Author Topic: Is it touring capable  (Read 19354 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Is it touring capable
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
OK.  mixed messages in your post. 

First, a Suzuki Vstrom  IS NOT a dual sport bike  (See DR650 for that).  It's not even an ADVbike, unless beaucoup dinero is poured into the project.  And then it's still not a very good ADVbike.  Endless reading on the subject over at ADVrider.com/forums.  Heavy for its displacement.  Wind management issues.  Crappy stock suspension.  Etc, etc...

If you're wanting to tour on a bike that can comfortably go off-pavement, then there are many better choices out there in the mid-sized ADV segment:  Tiger 800, F800GS, F650GSA, KLR650, etc., etc..

If you're just wanting a middle-weight standard touring bike that you can pick up for next to nothing on the used market, then maybe the WeeStrom will fill your bill.  But, don't do it thinking it's a "dual sport bike".
Well thanks for the correction on the identification of a duel sport bike;) but I consider a bike like the Storm, a bike that could handle mild off pavement application, a "dual sport" as Suzuki advertising classifies it as. I realize there are no doubt much better "duel sport " rides out there but  in the price range I'm looking at the Storm looks pretty darn good. Thanks for the response my friend:)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:33:09 AM by Ncdan »

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
I bought a new 2017 V-Strom 650, they had some great pricing, it was ~$7400 OTD with tags, DMV fees, tax, etc.  I consider that a great price for a new and wonderful bike.

I put on the Givi Airflow screen and really like it ... the top part is adjustable, 2 clamps, you flip those one way, slide it to where you like, push clamps back down ... not an electronic on-the-fly adjustment, but very easy.

For pure touring, it is awesome on backroads ... and it will easily run 75-80mph on interstate, but I'd pick another bike if I planned to do a lot of high speed stuff.  I had a ST1300 and at 90 mph it was just loafing along in pure comfort. 

For the offroad part, I really see very little reason the v-strom would be good offroad.  It really is a street moto with some adventure styling.  Seems it would be about the same as taking the SV-650 down a dirt road.  I think that is why the ADV Rider crowd says the suspension is bad ... they try to ride it like a KTM 990 Adventure and get surprised that the V-Strom suspension can't do that. 

But ... on bumpy pavement, back roads that twist and dip, etc, the suspension is great.  It also has some sort of "it is better than all its parts" ... like everything works so well together.  With the large tank and awesome gas mileage and comfortable ergonomics it is very easy to ride for long hours. 

If I wanted a more dirt road bike ... not sure what I'd get.  I've spent time on the BMW 800gs (and own a F800GT), and that motor is very buzzy/vibey, and they cost a lot more than a V-Strom, and they really aren't that great off road.  I actually think I'd pick up a used and not abused KTM 990 Adventure.  Those bikes feel a wee bit heavier than the V-Strom 650, are awesome on dirt roads, and with comparable tires they are probably a better street bike than the V-Strom 650.  One negative is many of them get 30-35 mpg.  Another is oil changes are a pain! 

So if I planned to ride a mile or two down a dirt road to get to a campsite, sure V-Strom 650.  But if I planned to take a multi day ride and make many dirt road trips over mountains (like in Colorado), I'd go KTM 990 Adventure. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
I bought a new 2017 V-Strom 650, they had some great pricing, it was ~$7400 OTD with tags, DMV fees, tax, etc.  I consider that a great price for a new and wonderful bike.

I put on the Givi Airflow screen and really like it ... the top part is adjustable, 2 clamps, you flip those one way, slide it to where you like, push clamps back down ... not an electronic on-the-fly adjustment, but very easy.

For pure touring, it is awesome on backroads ... and it will easily run 75-80mph on interstate, but I'd pick another bike if I planned to do a lot of high speed stuff.  I had a ST1300 and at 90 mph it was just loafing along in pure comfort. 

For the offroad part, I really see very little reason the v-strom would be good offroad.  It really is a street moto with some adventure styling.  Seems it would be about the same as taking the SV-650 down a dirt road.  I think that is why the ADV Rider crowd says the suspension is bad ... they try to ride it like a KTM 990 Adventure and get surprised that the V-Strom suspension can't do that. 

