Author Topic: Small Block Guys - Why?  (Read 19432 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Re: Small Block Guys - Why?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
Not interview worthy information, but I love jumping on my old Vespas and prefer them over the Guzzi in many situations, like running to the grocery store around the corner. Feels less stressful to ride at times, and then I get renewed reward when I ride the guzzi again after the Vespa, so it's a constant win-win.

May not be the same for smaller motorcycles you're inquiring about, but what's nice about the Vespa, or at least the models I own is that you can sit a bag of charcoal, or a 12-pack soda pack on the floorboards and go.. Sometimes both those things at once, and sometimes even more!

That's my experience as well.  I find the Vespa is quite stress free compared to my v7 stone.  The GTS '300' motor (i think its really only 270 or so cc's) allows me to just enjoy the ride without a clutch, with weight down low, leg shield covering much or your body, just a relatively quite and pleasant ride.  With a top box, I've carried multiple bags of groceries, gallons of milk, cases of soda, etc.  So a practical aspect is gained over the Guzzi.

Maybe age also has something to do with it, but I'm just not so much in a hurry as I once was. 

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »
I bought a VF750F when that first 'super bike' came off the production line. I think it weighed 550 pounds. Even the tiny front tire couldn't help it feeling like a barge after I tried the new (then) GSXR. Sold one, bought one; thought I was 'there'. Then a buddy put me on his RZ350...... and a fan of 'small' was born. At one point I owned a Morini 3 1/2 and still, to this day, feel it was the most fun machine I've ever owned. As for my current V7; it has about 25k km on it over three summers of riding here in Yukon and Alaska. It tours, it commutes, it has been past the ton any number of times and can whistle through bends that scare the footboards off the Harley guys I occasionally ride with. Ironically I chose small because I wanted to be ale to pick it up if/when it /I fell over. Then I developed rheumatoid arthritis and may be restricted to riding to town and back ... or just looking at it wistfully. Who knows?
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I love my Vespa GTS Super 300 with ABS and traction control. It is light-weight, easy to handle, and very quick, and it always puts a smile on my face! Plus, for the kind of riding I do on it, I do not always feel the need to gear up for battle. (Please, no preaching!)

I think many riders are ordinary people who like to ride now and then but not all the time, and certainly not in heavy traffic, in the dark, and in the rain. A light-weight, easily maneuverable bike is just the ticket!

I love my Norge, too, but it is different: much more serious and heavy, requiring a much greater commitment when taking it out for a ride (heaving it into position for take-off), riding it, and putting it away (heaving it back into its stored position).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
Being under 50 years of age, it seems like I'm one of the younger guys riding a V7ii.  I "gave up" more than 50hp in downsizing from my ST4S street bike.  I have been riding for a long time, and have lots of track days on some pretty fast bikes.  So why did I do it?

Because I realized that it is much easier to have fun at a reasonable pace on this thing.  Sure, the stock suspension is crap, but I've fixed that already. The cheap insurance is a bonus, but it's not why  I did it.  I wanted a 400 lb bike that was a bit different.

I normally ride with bikes that have twice the horsepower, so it can be challenging when it comes time to pass.  But I get by ok and just plan my moves a bit more.  It gets interesting when the road gets twisty, as I normally pass most of them - and that's the point - you can't judge a bike by the numbers.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
 I guess I do have something to add after all.  As mentioned above, with the lower HP there are passes you just can't pull off.
But, when I was on a much higher powered bike with nowhere to pass or having to make yet another "stoopid" maneuver to get around someone in the twisties-well, now instead of riding 15 miles all frustrated and looking to jet by I can just back off for a moment and then ride full out for a while until I catch up again.  Repeat as needed and Bob's your Uncle.  No need to get risky.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline DucDucGuzz

• Part 3
  • New Egg
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
Your bike looks spectacular Guzz. Please take the silly leather "thing" off the key. It'll just bugger up the finish on an otherwise gorgeous machine and for no good reason. Can we see the rest of your lovely bike ?

