Author Topic: North Georgia Mountains?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
North Georgia Mountains?
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
Grew up in Decatur, Ga. back in the '70s. When I got into motorcycles, the N Georgia mountains were my stomping grounds, on Yamaha RD-350 and other bikes.  Dahlonega, Smith House, etc.

Ok. Will be in Columbus this weekend on V7 Stone.  Can take a few days to go back to the mountains. Don't know what has changed.  Traffic?  New roads?

So, can anyone recommend me some good twisty roads in N Ga mountain area?  Or tell me what to avoid?   Basically looking for an excellent day trip length ride out of Atlanta.  Then I must head back to Dallas.

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
Re: North Georgia Mountains?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
http://www.gauntletga.com/downloads/Gauntlet-2015.pdf  The other twisties by Dahlonega & Helen.  We were just talking about 2up on the 1400 in a week or so.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »
You would probably enjoy a visit to Riders Hill in Dahlonega.  It's unlike any motorcycle dealership that you've ever seen.  Highly recommended. 
NO longer can ride

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »
Ditto on the Riders Hill suggestion. 

Keep on going and take Hwy 60 on up to Morganton.  Great ride.

From Morganton, you can loop back east to Blairsville and then take 19 south to Vogel State Park where you can head back west on Hwy 180 Wolf Pen Gap Road that takes you on a helluva ride back to Suches at Hwy 60.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »
129 up over Blood Mountain.
60 north of Dahlonega all the way to Blue Ridge. Stop at RidersHill in Dahlonega of course. Lots of good eats in Dahlonega.
Avoid Helen on the weekends.
But nearby is Richard Russell, from 75 Alternate to 180.
And 180 from Suches to 75 is a good one.
There are few bad ones.

Consider stopping at Turners corner, about 8 miles north of Cleveland, for lunch. Not that the food is great, it is not, but it has a nice patio along the river, and you can sit and watch all of the squids head up to Blood Mountain for a while.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:26:53 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
129 up over Blood Mountain.
60 north of Dahlonega all the way to Blue Ridge. Stop at RidersHill in Dahlonega of course. Lots of good eats in Dahlonega.
But nearby is Richard Russell, from 75 Alternate to 180.
And 180 from Suches to 75 is a good one.
There are few bad ones.

What the others have said, tho I would temper Wayne's (correct) counsel about Helen on the weekends with the note that an apple fritter at Hofer's is worth the pain.  And, if you go early, you'll beat the LPSL crowd anyway.  :wink:

http://www.hofers.com

Bill

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »
What the others have said, tho I would temper Wayne's (correct) counsel about Helen on the weekends with the note that an apple fritter at Hofer's is worth the pain.  And, if you go early, you'll beat the LPSL crowd anyway.  :wink:

http://www.hofers.com

Bill

I agree with Bill.

Go by Hofers for lunch if you like German.  Unless your trip is during Oktoberfest, the Bavarian-replica town of Helen shouldn't be difficult.

Just about any road in North Georgia is great. I lived in North Atlanta for many years and spent almost every weekend up there exploring.

Hwy 60 and Wolf Pen Gap are two of my long-time favorites but many others await you.

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 07:11:17 AM »
Watch for tar snakes
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Got back this Tuesday.  Rode 60, 19, Wolf Pen Gap, Vogel State Park area, etc.  Liked them so much I rode several of these roads twice!   

Riders Hill and Smith House were closed on Monday, but I suppose the upside was less traffic. 

Only real downside was I was surprised at how much 18 wheeler traffic there was on such narrow twisty roads. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here