But ... on bumpy pavement, back roads that twist and dip, etc, the suspension is great.  It also has some sort of "it is better than all its parts" ... like everything works so well together.  With the large tank and awesome gas mileage and comfortable ergonomics it is very easy to ride for long hours. 

If I wanted a more dirt road bike ... not sure what I'd get.  I've spent time on the BMW 800gs (and own a F800GT), and that motor is very buzzy/vibey, and they cost a lot more than a V-Strom, and they really aren't that great off road.  I actually think I'd pick up a used and not abused KTM 990 Adventure.  Those bikes feel a wee bit heavier than the V-Strom 650, are awesome on dirt roads, and with comparable tires they are probably a better street bike than the V-Strom 650.  One negative is many of them get 30-35 mpg.  Another is oil changes are a pain! 

So if I planned to ride a mile or two down a dirt road to get to a campsite, sure V-Strom 650.  But if I planned to take a multi day ride and make many dirt road trips over mountains (like in Colorado), I'd go KTM 990 Adventure.
Very objective evaluation on the bike and self experience makes it valuable to ones decision to own one.
My off road woukd be limited to an occasional state maintain dirt road running through the mountains and not much more. From what I'm hearing from most of these guys the V-STROM woukd satisfie that need and they can be bought cheap for a second bike for around town and occasional light to moderate touring when properly equipped.  Thanks for the response!

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »
For one up riding any 650 will do just fine for touring.

I have put on over 30,000 miles on my KLR 650 one up, about 1/3 of that gravel / dirt roads. Just finished a 3000 mile round trip of the Baja and been three times to the arctic circle and the arctic ocean. Properly set, up I find the KLR 650 as comfortable as my two up long range hauler BMW 1600GTL. The only reason I bought the big BMW was for two up comfort riding for my wife as she really likes the high stepped passenger seat and the comfort of the GTL has.

My longest ride was 1025 miles in a day from the California coast to Phoenix a couple years ago averaging 65 mph. For dirt and gravel I don't want a big heavy 'adventure' bike with that front fender hugging the front tire and so-so range. I also don't want a 500 ~ 600 lb beast in the mud or gravel loaded up with another 300 lbs of rider and gear. I saw more big heavy KTM and BMW adventure bikes stuck in the mud in the arctic last year than I could count. If ones adventure is limited to pavement or packed gravel then the jumbo BMW and KTM are fine.

If you are going to stay with gravel and dirt and don't plan on climbing the rock Jeep trails of Colorado then the V-Strom is excellent.

I wish someone would make an under 400 pound adventure bike with about 65 hp and capable of 80 mph highway cruising (admittedly the KLR can cruise at 80 with a 16T front sprocket) a range of 300 miles, a 21 inch front tire with a dirt bike type front fender, fuel injection, decent ground clearance, 8" suspension travel, and a decent seat.

Kawasaki  / Suzuki / Yamaha / Honda are you listening?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
OK.  mixed messages in your post. 

First, a Suzuki Vstrom  IS NOT a dual sport bike  (See DR650 for that).  It's not even an ADVbike, unless beaucoup dinero is poured into the project.  And then it's still not a very good ADVbike.  Endless reading on the subject over at ADVrider.com/forums.  Heavy for its displacement.  Wind management issues.  Crappy stock suspension.  Etc, etc...

If you're wanting to tour on a bike that can comfortably go off-pavement, then there are many better choices out there in the mid-sized ADV segment:  Tiger 800, F800GS, F650GSA, KLR650, etc., etc..

If you're just wanting a middle-weight standard touring bike that you can pick up for next to nothing on the used market, then maybe the WeeStrom will fill your bill.  But, don't do it thinking it's a "dual sport bike".