Thank you sir! >10K miles and no issues with that leather key holder. Hahaha... The thing that DID cause some issues was the tank bag I use when I take it on longer trips. I make sure I "tape up" the area of the tank that was in risk of contact with the bag handle. But no big deal. More updates coming this year, but here she is in touring mode before the tail was cleaned up and clip-ons installed...
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
My solution.........If you are having problems with a heavy bike there is no need to sell it, stick a sidecar on it.   If you want to have fun without the hassle this is the way to go........... No more putting it on a stand, no more putting your feet down, and the ability to take all your stuff with you.

The only disadvantage is everyone including your dog wants to ride in the sidecar, and constantly having to wave back at people wherever you go..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
Thank you sir! >10K miles and no issues with that leather key holder. Hahaha... The thing that DID cause some issues was the tank bag I use when I take it on longer trips. I make sure I "tape up" the area of the tank that was in risk of contact with the bag handle. But no big deal. More updates coming this year, but here she is in touring mode before the tail was cleaned up and clip-ons installed...

Ok good to hear mate. Looks great, enjoy !

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
One other thing is the population in the US and how many people are on two wheels.  Around our area, admittedly a university is here, there are a TON of scooters.  I would even venture to say that there are as many scooters on the road at any one time as there are motorcycles.

Far, far different than when I was a kid.  Back then the only people who rode scooters were ones who could not afford a 'real' motorcycle.

So, there is another huge component of people who have gone smaller and lighter on two wheels.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
Campuses are different. People are always graduating and leaving town. That means lots of used scooters, cheap. Not like in a big city.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Brevaman

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
I think for many of us, the small block is the culmination of a progression of bikes.  We may not start on a big block (not a great idea anyway), but we follow the "bigger is better" mindset - until we experience the consequence of piloting a big machine. 
I got back into riding 7 years ago with a '90 K100LT, a lovely 600 lb. 90 hp machine.  The first time I dropped it going out to look at a lighthouse north of St. John, NL trying to turn around going uphill on gravel.  The second time I pulled in for gas, re-set the trip meter or some other silly thing, over which time I forgot I hadn't put the side stand down.  By the time I realized my mistake the bike was too far over to catch.....Pretty embarrassing as I had to ask the kid watching me to help me right it: I was trapped between the bike and the island. 

After a couple incidents like that, I realized I'd rather feel like I'm commanding my mount; not piloting it.  I suspect I'm not alone.  I'm 5'8", 170 and although 67, I'm a retired mason so pretty fit.  The last thing I want to feel is trepidation while parking or moving my motorcycle.

On my last bike, a 650 Vstrom, I didn't mind being on the balls of my feet - at first.  Even that began to bother me, especially after putting down a low side foot at a stop and not be able to get the bike back upright without being rescued by a friend.

My Breva750 may be considered a girl's bike but when I compare it to the "big" bikes of the '60s and '70s, it's a very full size motorcycle.  I'm reminded of how heavy it is every time I take it off the side stand, which I think has the bike leaned over a bit far.  Then getting on and being on flat feet is a very reassuring feeling. 
I don't lust for bigger faster bikes anymore.  I'd get another dual sport but my knees aren't able to absorb shock when riding on the pegs like they did even a few years ago.  I'm so happy to own a bike that I love it's looks and the sound it makes.   :thumb:

It's a journey, that progression that many of us small block owners go through.  Happy to have arrived... :grin:
'08 Breva 750, the pretty one
'16 CB500X
'11 Suzuki DL650A sold
'09 Yamaha XT250 sold
'90 BMW K100LT sold
'80 Suzuki G850L sold
'70 R75/5 Black Beauty sold

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
For me, as a relatively new rider, I needed something with more power since I live in the sticks, but wanted something still light and easy to maneuver.  I generally don't like larger vehicles.  My car is a subcompact.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:33 AM »
Health and strength issues forced a downsizing...

Also a desire to simplify...

