Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Price Check: 2008 Nevada 17,600 miles
« Last post by Bulldog9 on Today at 02:26:28 AM »
I think much of the decision comes down to what you are looking for in a motorcycle. There are tons of options in the sub 3-4K range. There is a huge difference between the small block and big block motors and the motorcycles themselves.

The Nevada is unique in that it is still a twin throttle body V7 motor and has a unique look some love and some hate. All of the later v7s are a single throttle body. I recently acquired a 2004  Breva 750 that has a virtually identical motor. I bought the bike mainly due to its pristine condition and hopes that it was one my wife could ride. That ship sailed pretty quick when even after two and a half inch lower shocks and fork drop left her unable to comfortably flat foot both feet.

I'm keeping it as a fun local poke about bike and one that I can comfortably ride and manage as I get older. FWIW, I paid $3K for it with 12K miles and in pristine condition needing nothing.

I also have a v7ii Stornello for SB comparison. As much as I absolutely love the stornello, I have to say in comparing both, I prefer the twin throttle body feel of the Breva over the store nello for slower speeds. There's just something rich and full and how that little motor feels.

That said, there is no comparing a small block to a big block motor. When I only ride the small blocks, I find myself completely satisfied as they are wonderful balanced and rewarding motorcycles. That gets completely shot to Hades when I throw a leg over the Griso or 1200 Sport.

The great thing in all of this is there are a ton of great options to choose from in that price range. Take your time and figure out what it is you really want. Do you want to deal with tubes? Do you want something light and fun and easy to move around? Will you spend a lot of time on major roads and highway speeds or just local and country roads? Do you plan to mount luggage? At 5'8" seat height also matters. Some of the v7s can be a bit tall in the seat.

If you like the look of the Nevada, This looks like a very well sorted bike. I would offer him $3000 cash in person, and be willing to come up a bit if he doesn't bite. If you're going to keep the bike forever then the offered $3400 sounds like a deal. If you think you may flip it in a year or two, be prepared to not break even.

General Discussion / Re: V85 valve adjustment gone wrong…
« Last post by Bulldog9 on Today at 01:45:25 AM »
I broke my 20-year-old trusted TDC dowel in the stornello during its first valve adjust (600 miles). I wasn't prepared for how quickly the piston would come up and it caught the dowel and snapped off about 1/2-in inside the chamber. After checking with a borescope I could see the pieces.

I contemplated pulling the head off but after blowing air into the spark plug hole and getting a few small pieces out, I ended up putting a small  cone nozzle on my Shop-Vac, jamming it down over the spark plug hole and cracked the starter a few times. That was 6 years and 10,000 miles ago with no problems.

The problem was I dropped the dowel into the hole too early. Now what I do is watch for the valve open and close and crank it a bit more so the piston comes up. I also found that a long one quarter inch extension slides perfectly into the spark plug hole. It's thick enough so it doesn't get cocked and stuck on the threads when the piston comes up.

I think some of the difference on the small block was the motor was so new. It was also the first time I was using the rear tire with the bike in 6th gear to spend the motor rather than the bolt on the front of the crankshaft from the big blocks.

I had done dozens of adjustments on my Griso and Norge without issue, but the Stornello got me.
I have only ridden one 1100 Griso and it felt exactly like my 2 VPC 1200 (1151 cc) Norge power wise.
Like you, I always felt that the ‘bars were unnecessarily wide, especially for something that does not have a reputation for tank slippers and the like.
General Discussion / Sorting my Griso 1100 - Handle Bars, foot pegs, etc
« Last post by CanBike on April 28, 2024, 09:45:27 PM »
Just purchased a very nice 2007 Griso 1100, and I'd like to sort out a few things:

The handle bars feel too wide. The bike had tiny bar end mirrors, and the bar end weights were missing. I was thinking of installing risers, and maybe new bars. Or I might just cut a smidgen off the bars. But this would remove the threads for the factory weights. I'd go with friction fit weights and a better quality end mirror, maybe clamping style. No real harm I think? Or silly to ruin factory bars?

The bike came with new Knight Design lowering pegs in a bag. I think I might like them as my legs are a bit cramped. The end of the shift lever and brake pedal seem to have some adjustment. Wonder if this is enough adjustment to accommodate the lowered pegs?

Bike has a GPR exhaust can. A bit loud, but I might live with it. Exhaust smells very gassy, but I'll give the bike a full tune-up and see if that helps at all. I have some old DB killers I could maybe try to fit. I suspect it's never been remapped. I downloaded the map today and will send it to Beetle to see if it's factory.

I had a Sport 1200 for a season, but always wanted to try a Griso. I'm hoping this engine is very close to the power and feel of the 2v 1200. I suspect it will be, as it's almost the identical engine? It's really a beautiful bike and I'm very pleased to have it in the garage. Here's a few pics:

General Discussion / Guzzi race bike
« Last post by John A on April 28, 2024, 09:26:19 PM »
Itialian beauty https://youtu.be/V6RHaeRWKXY?si=eOMBeo4apvYJHcVp
It’s from last year.
Fixer upper. We were born the same year!  :grin:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/696547425487816

I'd also have to get used to the rear brake and gear shift being on the "wrong" sides!

That's not an Ambassador, but rather a V700. Most Ambassadors and all Eldorados had left foot shift and right foot brake. The shift pattern is "backwards" on footpeg bikes, but can be easily changed to "normal".
« Last post by Mwether on April 28, 2024, 08:29:47 PM »
...Seller trying to whip a buyer into a frenzy that isn't there.

I was a little whipped after the test ride, but I never got frothy! :grin:

"Just walk away, Renee..."
The nice thing about older Guzzi's is that you can fit some more modern components on them.  The front-mounted alternator is probably the most difficult issue (in my opinion), but even that has a pretty simple solution to retrofit a Fields type generator.  This one is front and rear discs.
Not much you can do about the weight, though.  They heavy.
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on April 28, 2024, 07:06:20 PM »
I think it was Perazzimix who said it, that Nevada is a $1200 bike in VA.  If you can find one.

Deal fell through.....how convenient? Seller trying to whip a buyer into a frenzy that isn't there.
General Discussion / Re: WildGuzzi Tag-O-Rama
« Last post by keiths on April 28, 2024, 07:02:51 PM »
Tombigbee National Forest sign on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Next tag is a covered bridge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here