Whether a bike is “good” or not depends entirely on your priorities.  If one of your top priorities is dealer support then any Guzzi is a piss poor bike.  If traveling as cheap as possible is a priority a used KLR650 is a great bike.  If you GAVE me a KTM I’d sell it and buy something with longer maintenance intervals and better reliability because the level of performance the KTM is capable has no value for me.  It might for you though.  Your priority might be out right performance in which case the financial investment isn’t important and a Multistrada might be a “good” ADV bike. 

People get entirely too pedantic about motorcycle definitions.  Dual sport means it can leave pavement.  To which extent the bias between dirt and pavement performance is weighted is immaterial.  A V-Strom has a 19” front wheel and slightly more suspension travel.  It’s both a dual sport and an ADV bike.  You throw the two terms around like there’s a strict definition for each.  There isn’t.  A Honda CT90 can be dual sport.  It can be an ADVbike and so can a Multistrada. 

Dan wants to venture off pavement.  As has been discussed eleventy billion times, you don’t need a foot of suspension travel and the contents of the entire Touratech catalog on your bike to do it.  Nor do you need a high viz twatsuit or Ohlin’s or 15 different GPS and SPOT barnacles dangling off your handlebars.  There are a lot of Walter Mitty types who talk about needing that crap.  You don’t.  You need nothing other than some judgement and to ride within your own limitations.  Try telling Nick his Eldorado is a crappy bike on gravel and that he shouldn’t have ridden the Trans Taiga on it. 

Nearly half of all the roads in the US are unpaved.  Having a bike with some dirt capabilities(like wheel sizes that accept tires good on gravel) is pretty great regardless of whether it’s orange, has a roundel on the tank or costs 20k.  North America is a big, beautiful place to explore and everyone should do it if they have a chance no matter what bike they do it on.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:30:26 PM by JohninVT »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
Whether a bike is “good” or not depends entirely on your priorities.  If one of your top priorities is dealer support then any Guzzi is a piss poor bike.  If traveling as cheap as possible is a priority a used KLR650 is a great bike.  If you GAVE me a KTM I’d sell it and buy something with longer maintenance intervals and better reliability because the level of performance the KTM is capable has no value for me.  It might for you though.  Your priority might be out right performance in which case the financial investment isn’t important and a Multistrada might be a “good” ADV bike. 

People get entirely too pedantic about motorcycle definitions.  Dual sport means it can leave pavement.  To which extent the bias between dirt and pavement performance is weighted is immaterial.  A V-Strom has a 19” front wheel and slightly more suspension travel.  It’s both a dual sport and an ADV bike.  You throw the two terms around like there’s a strict definition for each.  There isn’t.  A Honda CT90 can be dual sport.  It can be an ADVbike and so can a Multistrada. 

Dan wants to venture off pavement.  As has been discussed eleventy billion times, you don’t need a foot of suspension travel and the contents of the entire Touratech catalog on your bike to do it.  Nor do you need a high viz twatsuit or Ohlin’s or 15 different GPS and SPOT barnacles dangling off your handlebars.  There are a lot of Walter Mitty types who talk about needing that crap.  You don’t.  You need nothing other than some judgement and to ride within your own limitations.  Try telling Nick his Eldorado is a crappy bike on gravel and that he shouldn’t have ridden the Trans Taiga on it. 

Nearly half of all the roads in the US are unpaved.  Having a bike with some dirt capabilities(like wheel sizes that accept tires good on gravel) is pretty great regardless of whether it’s orange, has a roundel on the tank or costs 20k.  North America is a big, beautiful place to explore and everyone should do it if they have a chance no matter what bike they do it on.
Well spoken John Boy, well spoken 👍

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »

John,

If you can have your definitions of what "is" and "is not", so can I...

The Weestrom is a streetbike with some ADVstyling.  It's not a dual sport and was never intended as such. You're not going to change my mind, so we can agree to disagree.

A simple perusal of the ADVrider forums will show our friend Ncdan that touring off pavement is done profusely by the self proclaimed Stromtroopers.  It's a cult bike.   Hey, everyone has to have their thing.  It would never be my thing, as there are much better tools out there.  Personally, if I was shopping for a cheap used touring bike that could go off pavement,  I'd shop for a low-miles Girlie Tiger.  Cheap and super-capable.