Now that I'm here, I keep asking myself if the smallblocks have a better power to weight ratio?

My Nevada at 400 lbs has 48 ponies...8.3

compared to

EV at 550-625 pounds with 65 ponies...call it six hundred pounds...9.2. Somehow, the lighter Nevada feels better..

Also it's a return to my origins of learning on a light quick mid weight bike. I've gotten tired of big barges...but I only do 100 mile short trips anymore
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
Health and strength issues forced a downsizing...

Also a desire to simplify...

Now that I'm here, I keep asking myself if the smallblocks have a better power to weight ratio?

My Nevada at 400 lbs has 48 ponies...8.3

compared to

EV at 550-625 pounds with 65 ponies...call it six hundred pounds...9.2. Somehow, the lighter Nevada feels better..

Also it's a return to my origins of learning on a light quick mid weight bike. I've gotten tired of big barges...but I only do 100 mile short trips anymore

I suspect your numbers are off a bit.

That Nevada # is crankshaft and not rear but that EV number is RWHP.

And neither takes YOUR weight into consideration which is a bigger percentage increase in weight (which will hurt the ratio) to the Nevada than the Cali.

Now if you do look at RWHP figures but ignore rider weight a Jackal and a Roamer are almost identical hp/weight ratio.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:49:39 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Jurgen

• Hatchling
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
When I started riding back in the 50's I had 2 Indians, 74 inch and 37 inch.  Stripped and fun to ride.  Since then nothing but BMW airheads.  I noticed that I only went fast in the desert, Calif. freeways were their own speed limiters.  The back country was too beautiful not to enjoy, so smaller bikes seemed to be the answer, and I was getting older and weaker.  The last one before the B750 was an F650 that fell over on me 3 times while standing still, so time for a bike with good performance and sized for a 29" inseam.  I ride at 7000' and above and the Breva 750 is fast and nimble enough to keep up with anyone I want to keep up with.  So far, the perfect bike (except not starting once in a while).

Jurgen
Jurgen

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
My Breva750 may be considered a girl's bike but when I compare it to the "big" bikes of the '60s and '70s, it's a very full size motorcycle. 

I think that name originated from when they first came out. One of the (few) accessories available fro it was a lower by 30mm drop seat for the vertically challenged. They did refer to it as a "ladies" seat, females tending to be shorter. At that stage (around 2003) big block owners tended to sneer at the small blocks, mixed in the seat reference, and called it a girls bike.

Now I am pleased to say many have come to appreciate the modern small blocks. I found it interesting on W.G. to see the gradual transformation. Many started by grabbing the "wife's Breva" to duck down to the hardware  store as it was much easier to handle around town.

The rest as they say, is history. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline DucDucGuzz

• Part 3
  • New Egg
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
Here's something... Why are most of the Guzzi riders (here at least), old geezers like me and even older geeeeezers like you? :grin: Ducati and Triumph are longstanding brands as well and they seem to have more evenly-spread rider demographic. What is it about Guzzi that attracts the old & crusty grumps? Present company included...
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
For me, light is right, so I always drive/ride the smallest, lightest machine I can, and which can satisfy my needs.

Less, is best. 

After all, Pirsig traveled cross county on a Honda 305.  Two up, as well.

No one needs more.  Put a harness on your ego.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
Here's something... Why are most of the Guzzi riders (here at least), old geezers like me and even older geeeeezers like you? :grin: Ducati and Triumph are longstanding brands as well and they seem to have more evenly-spread rider demographic. What is it about Guzzi that attracts the old & crusty grumps? Present company included...

