Author Topic: Why won't they do it ?..(for Kremmen)  (Read 30245 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why won't they do it ?
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »
All these comments about small fuel tanks is cracking me up. I rode 137k miles on my 4 gallon Yamaha xs 1100 that got on a good day 33 miles per gallon. Sucking fumes at 120 miles. Did it for 30+ years. It is ALWAYS what you make of it.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
All these comments about small fuel tanks is cracking me up. I rode 137k miles on my 4 gallon Yamaha xs 1100 that got on a good day 33 miles per gallon. Sucking fumes at 120 miles. Did it for 30+ years. It is ALWAYS what you make of it.

Yeah, and I used to ride Harley Sportsters with 2.25 gallon and 3.25 gallon tanks.  Great when I rode mainly around a metro area and didn't take long trips.  Loved those bikes, for their intended purpose.

Doesn't change the fact that spending time in gas station SUCKS!  And short range SUCKS!

Give me 5-gallons+ and 200-miles+ range, please.  One of the cool things about most of the Guzzis I've owned is the generous range they have. 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »

In a place that is literally 1.5 times the size of Texas with 8% of the population?

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Always enjoy gas tank size discussions, brings out the extreme examples :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
Always enjoy gas tank size discussions, brings out the extreme examples :boozing:
I do love a good “mine’s bigger than yours” story. :popcorn:

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
I do love a good “mine’s bigger than yours” story. :popcorn:
:whip2:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »
Could be the reason ....

:cheesy:
That geezer/guy/bloke, on the bike looks a like a budding mechanic I met in Bungendore..!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:53:08 PM by Huzo »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2019, 05:48:03 PM »

I must be insane to expect it to also function as transport, 200kms when ridden in a sportsman like manner is what I expect/require, Aprilia V4 is between 120 and 140kms ducatis 1098 is about 150 ish through recent years manufacturers have been putting smaller and smaller tanks with steadily more powerful engines.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »
I rode my H-D Sportster with peanut tank and bolted to a side car for two years,
lots and lots of gas stops. =my example of an extreme example.
So is bringing up riding in a place "literally 1.5 times the size of Texas with 8% of the population"...
I just didn't get your point.
I would think these types of examples cover an extremely small percentage of potential buyers.
Maybe I'm wrong.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2019, 05:58:50 AM »
I'd just like Guzzi to come up with something original for a change.  I'm a mite fed up with all this derivative crap.  Multitudinous microvariations around a basic theme that only a non-discerning hipster might love.

Retro be buggered.  All this 'artisinal' palaver is all very fine i suppose if it appeals.  But to me it's not the Guzzi I remember.  Guzzi were traditionally renowned for innovation and a heavy dose of 'difference'.  These days it's anything but.  Change the colour, the OEM supplier of maybe some wheels/mufflers/suspension, add a handful of cubic capacity & call it 'new'...   Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

OK.  The Racer was maybe 'different' but it also seemed to try a little too hard on the retro-cool front too.  The current efforts, worthy as they may very well be, are just a bit too safe, a bit too bland, a bit too much like what has come before.  Those now discontinued 'big block' models:  Griso & Stelvio were sufficiently 'different' to qualify as original.  Yes, there's been litrebike plus roadsters & cruisers before, not to mention the previous 650NTX & Quota, but each of these 2 latter-day models is nevertheless uniquely divergent too.

The V85 is sufficiently, commendably revised to perhaps qualify as 'new'.  It's pretty far removed from its rough road predecessors, and all the V7/V9 Roamer, Bobber, Racer, Ducker, Weaver, Wobbler, Tosser, Wanker derivative clones.  Despite being described as a 'classic' Enduro of the same lineage as the NTX & Quota.

Let's see yet another 'original' V85 roadster next down the production line eh Piaggio?  Not just another slightly different colour or combo of OEM supplied componentry......pl ease.

Of course, I'm just as likely as anybody else - maybe more so - of talking out my arse.  I've always had the propensity.  But much as I'd love a 'new' MGS-01 or even Le Mans variant that actually 'works' well, as opposed to merely looking good,  it isn't going to happen.  The extremity of the former (guessing here, never ridden one), and the sheer shittiness of operation of the latter (slow, gutless, abysmally suspended, heavy extreme clutch & unwillingness to corner with anything approaching acceptability) ensures neither will Thankfully ever see the light of day.  At best, only a fairly bland, relatively characterless pastiche of their former idiosyncratic nature will result, pleasing only perhaps the uninspired and uninitiated.

