Author Topic: two bikes compared  (Read 4816 times)

lucydad

two bikes compared
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
All,

I have had the new Cannondale just over a week and ridden it four times for a total of around 35 miles.  Just love being on a bicycle again.  Some days, like today I ride both the CD and the V7R.   The comparison is interesting, at least to me, and I am sure many others have their own experiences.

Second ride on the CD at a local packed park with lots of parents, babystrollers, walkers, bicycles and small kids I was on a gravel trail going slowly.  Normally one can maneuver around and call "on your left, right, etc" and people respond.  Simple one would think, but with our huge Asian immigration population:  well a lot of them do not understand English.  And they tend to veer unexpectedly as we normally pass on right.  No so much if from India, China, Vietnam, etc?  Anyway a family of five:  parents, stroller baby and two small boys:   tried to creep around them, and small boy stopped right in front of me.  Had my first emergency stop on CD, skidded a bit, leg out, caught myself before hitting him, and happily did not go down.  The light weight of the CD makes a huge difference.

So it pays to always be situationally aware on the bicycle, just like on a MC.  Similarly I was crossing a major road on the CD.  Stopped, punched the crosswalk button, waited for signal, rode on slowly.  Piles of traffic and trucks and I noticed nobody in the car turn lane could see me.  So, I slowed and got on the brakes just like on the V7R:  sure enough some cager blew thru the red light on the turn and would have hit me on the CD and I would have been little plastic and aluminum bits and blood under the Prius.  Lovely.  

So the MC safety skills pay off on the CD, without a doubt.

Then there is cornering on the CD:  woot the little short wheel base means cornering is very, very quick.  On gravel trail again, a pinhook turn, took it a bit hot (maybe 8 mph) and the bike went into a skid.  Skills again:  relax, use the lane, dont touch brakes and sure enough we made it thru the corner.  And learned a bit about the limits of traction on this particular bicycle.   Complementary again to motorcycle in a skid.

One thing I love about the CD:  "gear up" pretty much means fill water bottle, dress for temperatures (although with the calorie burning lower temps are more tolerable than on MC),  helmet on and gloves on and off we go.  On the V7R this time of year:  right shirt, leathers, boots, Shoei, gloves, check bike out, wheel it out (often requiring moving a car), start up, warm up, and then off.   MC is highly labor intensive compared to CD to roll out.  Often have to stop to fill with fully organic hydrocarbons too.  

Speaking of helmets I got a white and high end CD bicycle helmet.  Ok, good enough, but I wonder how much good it would do if I did go down?  I always wear bicycle gloves though as I have scars from riding as a kid both kinds of bikes.  The Shoei X12 is formidable protection.

Wind on the CD means hard work a great resistance cardio opportunity, but at some point no fun and forget it.  High winds on the V7R are tolerable, but around 30 mph gusts I usually hang it up.  

Summer heat and humidity and sun and mosquitoes and such will be not so much fun on the CD.  I know that.  Early morning rides will compete with the V7R:  out by 7 AM before temps go up into the 90Fs.   I may get some lights for the CD for evening rides though on the bike trails:  no contending with the cagers on the streets makes it safer, I think.  

Ah well crappy roads and gravel and potholes and chasing dogs and dead squirrel guts:   pretty easy to avoid on the CD due to slow speed and very maneuverable.  On the V7R:  heads up and tuned in all the time.  

Which is more relaxing?  Wow tough call there, both have merits.   The quiet of the CD is attractive at times.   Body endorphins spike on the CD also, no doubt.  
The MC takes a LOT more focus and skill in my opinion, at least with local riding.  The V7R:  wow love the speed and cornering and the machine itself, amazing engine and response.  No bicycle can match that in my opinion.  

So, yeah there it is.  Time to finish my lunch, then a short nap then a ride on the CD despite a bit windy.  Every ride gets a bit more comfortable for my body.  I try to do some high speed sprints on every ride to get my pulse up.  Fastest so far on the CD is around 18 mph.  We have a few hills, but nothing to speak of.  So I try for distance.  Checked the CD odometer versus my GPS:  almost identical.  So the 8 mile CD rides are for real.  

