Author Topic: NGC: For Pete Roper, a BMW R9T Question  (Read 27767 times)

pete roper

Re: NGC: For Pete Roper, a BMW R9T Question
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
This one actually looks resonably OK

That's the one I was thinking of when I mentioned the huge, uninsertable pessary! It looks like a project dreamed up and built in a 'Special Needs' workshop!

Pete

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »
That's the one I was thinking of when I mentioned the huge, uninsertable pessary! It looks like a project dreamed up and built in a 'Special Needs' workshop!

Pete
Can`t say I disagree, from the side it is rather awful!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:56 AM »
Can`t say I disagree, from the side it is rather awful!
So is it reasonably ok, or rather awful ?
Maybe reasonably awful. The rear of the seat looks pox...!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:44:09 AM by Huzo »

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »
But here is a good looking motorcycle. My next purchase this spring

Agreed the Norton is good looking but I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, fine if you just want to look but if you want to ride it's a different story!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
I like the looks of these beemers and some of the modified ones,too.

Wish the R9T cafe white was in pearl paint.
But they are all sort of like a GRiSO without the fizz.  :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
 My opinion,all late model BMW's are hideous.  A Griso is a nice machine but the right side view is  hideous, in fact  the V7 and V9's are the only new Guzzi's that look like motorcycles...But it's only opinion and no one's opinion is worth more than anyone else.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
...But it's only opinion and no one's opinion is worth more than anyone else.

Actually that's not true. The opinion of someone who usually matches the market is worth a lot more, at least to someone trying to sell to that market. [emoji6]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:49:11 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2017, 09:44:33 AM »
..A Griso is a nice machine but the right side view is  hideous,

Agreed, totally.

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »
So I'm the OP, and I appreciate all the opinions, both the informative ones and the humorous. Pete, you must be the absolute sh*t to shoot the breeze with at a party with a few beers in you, IMO the world is a MUCH better place with folks like you in it.
Anyway, aside from the Urban G/S (very nice in the flesh) I've pretty much written off the R9Ts, I just don't think they'll be right as "my only bike", just not versatile enough. Just my opinion. The Urban tugs at me, but again, I don't think it's the right move as I only want one all-purpose bike.
I do, however, think I'm just one test ride away from the t120, it really does feel right and to me it's the perfect all-purpose bike, but I have yet to ride one. I do have and really like a previous generation Bonnie, so I'm familiar with the pros and cons of the bikes, however the older models are just a bit under powered, it gets tiresome feeling like my bike is "done" at 80mph..
As I said, I do love the Grisos, but I'm just not comfortable with the dealer network, and I'd LOVE a V7 Stornello (seen one in the flesh, gorgeous machine....) but same comment applies PLUS I feel like it'll be gutless at times like my current bonnie. 
Anyway, if I buy the T120 i'll report back, in case anyone is interested.
Thanks again...

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »
My bought new GRiSO, with 17k miles so far, has been the most reliable new bike
 I've ever bought (out of 5, all different brands). I expect the following 50k to be just as reliable..
Lack of dealers at every corner (or every state!) just adds to the sense of exclusivity :boozing:
Follow your heart.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Actually that's not true. The opinion of someone who usually matches the market is worth a lot more, at least to someone trying to sell to that market. [emoji6]
what do you mean by "someone's opinion who matches the market" Kev ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »
Agreed, totally.

If you got that stinking cancerous looking radiator off the side and got it where the Norge one is, and gave some symmetry to the pipes, it'd start to please the eye.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
what do you mean by "someone's opinion who matches the market" Kev ?
I'll assume you're not just being obtuse.

Maybe I phrased it too vaguely.

The point was the someone who's opinion (taste or understanding) that tends to align with the majority is more valuable than a person with a fringe opinion shared by few, at least to those looking to sell products designed for appeal to the most customers (which really generally defines most manufacturers).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

beetle

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
You�re all mad! I love the Griso�s asymmetrical look. Phillistines!

