Author Topic: Alternator belt change for 1400 cali ?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
Alternator belt change for 1400 cali ?
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »
  After the recent alternator belt problem of my friend Jim Walker in Utah,mutual friend Paul Vinnege noticed that his 1400 had 78,000 mi. and hasn't had the belt changed. He called his dealer and they asked him if it was doing some thing wrong. The manual says to change at 37,000mi. He would like to know if anyone has done this belt change at home, and what's the procedure, and how long to expect it to take. Also are any special tools needed?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Alternator belt change for 1400 cali ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
Tell Paul he could probably do it if anyone can. Just get a copy of the service manual and go slow.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »
Doing the belt on a 1400 is an absolute prick of a job because of the radiator and the front engine mount. Of course it's doable but it ain't easy.

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
    Is it possible without a center stand or lift?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Yes, but working off the floor is pretty ghastly!

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
   Yeah, especially if you're old and brittle like us. I'll pass the info along to Paul and he can decide. Thanks for the advice Steve and Pete. Guzzi folks are the best!

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
  For anyone interested Paul has decided to get it done at the dealer. They quoted him 5-7 hours for the job. that's why he was looking for another way.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
  For anyone interested Paul has decided to get it done at the dealer. They quoted him 5-7 hours for the job. that's why he was looking for another way.

I'm looking forward to Paul's annual return to Central Texas for the winter.  Hard to find a better riding buddy.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Bill E.

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »
    You are right about that. Fastest man on a california I've ever seen. At least now he won't run out of electricity on one of your rides.

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »

Exactly why I had mine done.   I think one of the guys from Phoenix AZ did his by cutting the plastic cover in half to remove it rather than take the front of the bike apart.  But I think you have to have a special tool to tension the belt.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:46:15 PM by groundhog105 »

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
I had my belt changed by the Dealer at 50000 miles. Now I figure I'm good for 100000!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

pete roper

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 06:50:24 PM »
Exactly why I had mine done.   I think one of the guys from Phoenix AZ did his by cutting the plastic cover in half to remove it rather than take the front of the bike apart.  But I think you have to have a special tool to tension the belt.

Belt tensioning tool is a joke. I have one but never use it as it's a total PITA.

The belt change interval suggested is ridiculously conservative if it is tensioned correctly but there are bikes that shred their belts a quite low mileage's. Why? Who knows? But chances are it was a duff belt or incorrect tension rather than an indicator of something that *Needs* doing as a matter of course. I think I changed the belt once on my first Griso motor at about 60 or 70 thousand km and it still looked fine. The belt on the new motor has never been changed in 30,000 plus whatever mileage the wreck it came out of had done which wasn't many.

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
I went and measured the factory tool and made one. It works fine if you have the room to get it right.
Most of the time there is stuff leaning and hanging in the way.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
Great, is this belt something else needs worrying about with the 1400 bikes after I figure out why mine keeps codeing the URGENT SERVICE warning 🤪

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »
Dan, I think Mark has the Demand Sensor off the 1400 I wrecked out. I'll be seeing him this week in Wagga. If you'd like to try it and see if it cures the problem let me know and I'll pick it up.

Pete

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »
Dan, I think Mark has the Demand Sensor off the 1400 I wrecked out. I'll be seeing him this week in Wagga. If you'd like to try it and see if it cures the problem let me know and I'll pick it up.

Pete
Pete, stand by for a PM, sending it now

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
Pete, I sent you a PM yesterday with a little more information. Today in attempted to ride this creature and as soon as I started up the driveway the URGENT SERVICE mode kicked in and stayed in for 10 miles I limp mode. Went into the restaurant and when I came back out and started the bike it came back on again. I turned it off and restarted again and it cleared itself. I got about five miles down the road and for no apparent reason it came back in and limped all the way home. I really don't want to turn against this bike but enough is enough. I don't know if it woukd help to remove the the tank and chase a gremlin or say to hell with it and just replace the sensor. Either way I'm screwed out of a trip with some old buddies this weekend that's been planned for months. I'm about ready to run this *^}%£€¥ off a cliff!

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Dan,

Stay away from sudden changes in altitude with your CA Touring. Hopefully someone can help get this sorted out asap. Can't the Guzzi technician computer software at a dealer nail down which sensor is bad?  I'm so sorry about you missing the trip though. They come along all too infrequently. Somehow, and fairly soon, it will all workout.

Offline theoneandonly

• New Egg
  • being honest doesn't pay...you just sleep better !
    • baldricks workshop
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »
belt service interval 31250 mls / 50,000 kms

service manual misses some key points
remove the following
seat ,battery , tank , front plastics ,lh coil , rh elecs box, horns ,oil cooler/fan, oil pipes l+r  ,ft lower iso mount , silencers , jack bike on 2 flat jacks , x3 blocks of wood at the front under engine ,  gearchange rod , gearbox side covers l+r , dis-con lambda's , header pipes l+r , lwr frame bolts x10 in total , drop lwr rails , drop exhaust headers, REMOVE BLOODY U-BRACKET , alt cover ....hello belt !

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »

Richard did it.  The belt had a lot mileage on it.  Broke outside of Big Springs, TX.  U-hauled back to Phoenix.  He cut the cover and you'd be hard press to see the cut.  The belt went on fairly easy after that.  I told without hesitation that I'd do the same thing.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here