Oh, and moving the CD around the garage:  one hand and pick it up.  No so much with the V7R.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:39:33 PM by lucydad »

Offline moltoguzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: two bikes compared
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
"All,

I have had the new Cannondale just over a week and ridden it four times for a total of around 35 miles.  Just love being on a bicycle again.  Some days, like today I ride both the CD and the V7R.   The comparison is interesting, at least to me, and I am sure many others have their own experiences."

Which one is faster?

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
What kind of oil do you use in the Cannondale??  :BEER:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
Tires ?
 Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »

Frulk

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Lucydad, I noticed you were able to mount that rack without turning your Racers shocks upside down. What's the model and manufacturer's name if you don't mind.

Nice enough to get out and ride today in northern Utah. Close to 50 and sunny. Buddy of mine showed up on his ADV bike at our locally owned coffee shop as I was leaving

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
Frulk,

Mike at MPH put the rack on.  Trick is simple washer spacers on the mounts to rear of seat.  I can take detailed pix for you if desired.  Pretty slick and simple solution, and I love having a rack.

Oil on Cannondale is actually specified for piston disk brakes believe it or not.  Tires are a hybrid high pressure. 

Man windy today, but did another 7 miles and heart healthy, but now want a steak for dinner.  Stupid and ugly as a mud fence me has been wearing the bicycle padded shorts wrong.  Finally figured the suckers out so they will not slip and slide and give proper cushy to my tushy.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
I just got this cause my parking spot at the State Capitol is 1 mile from my office.. after the session ends in May I'll be back commuting on the Buell.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I have a nice titainium frame bike. every time I ride it i'm thinking how much more fun I could be having on one of my motorbikes.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline geezerboy

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
 Had been an avid bicyclist  averaging over 3000  miles per year until I returned to motorcycles . Since 2004 have put less than a thousand miles total on the bicycles and over 110,000 miles on the motorcycles . At the age of 63 my body does not make a very good engine anymore . Have promised myself to get on the bicycle again this summer . Was never in better shape than when pedaling . Seems to work as a time machine and roll the clock back on an aging body . Too bad motorcycles are soooo much fun . Have not been able to balance both forms of cycling as yet . Good luck to you and keep riding the CD .
  geezerboy

47 chief
  03 nomad
  07 norge

lucydad

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
geezer,

Cadence helps.  My first boss, Lance Corporal Billy F. Latch, Jr. taught me this one one night on a drilling rig in the middle of nowhere, San Juan Basin, NM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBkNIQXcPo

Big Bill was a Pearl Harbor survivor, and the entire Pacific Campaign, including Iwo Jima.

My favorite Marine.  Miss him still.  OOh rah.

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
I was bummed that the Cannondale motorcycles did not take off. I had hoped that a domestic maker of offroad motorcycles could make a go of it.

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
  • SW Iowa....no we don't grow potatoes here!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
I'm just the opposite.  I now do many more miles on the bicycle than the Guzzi. I did 6500 miles last year self propelled.  This will be next for you!!   Best of both worlds. 
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

lucydad

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
Dan,

Hair shy of 11K on V7R clocked this weekend, and just over 35 miles on Cannondale (just over a week).

The bicycle riding is also a good stress buster.  Need all I can get given oil price crash and very likely implosion at Flub Dub Energy where I work sometime this summer.  Finally figured out how to put on padded bicycle  shorts....duh oh.  I think my body likes the exercise. 

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:22 PM »
Frulk,  I love having a rack.   Stupid and ugly as a mud fence me has been wearing the bicycle padded shorts wrong.  Finally figured the suckers out so they will not slip and slide and give proper cushy to my tushy.

Yeah, but when you wear the shorts with the padding in front it adds to the rack image.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here