« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
Scrubbing bubbles are pretty cool.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
Re: Dow
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »
OOOOO Bubble!!
I like the caulk.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
I just got home and I'm assessing the storm damage to my house.  The wind damaged the roof (even more than before) and the ceiling is leaking in the bedroom.  I'm thinking of reroofing over the leaky tin sheeting using DOW adhesive/sealer instead of screws.  One ongoing problem is that the roof gets all floppy with wind and earthquakes and rips through the screws.  Then the water finds its way in.  Do you folks have a recommendation for a DOW (or 3M if we want to drift the topic) adhesive/sealer that might be right for the job?

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »
Buy,buy,buy.  Or is it bye,bye,bye........
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
What do folks here feel about this?

Just numbers. Driven by people's emotions, fears, hopes.   The only science behind it is "mob mentality".   

It goes up, it comes down.   Over any 20 year period, it goes up.    Long term investments; people trying to "time" the market are like slot players at Vegas - the sharpers love to see them show up .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
Oven cleaner rocks!
Dave
Galveston

Long standing rule?  Policy? Gentlemans agreement?  No politics, religion, and mayhaps financial advice? 

Dave
Galveston

Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
Oven cleaner rocks!
Dave
Galveston

Long standing rule?  Policy? Gentlemans agreement?  No politics, religion, and mayhaps financial advice? 

Dave
Galveston

We've done financial advice a hundred times on here.   Far as I know, no one's gone bananas like they do over US Presidents, oil and tires for Guzzis, and computer operating systems, all of which start fights.   

There's a lot of old guys doing very well financially here.   I like to hang around them and pick up a tidbit or two ....

Lannis

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
Hold what you got.
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
Ridin' the storm out. Looking for sunshine and calmer waters.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »
I agree with hold on tight and ride it out. I will say that I have wondered a bit as to if I picked a bad time to retire but I am not too concerned. At the moment it is kind of a double whammy with the stock market and then I also have wheat, soybeans and milo and those prices are now the lowest in years. I am still sitting on all of my wheat crop now wishing I has sold it right off the truck when the price was about $1.80 a bushel higher. Damn, I wish my marketing crystal ball worked better.
On the positive front farm land price are still holding strong in my area but I wonder how long that will last if grain prices continue to stay low. China needs to get there shit back together.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »
Gas prices are going down  :bow:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:12 PM »
I am bad at investment decisions, but I've believed that the market has been inflated for a decade now, and have been waiting for a big "correction".  Maybe this is the beginning of it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:06:54 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
If this is a big adjustment of the market, it is about the last one I can out wait if I ever plan on retiring.  I guess I'll have to see what happens and decide how long and how much I can keep in the market.

It seems the market has no correlation anymore with value and we are being played by the big boys.  They run it up, sell it off, and the little guy loses their investments.  But no other game in town.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
I am bad at investment decisions, but I've believed that the market has been inflated for a decade now, and have been waiting for a big "correction".  Maybe this is the beginning of it.

Well not quite a decade.   It smashed down pretty hard in 2007/2008 and it's been a long grind back up.   :boxing:

But who knows what the market "Should" be, and if a "correction" is required?    Kind of like "What SHOULD we be paying for gasoline?"

In retirement now, I've reduced my exposure to the stock market to about 30% or less;  the other 70% goes up very slowly or not at all when the stock market is bullish and growing, but holds its ground and in fact goes up in value when the stock market tanks .... I'm looking forward to seeing how much I make off this .... !   :evil:

Some people don't like to do that because they don't like to miss the occasional 5-year 16% return that the stocks will show.  And for a man with a 25 year horizon to earn money for retirement, 100% stocks is the aggressive way to go.   But they get pounded when the market drops, and it ALWAYS drops WAY faster than it rises ....  I'm happy with an overall lifetime 5 or 6%, which is what the 18th Century British Naval Funds earned long term, and what a 17th Century investor in Japanese rice futures would earn etc. etc for the last 500 years.   If you get greedy, you'd better be lucky too!!    :thumb:

Lannis

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
Oh -- THAT dow.

Since you asked -- I think it's an industry powered entirely by greed and dishonesty.  It's one of the few things a person can engage in that can't produce win/win scenarios, and in my opinion it's what the philosopher meant when he said "love of money is the root of all evil."  Completely disgusting.  I'll work for what I've got, thanks.