The Piaggio/Aprilia/Guzzi collective can produce great bikes.  Given enough rope.  Their latest model's almost universal acclaim supports my thesis.  Coming as it does from such mundane & pedestrian origins, componentry and a developmental micro-budget it against all odds appears to be a resounding success.

But I fear that producing yet another variant of what has gone before for a fickle, sycophantic bunch of beard-balm wearing hipster fashion-victims will eventually fail.  Guzzi's greatness has historically arisen from their uniqueness & innovation, rather than their ability to produce clones for clones.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:04:07 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »
What do you mean ?

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Not really sure Huzo.  Just summat that hasn't been recycled a half dozen times already.

Something fresh (for MG anyway):  a barebones stripper maybe?  An Ohlins-clad USD forked Super Moto?  A protectively faired super-tourer?  A knobby tyred scrambler?  Buggered if I know really.... I'm really only navel-gazing a bit.  It's sometimes fun to speculate about what-ifs.

As sure as shooting it'd prolly be a crap seller anyway.  Which is why I suppose Piaggio management keep such a tight reign on proceedings, esp. the purse-strings.  The 'safer' option might be boring, but I assume this is where the sales figures are.

Still, it's nice to dream....
Severus bastardis

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »
An update on the B750 with the V85TT engine, and a half fairing, single shock as per the TT.

Guzzis are still unique - no engine anything like it.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
The guys who are good at making sport bikes can't sell sport bikes. That model is struggling.

You have not seen much advancement in Japanese sport bikes because no one buys them. Ducati is doing 'OK', but they can tolerate lower volumes.

Small (newbie), naked, and adventure bikes are what is selling. Dumping money into a bike not even the OP will buy...not a smart move. They will be heavy and slow. Not a good combo. Look at how many people went out an bought a V7 racer...

The 1200s are dead (and so is the CARC),
the 1400s are on the way out
the V7,8,9 are all small blocks of ancient tech. I wouldn't hang my hat on an under powered heavy 'sport' bike.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Just joking Knuckles.
A good read, nice to get some buggers talking.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
They need to build a V4 and single!  :wink: :grin:

Charlie

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2019, 11:12:25 PM »
A V4 of about 1200-1300 with decent ohlins suspension and a kerb weight of under 200 kilos and a riding position like the Griso or a R9T would be brilliant.
Wyno

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »
A V4 of about 1200-1300 with decent ohlins suspension and a kerb weight of under 200 kilos and a riding position like the Griso or a R9T would be brilliant.

Its called the Aprilia Tuono they've recently beefed up the midrange in the latest edtion.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
I'm hoping they don't sit on their hands for too long.   Just paid off the mortgage..... :cheesy:

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
I'm hoping they don't sit on their hands for too long.   Just paid off the mortgage..... :cheesy:

This is the issue I have I don't buy bikes very often and the last one put it off for quiet a bit of time but I'm getting to that piont, the local shop is complaining he is hemoraging customers that had Lemans 1100 sports daytona's etc and there is nothing to go to from Guzzi. The workshop pays the bills not the sales but with no bikes to bring in repeat customers, it has a lifespan, the cali's V7's kinda ticking over the V9's have done nothing.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
I haven't sat down and dnone the numbers but the MGS likes to drink at a track day you will fit another 12 to 14 litres in at lunchtime if the leave it you'll get the wonderful sounds of silience half way through a session. The other quirk of the MGS actually its not a qurick its really !@#$ed is the tank is black plastic, the consturction of the tank is not the problem the colour is.

No fuel gauge no low fuel light and unlike carbs which will give you cough cough splutter when the FI pump runs out of pressure it just stops. Trying to determine the level down through the rather skinny filler neck is a PITA. The only real way is to calibrate a stick or fill it, filling it is a bit hit and miss as the tank goes from a very large volume down to a very small filler neck very suddenly so you don't get a lot of warning. Normally however you are at a track and have trailered it to the track with associated support parafinalia like some extra fuel which at worse you are a couple of kms away from. Not wondering if you can do 30-60 kms on the low fuel light.
Murray..
Please re read your comments, add punctuation, fix the spelling and proof read before posting.
Here...is....the... .point...!
The MGS tank will hold 20 litres.
A Griso tank is 17 litres......?
A mythical MGS with a “ mighty Griso” engine will therefore go about 15% FURTHER on a tank of fuel than a lard arsed Griso.
The other stuff is extraneous dribble.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:25:16 PM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
 Dunno , who started this unicorn thread anyway ?