:violent1:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2017, 03:03:01 PM »
I'll assume you're not just being obtuse.

Maybe I phrased it too vaguely.

The point was the someone who's opinion (taste or understanding) that tends to align with the majority is more valuable than a person with a fringe opinion shared by few, at least to those looking to sell products designed for appeal to the most customers (which really generally defines most manufacturers).
And I'll assume you're not being argumentative for the sake of it.
Yes that's gotta be true that the opinion of the majority is worth more to a manufacturer because he wants to sell units just to make money. Just keep shoving stuff at people that they'll buy.
Same goes for flat pack kitchens...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »

And I'll assume you're not being argumentative for the sake of it.

Nope just poking Rough...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
You�re all mad! I love the Griso�s asymmetrical look. Phillistines!

:violent1:
Yeah you may have a point Beetle.
I used to go out with a lovely girl in the 80's. She had no right arm, but had two on the left.
Beautiful ! And had something that looked like an electric toaster on her right hip, what could be nicer ?

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »

Nope just poking Rough...

You can poke me, I'm tough   :wink:   I think it was Peter Egan who said never trust a bike you can't see through, I can agree with that...Most modern bikes have dense packing and  can't be trusted...

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
Huzo, you kill me!!! Lol
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2017, 05:45:22 PM »
I'm no BMW poster boy but to my eyes the Racer 9T looks quite lovely.  And the Griso? Absolutely prefect.  The cooler is RIGHT there.  No piss poor attempt to "style" it.  Just like the Rocket 3.  That radiator says "look the F*#k out, I'm coming thru"
I like that.

Opinions?  kev had it right.  Those BMW guys are selling the heck out of the 9T line.  And the Bonnie 1200?  You'll love it-I know I did.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
I'm funny, I think the 9T looks great, and the Griso, and especially most of the v current Bonnie line.

Ironically I'm more cold than hot on many Harley offerings, but I like the CX, Fat Bob, Heritage, Slim, and RK.

The V7, and V9 look good to me.... Thanks Eldo looks good out of the Cali 1400 line, and maybe the MGX, but most CARCS never looked right to me even if I mildly warmed to my B11 over the years I had her.

There's little from JAPanInc that looks right to me. And most Ducatis lose me at go.

I didn't like most Victorys either and of the Indians I might only really like the Scouts.

But I'm funny...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »
I'm funny, I think the 9T looks great, and the Griso, and especially most of the v current Bonnie line.

Ironically I'm more cold than hot on many Harley offerings, but I like the CX, Fat Bob, Heritage, Slim, and RK.

The V7, and V9 look good to me.... Thanks Eldo looks good out of the Cali 1400 line, and maybe the MGX, but most CARCS never looked right to me even if I mildly warmed to my B11 over the years I had her.

There's little from JAPanInc that looks right to me. And most Ducatis lose me at go.

I didn't like most Victorys either and of the Indians I might only really like the Scouts.

But I'm funny...
I'm with you on this ...... I think BMW has done a nice job with the R9T lineup.  It must be doing well, because since its introduction, several additional models have been introduced.  Granted, the BMW Owners Association and BMWRA have several thousand members as a customer base for these bikes, whether Guzzi riders are interested in them or not.

Reminds me of when I parked my 1991 R100GS outside a convenience market to make a purchase.  When I came back outside, an individual was lookiing at the bike.  "Is this yours?"  "Yep."

His comment, "these BMWs are getting stranger and stranger."  "Yep ...... and this one was really strange 20 years ago when I bought it."  I could give a FF what anyone thinks about any bike I ride ..... Beemer, M Guzzi, Kaw, etc, etc, etc .....If I like it, that's good enough for me.

And agreed,  the new T 120 is quite a nice motorcycle.  I've ridden my buddy's a couple of times and have been impressed that  the bike fits him at 6'2, and me at 5'8, with no mods needed.  Lots of torque, and good looks to boot.