I hope Dan enjoys his Weestrom.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 03:39:54 PM »
Of course a DL feels cheap compared to a GS1200.  The BMW costs more than twice as much.  That’s like saying a Toyota Yaris isn’t as nice as a BMW 5 series sedan.  As for comparing the Strom to the BMW GS800...the 800 costs $5,000 more.  I should hope it had a little more oomph for that much money.  It’s about 15hp, by the way.

I always find it amusing when owners of BMW’s and KTM’s point out the shortcomings of the V-Strom compared to their much more expensive machines.  They see the bike as inferior.  I see the bike as punching well above its’ weight and the fact it can even be put in the same conversation as a $20k bike is a tribute to what a great platform it is and has been for over a decade.

Both bikes I bought used a little over a year apart. Both in stock trim. The BMW had 11,000 miles factory Varios  handguards a windscreen that works, bars that are comfortable and is 6 years older than the DL and cost $2,000 more than the DL. The DL had 5,000 miles on it and I added about $1,200 to it to make it comfortable and suited for traveling. Pelican 1550's, HT pannier racks, Sargent Seat, Several wind screens, Center Stand, hand guards, bar risers, handlebars all stuff the BMW didn't need. I also have more electrical output than on that 3 letter swear word so unlike the DL running more than one heated jacket is possible.

I get it the DL is a bit of a blank slate as is the DR650 and are on the surface inexpensive. But start adding up all the stuff to make is what you ned and the lines blur a bit.

Is the 6 year older BMW a higher spec bike? Yes, by a long shot. Was it significantly more expensive? Not, by a long shot. So in all actuallity the best bang for my buck is the BMW. Its just a better mouse trap and not a whole lot more money.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »

I get it the DL is a bit of a blank slate as is the DR650 and are on the surface inexpensive. But start adding up all the stuff to make is what you need and the lines blur a bit.

A close riding buddy went all-in WeeStrom freak a dozen years ago.  In the end, this is the conclusion he came to. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »
Or, heaven forbid, especially after all the bad press it's gotten here, you can run over to Greensboro and pick up a brand new 2019 Himalayan for $5300, out the door. Add pannier racks for $100, some good waterproof soft bags for $200 more, and for $5600 you're ready to go. It handles off road riding great, weighs 401 lbs, gets 60+ mpg, and parts are readily available, cheap. The big limitation is that it'll only run to 70 mph comfortably, above that it gets buzzy, and is out of steam by 80 mph. If you really want to bang along the freeway at 80 it's not for you, but if 55-60 mph backroads with some dirt thrown in are your thing, it's about perfect, and a helluva deal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:30:38 PM by NC Steve »
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
I bought a new V-Strom DL650A in 2012.  It has been a great urban commuter (work ride) for me.  I'm satisfied with the brakes, suspension, overall performance, fuel economy, reliability, cost of ownership, etc.   Through the years it has been on several trips.  In 2017, I rode the Strom from Cleveland to the BMW National in Salt Lake City with 8 friends who rode GS's and one Stelvio.  Over the course of the trip we rode the Shafer Trail, Burr Trail, Hell's Backbone and Valley of the Gods to name a few.  The Strom had no problem keeping up with the junk that was twice its displacement, cost & substantially poorer fuel economy.  The Strom and I have another cross country trip later this year.  So, for me, the Wee Strom has worked out just fine for my city, highway & trail adventures.  I think I saw a post here where someone got one for under $8K out the door....hey, good for you, you win, you got a great bike!.

OK, I do have a complaint, after years of shaft drive bikes, I have concluded that I really hate chain maintenance (lube) every 500 miles.  During a trip, I'm doing it every day.  It isn't a problem for most folks because they don't mind getting chain lube over everything (chain, sprockets, tire, wheel, swing arm, hands , pants, etc.  And, you can't take a trip with one of those small 6oz chain lube spray cans, you'll run out after the 4th or 5th day.  I'm hoping the the new v85TT is all that and more.