With age comes wisdom, they say. At some point in your life you realize that a Guzzi can be forever. No need to lose 5K (or more) in depreciation on a new bike that really won't do anything better than what you have every 2 or 3 years..
I was looking at a $15K Ducati sport tourer the other day. Pretty thing in white. As nearly as I can tell, though, the Mighty Scura will do everything that duck will do, so I serviced the Ohlins forks (better than the duck's) greased the steering head bearings, installed new tires, and cleaned up a few years worth of rust and corrosion. <shrug> It'll still be soldiering on when many high dollar bikes are in the boneyard.  :smiley: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »

Wrong question, IMO.  The real question is "What is it about Guzzi that doesn't attract the young'uns? 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Wrong question, IMO.  The real question is "What is it about Guzzi that doesn't attract the young'uns?

Good point. The Kid was a duck guy. He was in his 30s and said he was "still too young" for a Guzzi.  :smiley: I'd just finished up a major service on the Centauro, and told him to suit up and take it out. After a while, he was gone considerably longer than I expected. I began to worry. Did I forget to properly torque something? Has he crashed??
Finally, I heard it coming down the road. He got off, and said, "I'd never have believed it, but this sled will outrun my Duck." I said, "<shrug>"  :smiley: Not too long after that, he bought his first, a greenie, and has had nothing but Guzzis since.
Guzzis have a rep for being overbuilt and under powered. That's my guess why most kids aren't interested.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »

With age comes wisdom

Precisely what I was going to say.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
Some of us are trying to bring the average down.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »
Young guys need to see someone famous do something noteworthy (in their eyes), on a given bike for it to have any attraction to them. They are less likely to want to exist, or be seen to be a fringe element. When Guzzi start winning WSBK races, there will be a new super factory gracing the shores of Lake Como to adjust to customer demand. I sorta hope it never happens 'cos I don't want to see Guzzies become " common" although I'll readily admit it would help secure brand longevity. I'm starting to care less about such things, I think I'll be dead before my bike is...

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »
  I've shown this before, it interests me:    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2016/2016-Honda-Bulldog.htm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:52:45 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2017, 05:19:03 AM »
Some of us are trying to bring the average down.
That's what I was doing when I started riding Guzzis in my 30's.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Brevaman

• New Egg
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
The Bulldog looks interesting, Shorty.  I couldn't find the weight.  Tire choices will be limited, I suspect.  Not too different than my CB500X except it probably doesn't have the ground clearance or suspension travel of an X.  Thinking about it, I'm not sure what demographic this bike is targeting, other than short folks.
'08 Breva 750, the pretty one
'16 CB500X
'11 Suzuki DL650A sold
'09 Yamaha XT250 sold
'90 BMW K100LT sold
'80 Suzuki G850L sold
'70 R75/5 Black Beauty sold

Offline mainelytriumph

• New Egg
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
Ok Chuck,   When and where did you get that beautiful little Monza?  That is wicked cool and I might have to go visit you just to try it out.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Ok Chuck,   When and where did you get that beautiful little Monza?  That is wicked cool and I might have to go visit you just to try it out.

Hiya Rolf! Of course, you're always welcome.  :thumb: :smiley: I was laying in the hospital recovering from a cancer operation. Brad was there surfing on his phone, and said, "Haven't you been looking for a Monza for a long time?" "Uhh, yeah." "There's one on Ebay in Pennsylvania, looks like it is unmolested, and the price is right. Want me to hit the buy it now?" Knowing full well a guy shouldn't make any decisions with some major drugs floating around in his system, I said, "Uhhh, no." He said, "Are you sure? I'll deliver it..you know as well as I do that they don't come up for sale very often." "Uhhh, let me see it."  :grin:
Naturally, he was giving me a little something to cheer me up, and it did. I actually got a little excited.  :smiley:
It's a hoot, and will *probably* be my last motorcycle purchase.
If you want to go to the Wisconsin rally, I'll bring it up to Brad's place for you to ride..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »
The Bulldog looks interesting, Shorty.  I couldn't find the weight.  Tire choices will be limited, I suspect.  Not too different than my CB500X except it probably doesn't have the ground clearance or suspension travel of an X.  Thinking about it, I'm not sure what demographic this bike is targeting, other than short folks.

I don't know, either, but it would be a hoot in camo with the optional rope pull starter  :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here