Author Topic: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?  (Read 45724 times)

dibble

Re: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
Knife as a Tool/Knife as a weapon, should be two different threads really.

In the UK and I should think most of Western Europe if the Police have a suspicion that your knife is for "protection" will get you nicked.

We still can take pleasure in having nice tools though (with certain restrictions, sub 3" blade, non locking in the UK).

Bjorn Are Stolen

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
Two-handed knife from 16th century Germany  :thumb:
-doesn't get much bigger than this  :laugh:

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »
Hey Oldbike 54. Based upon results with an overripe aand hostile cantaloupe, I would think a Federal .357 125 gr JHP would spread mustard all over the place.

Yeah , those hostile fruits and veggies can be quite problematic , I prefer a shotgun for dispatching them , although it isn't always easy to tell the truly hostile ones from the merely overly flirtatious . A combination of organic fertilizer and to much sun makes some of our squishy little friends a bit frisky  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Hmm , never could figure out how to cut rope or spread mustard with a gun , what am I missing  :huh:

Dusty

You're allowed both, you know.    A little knife to cut rope or spread mustard or peel a grape doesn't take up much room.

Of course, if the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem is treated like a nail ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Benchmade - best I have ever owned. But alas, made in the US of A, not Italy. :sad: :sad:

Benchmade makes a hell of a knife, that's what I carried before the Kershaw..  It dissapeared after I left it laying in the cooler at work.. I'm pretty sure I know who palmed it, he was fired a week later for stuff unrelated.

As far as a knife for self defense..  I never think of it. I consider a knife a tool, not a weapon.. than again I have a CCW and if I were in that sort of situation I would NOT be reaching for my little apple cutter.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Mad Mac

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
There is also Fox Cutlery in Maniago founded by Oreste Frati in 1977 and their subsidiary, Euro Knives Italia founded in 2008 specializing in high-tech folding knives.  They have collaborated with Spyderco before.  The Mini Spy below is one of the results.

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 03:29:29 PM »
I have been researching this very matter. I live in rural Aridzona and spend as much time as possible in the sticks. I walk and bicycle and am  getting the final bits of camping gear: bike and bike (I hope) together. A good knife is a wonderful thing to have for so many outdoor purposes, as well as opening blister packs an stuff in boxes. I want a decent knife and have been considering legal blade length, blade steel, blade shape - like can I sharpen that curve with a stone? and the like. I don't want to spend a hell of a lot of lira on such a thing,  but regard a good knife as a thing to last years. I kinda like this: USA made, clean design, 3" strong point, easily sharpened: The Kershaw Camber. Gonna try to post a link now. These are available for about 70 clams.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/camber
That is a nice knife. I don't think I've ever seen a 3 inch folder with S30V steel at that low of a price. 

I like S30V steel. I have it on my Benchmade Buscrafter.  I can cut down small trees and prepare firewood kindling and it will still shave hair off my arm. 
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »
X-ACTO
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

beetle

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
Leatherman. It makes you feel like Batman.

Mad Mac

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
Ooh, ooh.  Ooh, ooh! 

The iconic Italian knife would have to be a stiletto.
Although a push button, switch blade may prove, uh... awkward.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:47:33 PM by Mad Mac »

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
Have to be a Beretta (yes they make knives, or perhaps just brand them?). Bought my son one a few years back!! Italian, ya know!!!

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »

the best utility knife hands down for the price is the Mora. Light weight, and holds a edge pretty well. That said, it is a sheath knife, but will live in a tank bag just fine.
My EDC is usually a Kershaw Leek, by Ken Onion. US made, scary sharp, and spring assist opening. One flick of the finger, and it is open. Depending on what I am doing, I will carry the half serrated, or non serrated 14c28n steel. I also have a US made Gerber ultralite assist opening. It is even lighter than the Leek, 440A stainless blade. For heavy work, I have a US made Buck 722 Spitfire. 420HC steel, and 35 bucks. It is a workhorse.
All are made in the US, and have lifetime warranties.

Mad Mac

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
The iconic Italian knife would have to be a stiletto.
Although a push button, switch blade may prove, uh... awkward.

In Texas, switchblades up to 5.5 inches long are legal.  Check the law in your state here.
http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws

HardAspie

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
Hey Travman! Thanks for personal info on the S30V steel, that is another thing I like about it. I plan 1 knife: everything a knife does as a tool, take everywhere. That Camber looks good to me.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
It's got nothing to do with watching knife fight movies it has to do with reality.I was attacked by a schizophrenic who fell on me from behind and outweighed me by 100 lbs in the middle of the day.He was trying to break my neck with his forearm while pinning me to the ground.I was able to free my arm and open my folding knife and jab him hard in the thigh.He immediately jumped up screaming and ran off and was caught and hog- tied by police latter in the day.There are many personal defense schools that specialize in defending yourself with a knife.As far as it getting taken away from you then why have a firearm ,it might get taken too.I wasn't interested in squaring off with him and fighting on equal ground that day.I just wanted to get home alive to see my kids.