Oh, ya, the Wee Strom is touring capable IMHO but then anything is if you want it to be.

'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
I bought a new V-Strom DL650A in 2012.  It has been a great urban commuter (work ride) for me.  I'm satisfied with the brakes, suspension, overall performance, fuel economy, reliability, cost of ownership, etc.   Through the years it has been on several trips.  In 2017, I rode the Strom from Cleveland to the BMW National in Salt Lake City with 8 friends who rode GS's and one Stelvio.  Over the course of the trip we rode the Shafer Trail, Burr Trail, Hell's Backbone and Valley of the Gods to name a few.  The Strom had no problem keeping up with the junk that was twice its displacement, cost & substantially poorer fuel economy.  The Strom and I have another cross country trip later this year.  So, for me, the Wee Strom has worked out just fine for my city, highway & trail adventures.  I think I saw a post here where someone got one for under $8K out the door....hey, good for you, you win, you got a great bike!.

OK, I do have a complaint, after years of shaft drive bikes, I have concluded that I really hate chain maintenance (lube) every 500 miles.  During a trip, I'm doing it every day.  It isn't a problem for most folks because they don't mind getting chain lube over everything (chain, sprockets, tire, wheel, swing arm, hands , pants, etc.  And, you can't take a trip with one of those small 6oz chain lube spray cans, you'll run out after the 4th or 5th day.  I'm hoping the the new v85TT is all that and more.

Oh, ya, the Wee Strom is touring capable IMHO but then anything is if you want it to be.

I agree with the chain thing. However it was my understanding that in recent times the O ring chains require a  minimal amount of maintenance and that the modern chain lubes which spray thick sticky lube is much cleaner than oiling a chain use to be ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:05:19 PM by Ncdan »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2014-suzuki-dl650a-v-strom-ks.1352640/

Here you go.
not in your price range but....
That's a lot of extras that would be really nice!!!!
It's just a long way from NC

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
The chain thing is a non thing if you add a Scott Oiler. Every 600 to 1,000 miles top up the reservoir with 2 or 3 ounces of ATF and ride until you puke. Chain and sprockets last easily 3+ times as long with very few adjustments in between. In the 10,000+ miles I had a Scott on my DL the chain was cleaner than new and never needed adjusted. Sprockets also looked new.

If you add up the time to top up the reservoir, make a few chain adjustments and change out the chain and sprocket ever 40 or 50,000 miles its no more than cleaning, checking, lubing splines and changing rear drive oil. 

Modern chain and continuous oilers are a combo for a long relative maintenance free relationship. 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
The chain thing is a non thing if you add a Scott Oiler. Every 600 to 1,000 miles top up the reservoir with 2 or 3 ounces of ATF and ride until you puke. Chain and sprockets last easily 3+ times as long with very few adjustments in between. In the 10,000+ miles I had a Scott on my DL the chain was cleaner than new and never needed adjusted. Sprockets also looked new.

If you add up the time to top up the reservoir, make a few chain adjustments and change out the chain and sprocket ever 40 or 50,000 miles its no more than cleaning, checking, lubing splines and changing rear drive oil. 

Modern chain and continuous oilers are a combo for a long relative maintenance free relationship.
Thanks for that information, great to know and would be a must for me if I owned one!

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
That's a little high for a 2014 model, with 23K miles.
Sign up at Stromtroopers, you can find some real deals there sometimes, especially at this time of year.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
Or, heaven forbid, especially after all the bad press it's gotten here, you can run over to Greensboro and pick up a brand new 2019 Himalayan for $5300, out the door. Add pannier racks for $100, some good waterproof soft bags for $200 more, and for $5600 you're ready to go. It handles off road riding great, weighs 401 lbs, gets 60+ mpg, and parts are readily available, cheap. The big limitation is that it'll only run to 70 mph comfortably, above that it gets buzzy, and is out of steam by 80 mph. If you really want to bang along the freeway at 80 it's not for you, but if 55-60 mph backroads with some dirt thrown in are your thing, it's about perfect, and a helluva deal.