$0.01 (on account of I won't give them the other $0.01)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
Yeah, I have weaker balance sheet than I did a couple of days ago for sure.

I just find it's best not to touch it but it was a tough slog from 2008 - 2011.  I've found that I could never time the market. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
I would say tomorrow will tell the tale. It broke through long time support today.. if it goes down again tomorrow, it'll sell off. Greed, Hope, Fear, etc. still works, no matter the market. Human nature doesn't change.
You can send all your money for this advice to my off shore account.
Thank you.

:smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »
I would say tomorrow will tell the tale. It broke through long time support today.. if it goes down again tomorrow, it'll sell off. Greed, Hope, Fear, etc. still works, no matter the market. Human nature doesn't change.
You can send all your money for this advice to my off shore account.
Thank you.

:smiley:

Your reputation as a Wise Old Man and as an Ace Stock Market Analyst will be either made or broken forever this week .....  :bow:

Lannis

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
 :1:  Low Ryter
If I had my druthers I would be 90% in CD and US gov. bonds but the sobs that control money in this country have lowered interest rates to the point of no returns.  So responsible investors and savers are punished.  almost all of my stock exposer is in blue chip divided paying stocks,pipeline mlps and health care reits.  I have enough cash raised so I can afford to ride this out and wait for better times.   I think the key is not to panic.
Gian4   

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
What do folks here feel about this?

When in worry, fear or doubt - Run in circles, Scream and Shout!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
Paranoia strikes deep in the Heartland
I think it's all overblown
Exaggerate this, exaggerate that
They don't have no fun.

Paul Simon

Ride it out, men. You should enough of your considerable wealth in cash to live a few years without touching that IRA.
But whatever, WHATEVER, you do, don't sell that Guzzi.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
 What's a little thousand point drop anyway?  It's an opportunity.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Penderic

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
I just got home and I'm assessing the storm damage to my house.  The wind damaged the roof (even more than before) and the ceiling is leaking in the bedroom.  I'm thinking of reroofing over the leaky tin sheeting using DOW adhesive/sealer instead of screws.  One ongoing problem is that the roof gets all floppy with wind and earthquakes and rips through the screws.  Then the water finds its way in.  Do you folks have a recommendation for a DOW (or 3M if we want to drift the topic) adhesive/sealer that might be right for the job?

I would consider the roof coating materials made by Rhino Lino, the makers of truck bed coatings.

Whynot just upgrade to a better home .....

Alaska style!  :grin:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
That house would be an upgrade -- a better foundation, boat parking space and a water view.  How can that be bad?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
:1:  Low Ryter
If I had my druthers I would be 90% in CD and US gov. bonds but the sobs that control money in this country have lowered interest rates to the point of no returns.  So responsible investors and savers are punished.  almost all of my stock exposer is in blue chip divided paying stocks,pipeline mlps and health care reits.  I have enough cash raised so I can afford to ride this out and wait for better times.   I think the key is not to panic.
Gian4   

it's pretty clear IMO there is too much capital and not enough customers.  There is too much savings looking for yield, while there are too few folks with money that can afford to buy goods and services from the capitalists.   This leads to bubbles, whether in the stock market, classic cars, foreign markets, housing, etc.

I agree that high yielding stocks seem like good long term investments but these corporations are increasing profits by productivity gains (i.e., layoffs) instead of growth.  Certainly staples, such as health care and necessities will be somewhat immune.   

I've never been able to time the market.  I think Chuck might be right that the market will go down but timing to get out and back in for me is difficult to impossible.  Technical analysis is interesting, there is some theory and hard data to support it but it's still quite difficult to predict the future.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:32:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
We've done financial advice a hundred times on here.   Far as I know, no one's gone bananas like they do over US Presidents, oil and tires for Guzzis, and computer operating systems, all of which start fights.   

Lannis

I like conservative progressive oil and tires on my presidents computer OS.

I think.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »
Two Griso's or a Griso and a Norge for me.  Ouch I shouldn't have looked....

Good news is why all you old baby boomer farts are sucking down the rest of SS I'll still be working for you.  At least until I move to Costa Rica.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here