Wouldn't a Bic pen have done the same job?
& probably would have got a well done from the police.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »
Swiss Army multi-tool knife thing goes with me everywhere, and has saved my ass lots. 
If it doesn't have a corkscrew, it's effectively useless.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Orange Guzzi

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
Interesting so far.  Oddly, I have and often take a Mora and an Opinel - they're among my favorites!  My Mora sheath broke, or I'd carry it all the time.  Well worn wood handle.

I have much nicer knives in the violin workshop, but they are specialty things that stay there. 

I should probably have a black and white scabbard made for the windshield mount and put something sharp, nice, and Italian in it!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offcamber1

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
Wouldn't a Bic pen have done the same job?
& probably would have got a well done from the police.

What are you trying to do, autograph your attacker?

All joking aside, my dog and I were attacked a couple of years ago by a pit bull.  I emptied a 6 ounce can of pepper spray on it and all it did is piss him off and slow him down a bit so my dog could break out of his collar and run.  Since then I still carry the pepper spray as the first line of defense.  Plan B is below:

The thought of trying to take down a pit bull with a bic pen is a bit daunting.

YMMV

HardAspie

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »
Looks like a great Plan B.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »
If it doesn't have a corkscrew, it's effectively useless.

it's a got bottle opener which is more practical.......... ..   :boozing:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:18:41 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
Always liked my Tim Wegner designed Spyderco....nice solid heft to it, but not too heavy.  Bought three of them on ebay for about $65 each(listed for $160 in late 90's) when they were disco'd due to Wegner starting his own knife co.  Lost one...probably while motorcycle riding! :embarassed:
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Mad Mac

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »
The Dan Wesson I can read.  Is that a Diamondback DB380?  Tactical loading of silver tip hollow points backed up with hard ball.  A beautiful piece. 

canuck750

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 08:33:23 PM »
A small, say 1 ~ 2" utility blade may come in handy for cutting zip ties, bungee chords etc.

I can't imagine having to use a knife in a self defense scenario here in the great white north or my travels in Europe, Mexico or even the USA. I have never once felt threatened in any way in my +55 years that I can recall ever thinking that I wish I had a weapon of any kind (other than the one time a black bear was batting the tent I was sleeping in).

I believe it comes down to perspective, I have spoken to many motorcyclists who only ride major highways, only stay in name brand hotels, always chain up their bikes at night. Sadly I think these folks are basing their actions on irrational fears. Violent crime gas been falling across North America for decades. Most people are decent, well meaning and friendly to strangers.

Just my 2 cents.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »
I'm not going to get into self defense, that's a whole other thread.

But when it comes to a knife/multi-tool, some 12 years ago now I bought my groomsman each a Leatherman for being in the wedding.

The Juice

http://www.leatherman.com/juice-cs4-364.html#gclid=CjwKEAjwzuisBRClgJnI4_a96zwSJACAEZKeI_rXOaQhyGzObAyxAr8LUjrbkWB9z2PKn3d-HRwh1hoCexfw_wcB&start=22

Picked one up for myself too and I tend to keep it on me.

The screwdrivers and pliers are amazing from a precision standpoint, the bottle and wine openers are handy, like the scissors, knife, saw, and other bits.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:36:54 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
The Dan Wesson I can read.  Is that a Diamondback DB380?  Tactical loading of silver tip hollow points backed up with hard ball.  A beautiful piece.

Guardian .45(alloy frame)
Not tactical....only had some old rounds lying around and wanted to take a picture when I first got it home a couple weeks ago. :boozing:  However Mr. UPS man just dropped off 1050 rounds. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:41:42 PM by DucatiSSsp »
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »

But when it comes to a knife/multi-tool, some 12 years ago now I bought my groomsman each a Leatherman for being in the wedding.

The Juice

http://www.leatherman.com/juice-cs4-364.html#gclid=CjwKEAjwzuisBRClgJnI4_a96zwSJACAEZKeI_rXOaQhyGzObAyxAr8LUjrbkWB9z2PKn3d-HRwh1hoCexfw_wcB&start=22

The screwdrivers and pliers are amazing from a precision standpoint, the bottle and wine openers are handy, like the scissors, knife, saw, and other bits.

Keep one of the original leatherman w/ me on my job.  Been meaning to buy the one you have pictured for quite some time.... :drool: Kinda pricey tho!   :undecided:
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »

The Juice

The screwdrivers and pliers are amazing from a precision
 standpoint, the bottle and wine openers are handy, like the scissors, knife, saw, and other bits.

Where are the feeler gauges and timing light ? :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
How 'bout a V42 fighting knife? It worked for the First Special Service Force when they liberated Italy. I'll darn sure slice up you're salami now :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here