Not so sure the 70 MPH cruise speed is the Himalayan's big limitation. Failed frames,  questionable reliability come to mind as bigger limitations. If these bikes are so great wonder why the streets aren't polluted with these $5,600 gems?
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
Not so sure the 70 MPH cruise speed is the Himalayan's big limitation. Failed frames,  questionable reliability come to mind as bigger limitations. If these bikes are so great wonder why the streets aren't polluted with these $5,600 gems?

They just came to the US in 2018, and Royal Enfield's past reputation for poor quality control has a lot of people waiting and watching. Most of the problems we read about were the Gen 3 bikes, carburated, and sold in India. RE is serious about moving into N. America, and is aiming to add 5 dealerships per month. As it is now, all bikes coming into the US are shipped straight to a facility in Texas, where they're gone over with a fine toothed comb before go out to dealers, where they're prepped again before sale.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
Mark Twain

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »
That's a little high for a 2014 model, with 23K miles.
Sign up at Stromtroopers, you can find some real deals there sometimes, especially at this time of year.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/

That a lot high. DL650 have resale values that make Guzzi's seem like a fortune 500 investment. Once DL or any motorcycle  hits 10,000 miles the unknowing think they are worn out. A DL with 23K on the ODO to the know is just broken in but to the masses no one will even look at it.

My 2012 DL I put back to stock and with 19,000 miles on the ODO and very clean needing nothing I listed it f/s for $3,500 and was willing to take any offer above $3,000. On ADV Rider probably 30 people replied this is a great deal, if I only had had space, if you were closer blah blah blah. The phone didn't ring off the hook heck I didn't even get CL spammers. Finally after 2 weeks I got a call from a serious buyer and we made a deal. Sure I could have listed for $4,500 or $5,000 like most Dl sellers do but I actually wanted to sell he bike and had realistic expectations.

The seller of the 23K DL650 hopefully has a lot of wiggle room because if he really wants to sell it in this lifetime he should be willing to accept any offer over $4,000.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 05:49:50 PM »
They just came to the US in 2018, and Royal Enfield's past reputation for poor quality control has a lot of people waiting and watching. Most of the problems we read about were the Gen 3 bikes, carburated, and sold in India. RE is serious about moving into N. America, and is aiming to add 5 dealerships per month. As it is now, all bikes coming into the US are shipped straight to a facility in Texas, where they're gone over with a fine toothed comb before go out to dealers, where they're prepped again before sale.

I've owned modern RE's. I like RE's and will someday probably own another RE. With that A fine tooth comb isn't needed. A bastard rasp would suffice for the 1 thru 5th pass's. 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline BAT 11

• New Egg
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »
Re Suzuki 650 Vstrom,   I purchased a 2018 storm, thought the power and grunt would be down after owning a 8 v Norge. Was not disappointed at all. Very good economy,about 4 litres per 100kms at 100kmh. Easy to sail thru the tight bits, Dealers in every city, quite capable of carrying a load to tour on,rear rack,handguards,even fitted Norge mirrors, True not an adventure bike as opposed to a DR 650 but has excellent road handling and comfort. A bit noisy,but a givi air flow may fix that.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »

Modern chains don't really require that level of maintenance.  I used to abuse and neglect the chains on my Triumph.  Never any troubles.   
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:41 PM »
Modern chains don't really require that level of maintenance.  I used to abuse and neglect the chains on my Triumph.  Never any troubles.

:thumb:     overall  i prefer a chain drive to a shaft and i have them both .......as far a chain lube goes a little goes a long way
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:43:38 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 01:02:40 AM »
John,

If you can have your definitions of what "is" and "is not", so can I...

The Weestrom is a streetbike with some ADVstyling.  It's not a dual sport and was never intended as such. You're not going to change my mind, so we can agree to disagree.

