Author Topic: How does she carry her weight?  (Read 502 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
How does she carry her weight?
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
There has been a lot of talk over the years about the weight of our bikes. As we get older sometimes the weight gets to be too much to handle, whether it is on the road or pushing it around in the garage. My 1200 sport, with all the additional stuff I’ve added like saddlebags rear rack and trunk and so on is probably approaching 590 pounds. But I have found that this girl manages her weight very well. Guzzi did a great job in balancing the weight of this bike.

Granted it is very similar to an 08 Norge and 1100 Breva but I think there are a few differences that make it a little bit more balanced and easier to maneuver. The maneuverability aspect really shows up in Low speed maneuvers in and around parking lots and city streets.  It is there that I have found this bike not to be too much of a handful.

I believe what makes this bike easier to handle are two things...1.) not having the weight of the large Norge fairing up front which places more weight out front and higher, slowing down the steering response. 2.) The shorter handlebars. Both the Norge and the Breva 1100 have larger handlebars that extend farther back than the 1200 sport.

Even with a passenger on the back and loaded for touring, this bike is so well-balanced that I hardly noticed the extra weight. I’m able to maneuver around almost any kind of roads from high speed interstate travel to country back roads to inner-city commute. The 1200 Sport handles her weight very well.

Any other 1200 Sport owners noticed this?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:55:37 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How does she carry her weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »
Makes sense.  I’ve never ridden the 1200 Sport but my faired CBX was one of the easiest handling slow speed bikes I’ve ever ridden.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here