyday and it was becoming a weekly parking violation.  I don't plan on getting another car for another 10 years or so, if I can help it.  The V7 would fit my style of riding - which is primarily commuting on the mean streets and slab of LA with weekend escapes to the coast or mountains.  My girlfriend loves to ride pillion and the V7 looks like it would be the most comfortable for her as well.

I think I'll wait.  A dealer I talked to said it would be June at the earliest but they are not going to hold their breath until they get a notice that the V7IIs have been loaded on the ship and have set sail.  I'm an optimist.   ;)

As far as ABS goes, there is a lot to be said about hitting the tree in a straighter line :)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
Here's a biased opinion based on incomplete information.

Unless I hear really glowing reports about the newer Stones, they won't tempt me from my 13 model Stone with single TB.

I find the 5 speed transmission brilliant.  Can't really see how you would improve it with another gear.  The engine is so torquey and fun, that it's an *advantage* not to fuss around with gear choices.   And as for high speed cruising, I suspect the engine really needs to spin a bit.  I'm turning about 5,000 rpm at 80 something, which feels right.  And it's not like you need another gear so you can avoid a bad, vibey rev zone.  So 5 gears seems like a feature, not a bug.

I've got very mixed views about ABS.   At least on my BMW F800, it seems to have as many downsides as upsides.  Yes, I suppose it could save a skid on wet leaves or something.   But over bumpy pavement, the dang thing activates when not needed, substantially increasing stopping distance.   I've ridden the same route on my daily commute for years.   There are sections of bumpy pavement leading up to various stoplights and crosswalks.  On my Guzzi and Ninja, I can brake aggressively, and while the front might get chirpy, I stop rapidly.   On the BMW, the ABS cuts in and I go sailing far past my intended stopping point. 

Maybe that's just an issue with BMW ABS and the Guzzi system would be better.  But I personally don't view ABS as a must have.    And there's no denying the complexity and expense if the thing goes wonky. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:18:09 AM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
I have been looking for my next Guzzi so when Jim at Tropic Powersports said I Could test ride a V7, I headed down there to do so.
The bike felt a little cramped for me at 6', 210#. I was really hoping to love the bike but....I think I'll hold out for the V7 II because of the rumored extra 1" of leg room. And believe it or not,1" can make a difference. 😉
Best advice is to find a dealer or owner that will let you ride the bike, not just sit on it. Comfort is king when it comes to covering the miles.
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Here's a biased opinion based on incomplete information.

Unless I hear really glowing reports about the newer Stones, they won't tempt me from my 13 model Stone with single TB.

I find the 5 speed transmission brilliant.  Can't really see how you would improve it with another gear.  The engine is so torquey and fun, that it's an *advantage* not to fuss around with gear choices.   And as for high speed cruising, I suspect the engine really needs to spin a bit.  I'm turning about 5,000 rpm at 80 something, which feels right.  And it's not like you need another gear so you can avoid a bad, vibey rev zone.  So 5 gears seems like a feature, not a bug.

I've got very mixed views about ABS.   At least on my BMW F800, it seems to have as many downsides as upsides.  Yes, I suppose it could save a skid on wet leaves or something.   But over bumpy pavement, the dang thing activates when not needed, substantially increasing stopping distance.   I've ridden the same route on my daily commute for years.   There are sections of bumpy pavement leading up to various stoplights and crosswalks.  On my Guzzi and Ninja, I can brake aggressively, and while the front might get chirpy, I stop rapidly.   On the BMW, the ABS cuts in and I go sailing far past my intended stopping point. 

Maybe that's just an issue with BMW ABS and the Guzzi system would be better.  But I personally don't view ABS as a must have.    And there's no denying the complexity and expense if the thing goes wonky. 

This  ;-T  100%

The 5 speed tranny is fine and shifts smoothly for the 4 I've owned from '86-2004.  I think the BB guys who switched to the SB need to get used to revving the bike more than previous.  6th speed isn't another "upper" gear beyond 5th; it's just slightly higher than the current 5th gear, so you're sure to shift more.  I'm not into shifting more. ABS... ho hum.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
If I still did any "two up" riding, the V7 wouldn't work well for me.  When I had the Breva 750, I also had a Griso so it solved the two-up situation.  My wife is 67 and has a not so good back so she's opted out permanently from riding pillion.  My days of riding super-fast, sport bikes or very heavy tourers is gone and will not return; So, to me, the V7 package (whether it be a Breva 750, V7Classic or Stone) is perfect for my needs.  Whichever way the OP decides to go, one of the bikes with the small block 750 is likely to make him very happy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:32:46 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
This  ;-T  100%

The 5 speed tranny is fine and shifts smoothly for the 4 I've owned from '86-2004.  

Fine for a victorian signal box, the V7II is a modern gearbox, basically a smaller version of what is fitted to the CARC bikes, the five speed shifts fine if you are used to it compared to everything else it's 1960's routes shine through.

Vasco DG

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 06:09:02 PM »
I'll just say that if there is one truly 'Stand Out' component on the later big blocks it's the gearboxes. There are three variants, one used on the pushrod CARC bikes, one in the 1200's and one in the Cali 14. They all work brilliantly and you can't kill 'em with a shitty stick.

The new Smallblock six speed is another 'Stand Alone' design but I am hoping it will be every bit as impressive and reliable as the boxes in the big blocks. The component has been on the road for a year or so in Europe and so far I haven't heard any hysterical shrieking over the ether so one has to guess its another goody!

Pete

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
Buy the latest and put some 4 valve heads on it.  :P ;-T ;D
+1. I would wait a little longer and test ride a new one.  Then check out a previous year model.  Make up,your mind from there...at least that is the smart way to do it.
With the weather getting nice though....if you are like me, whatever V7 you get will be an awesome bike, ABS or not, you will still get passionate about it. 
If you need more power...4V is the way to go, and an 820cc kit.  Coming this summer from GuzziTech...

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »
My short answer due to limited time is that if you like the current V7, go for the current model.  There is nothing about the 'II' that would make me tell someone to wait if they're ready to buy now.  

Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »
I think the guys who haven't ridden the current generation probably ought to wait and see what the V7II has to offer rather than condemn the changes based on experience with 2 or more generation removed model variations cause small differences add up.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
Kev, I wasn't aware that the STB would allow the engine to run more comfortably at lower rpm's than the DTB models.  Good info to know.  Thanks!

jas57, one of my ABS Beemers that failed (to the tune of what would have cost me over $2k to repair had it not still been under warranty) was a 2002 R1150RT with the goofy brakes.  Another one that failed had the prior generation of ABS (R1200C) and the first one that failed was on a BMW K-bike.  To each his own but I refuse to buy any motorcycle with an ABS system or too many complex "do-dads".  (am I'm a high-tech type who normally loves tech gadgets). Just not on a motorcycle.

A friend of mine had the ABS fail on a 2002-2004 (forget which bike it was) R1150GS.   There is a way to remove it altogether and revert to normal brakes, which is exactly what he did.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here