A simple perusal of the ADVrider forums will show our friend Ncdan that touring off pavement is done profusely by the self proclaimed Stromtroopers.  It's a cult bike.   Hey, everyone has to have their thing.  It would never be my thing, as there are much better tools out there.  Personally, if I was shopping for a cheap used touring bike that could go off pavement,  I'd shop for a low-miles Girlie Tiger.  Cheap and super-capable.

I hope Dan enjoys his Weestrom.
My friend I'm afraid you have missed some information here for what ever reason. I ask the original question about the V-Strom because I am thinking about adding a much less weight bike than the 1400 tourer so I figured some type of bike that would be comfortable on some back country dirt tobacco roads would be great along with a bike that would be capable of some moderate touring also. The main reason I'm looking at the Strom is because there are several in my area that are priced for 3-4 k. The bikes you are suggesting are no doubt probably better suited for a " duel purpose " bike, I beginning to hate that term, however they are priced 3 times more than the Suzuki and for my purpose will do no better job as I am not a professional off road ridder. At best my time spent at serious dirt ridding 40 years ago could possibly keep me upright if I encounter a rutt on a dirt road. I've not read anyone here who said the WeeSrtom as you call it is better than any bike you have mentioned. All I've heard is they are  adequate at DUEL jobs. I appreciate your imput as I did ask for opinions and yours is valued as much as anyone's. I thought the subject just got sidetracked maybe due to miscommunication and I wanted verify the original thoughts. 👍

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 06:06:44 AM »
Hi Again,

Yes, o-rings chains require minimal (internally lifetime lubed) maintenance but the exterior rollers require occasional lube to reduce wear between roller & sprocket.  The automatic oiler, imo, would make things even messier.

Back to your original question.....If you can get a dl650A, 2012 or newer with low miles (less than 3-4K/year) for $3-4K, Buy it!  My 2012 has 34K+ on it, it owes me nothing which is good because I couldn't get anything for it on trade.  If the thing blows up on me while on a trip, my contingency plan is to find a nearby dealer that has new old stock (ya , they are out there, 2015-2018), buy another new one and continue my adventure.

You know you want it regardless of what others are saying here, just do it!
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 06:45:48 AM »
A big factor in chain/sprocket life is passive cleaning. Chain lube is applied then wears off over the next 300 leaving les protection and dirt can stick to it. A continuous oiler add drop of oil every minute or so to the chain that gets worked all around to continually lubricate the chain. The other thing it does is as dirt sticks to the extremely lightly oiled chain it continues to build until it becomes to heavy and centrifugal force flings it free of the chain. So you have passive cleaning and no need to ever wipe down, use a brush or chemicals to physically scrub or clean the chain . It lubed and cleaned every second its moving. This  also great when its raining as he chain is always protected and no more forgetting to lube you chain when you get home from riding and the chain is still warm.

2 buddies of mine went to Alaska in 2018. One on a shaft drive bike the other on a chain drive bike with a Scott Oiler. Both were amazed that even while traveling the Hall Highway the bikes were filthy mud was piled up on the swingarms but the chain looked like it was just cleaned shiny and bright.

Another thing lots of folks believe chain oilers are dirty and fling lots of oil everywhere. If they are set up wring and dripping too much oil yes they are messy. Same as over applying aerosol chain lube or glopping on gear oil. The idea is o lube the chain not drown it. If set up properly (which is easy) they are less messy than traditional arenol lubes and buy far way less expensive to operate. A quart of the cheapest ATF you can fine if about $4 an will last 20,000 miles. How long does a can of chain lube last re-applying it every 300 miles
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »
. A quart of the cheapest ATF you can fine if about $4 an will last 20,000 miles. How long does a can of chain lube last re-applying it every 300 miles

A 13oz. can of chain wax is $8-$10.  I lube about every 500 miles, a can lasts me 5k-8k miles.  The Smith Oiler is what $100-$250??!!

Hey, thanks but I ain't buying one. 

NCDan...Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 08:38:09 AM »
 I thought the subject just got sidetracked maybe due to miscommunication and I wanted verify the original thoughts. 👍
[/quote]

sidetracked....here ...na never... :grin:  :popcorn:
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here