Dusty

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
Dunno , who started this unicorn thread anyway ?

Dusty
Sometimes I go and re- read something that holds new significance in the light of changing circumstances Dusty.
I only wanted to point out in response to the “small tank” comments in regard to the MGS, that it holds significantly more than a Griso and it would not have the thirst issues of the MGS mill, given that the engine is standard Griso in my lovely little dream.
And also Dusty..
There are longer running threads by a large margin than this one... :wink:

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »
I can’t believe they are going to abandon the 1400 motor.   I think we will see it in something new soon.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
I can’t believe they are going to abandon the 1400 motor.   I think we will see it in something new soon.

1400s sold in the hundreds while V7s and V9s have sold in the thousands.

I will not be surprised to learn that the 1400s are dead and gone.  It's interesting that there are none newer than 2017 on the market, which probably indicates they're already out of production.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

pete roper

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »
I'm pretty certain the 1400 won't be around much longer. It is riven with engineering challenges and barely works as it is. The Big Block has reached the end of the line. It's time for it to be put in a boat and given a Viking Burial, sad but true.

As for the rest of this discussion? The person I think sounded closest to my beliefs was Knuckle Dragger. Nothing they are currently producing really has much originality or innovation. If I was in charge I'd axe all the current models, abandon the V-Twin and shaft drive and see if they couldn't start building something exciting and different again. A big single like the Vitpillen would be my choice.

Pete

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
As for the rest of this discussion? The person I think sounded closest to my beliefs was Knuckle Dragger. Nothing they are currently producing really has much originality or innovation. If I was in charge I'd axe all the current models, abandon the V-Twin and shaft drive and see if they couldn't start building something exciting and different again. A big single like the Vitpillen would be my choice.

Pete

Well, yes. Only I wouldn´t buy it. Either Kawasaki (W800) or Royal Enfield (650 Interceptor) would sell me a bike. Perhaps even a Sportster Roadster or a Triumph Bonneville could make it. And I would still weep about the loss of the shaft drive.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:23:59 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »
I guess I'm totally off the planet.  I LIKE my V7-a lot.  I'm not supposed to because it's a throwback-old tech-rehash of something?  Had plenty of 125 plus horse power bikes-prefer the V7.  The three guys I know with 1400's absolutely love them.  Two had Harley prior and one had a CalVin.  All say they'd never go back to their old motorcycles.  When I wanted a full fairing bike I rode them all.  Norge was the best of the lot-especially for the money-by a long shot.  There is no way a BMW RT is worth the extra 10K.

I feel like that kid in The Incredibles movie; "Sometimes I don't know what ANYBODY is talking about!"
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
I am happy, really happy when I ride my V7 Stone. Which I bought new at 15 March 2013 (yes, at the 92. birthday of the factory). Whether I ride alone or with friends, whether I make a training at a circuit of the ADAC, I can ride fast through twisties and I always feel I am riding a mechanical, man-made device. Which is beautiful, sounds, feels, smells and looks like a bike from my youth but is cleaner, much more reliable and safer than the old offerings. This is what I wanted. And not a KTM Duke in disguise. I will never say anything against the quality of modern motorcycles. But they mean nothing to me.

The V85 TT however...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:24:54 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
I’ve often thought that technology applied to motorcycles is best used to make them simpler, not more complex.  A sophisticated single is one way to do that, and obviously has the attribute of only one cylinder, but I think the V85TT engine has done the same, only better: a fairly light air cooled engine with 4 valves total, one cam, one throttle body, one crank throw, no counter-balancer and so on... providing fully up to speed, modern performance.  That’s what Guzzi is all about: clever, not complex.

Once again, the self appointed ‘experts’ on things like the ability of air-cooled engine to meet smog laws, Guzzi small blocks to produce more power and the rest have been proved wrong by engineers who do it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:31:55 PM by Tusayan »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here