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
I do, however, think I'm just one test ride away from the t120, it really does feel right and to me it's the perfect all-purpose bike, but I have yet to ride one. I do have and really like a previous generation Bonnie, so I'm familiar with the pros and cons of the bikes, however the older models are just a bit under powered, it gets tiresome feeling like my bike is "done" at 80mph..
As I said, I do love the Grisos, but I'm just not comfortable with the dealer network, and I'd LOVE a V7 Stornello (seen one in the flesh, gorgeous machine....) but same comment applies PLUS I feel like it'll be gutless at times like my current bonnie. 
Anyway, if I buy the T120 i'll report back, in case anyone is interested.
Thanks again...

You'll like the T120 -- definitely not gutless.   I haven't ridden the T120, but, have risen the (standard) Thurston -- plenty of torque on tap.    The T120, while, it has less HP than the Thruxton, still has all the torque.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

pete roper

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »
Weird thing is that Guzzi twins have never been symmetrical. A few years ago there was even a bloke who had just bought one who was worried because one cylinder *appeared* to be in front of the other! I nearly died laughing! The starter motor on the left, the driveshaft and bevelbox on the right, the whole thing is their appearance is quirky and asymmetric! The tangle of pipes going to the left, the side-mount oil cooler? They are just further touches that make it stand out as 'Different' from the hum-drum and run of the mill.

I'll agree that viewed from the right hand rear the stock plate holder looks intrusive and spoils the lines but most people ditch that for a tail tidy. Not a big deal. The moment I first saw the pics of the prototype I was blown away by the look and knew I had to have one, eleven years and two Griso's later I still think it's a stylistic masterpiece.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
The moment I first saw the pics of the prototype I was blown away by the look and knew I had to have one, eleven years and two Griso's later I still think it's a stylistic masterpiece.

The first time I saw a Griso prototype was in 2001, in the back room area of the Milano show.  I told them that the muffler looked dumb, so did everybody else I heard, but apparently it made no difference!  Regardless as a Centauro re-do I like it much better than the original.

The R9T looks like a Bauhaus inspired, slightly effeminate take on a 60s or 70s cafe Racer, done by somebody without the resources to do it right.  I wouldn't gladly be seen on one.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
Weird thing is that Guzzi twins have never been symmetrical. A few years ago there was even a bloke who had just bought one who was worried because one cylinder *appeared* to be in front of the other! I nearly died laughing! The starter motor on the left, the driveshaft and bevelbox on the right, the whole thing is their appearance is quirky and asymmetric! The tangle of pipes going to the left, the side-mount oil cooler? They are just further touches that make it stand out as 'Different' from the hum-drum and run of the mill.

I'll agree that viewed from the right hand rear the stock plate holder looks intrusive and spoils the lines but most people ditch that for a tail tidy. Not a big deal. The moment I first saw the pics of the prototype I was blown away by the look and knew I had to have one, eleven years and two Griso's later I still think it's a stylistic masterpiece.
Everyone with any taste knows that's true. If it gives you a chubby, it can't be wrong.
Just taking the piss. In all seriousness, it's the the cookie cutter featureless styling of most stuff these days that are sending the whole of human nature in general and biking world in particular, hurtling toward an abyss off mediocrity and governmental regulation. Good on anyone who applauds individuality.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »

But I'm funny...
Well you did say, "I'm not your normal hombre" so I'll settle for you as an "abnormal hombre".
Never short of an opinion and willing to defend it...
Good stuff.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »

Pete
Uninsertable pessary.  Just wanted to write that once in my life.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
Uninsertable pessary.  Just wanted to write that once in my life.
I'd dearly love to use the term, but if someone asked me what it meant, I'd be rooted !

pete roper

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »
A pessary is a sort of pharmaceutical lozenge you push up your blurter Peter. Dear oh dear! Young people nowadays! :rolleyes: Tsk-Tsk!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here