Author Topic: '01 Jackal -occasional start problem.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
'01 Jackal -occasional start problem.
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
Every once in a while I hit the starter button and get a mushy click (best way I can describe it). I then hit the button again and the bike starts up. Some times I have to press the button twice. It always starts but this isn't right.

So here is what I have done so far- the battery and starter were replaced about a year and a half ago. All relays replaced with Pyro Dan's. Kickstand switch disconnected. I cleaned the starter switch contact points and cleaned the ignition switch. All the wires looked like they were attached firmly. All contact areas on the battery and starter were clean with good tight contact.

I know that I am missing something. I also know that just because I checked something once and it appears to be sat doesn't mean that it is, so I will check again. This has maybe happened to someone before, so any ideas or advice? I want to head up to the Guzzi on the Blue Ridge at the end of this month, but I don't want to get stuck 500 miles from home. Thanks for the help.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: '01 Jackal -occasional start problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
There are many different faults that can cause your symptoms.
Do you think the starter is engaging or is the click you hear just the relay?

It would be good to measure the battery Voltage to see what it sucks down to, that's the best indication of battery health, if that doesn't drop below 10 it should be cranking, less than that the motor might be stalling.

Make sure your battery ground is well connected, clean both ends and apply some Vaseline. I cannot stress enough the importance of Vaseline on the battery terminals.

If all you hear is the relay click it's the dreaded Startus Interuptus caused by too much resistance (0.2 Ohms is too much) feeding the Start relay resulting in low Voltage to the solenoid.
A little homework you can do is measure the trigger signal, that's the wire from the Start relay to the starter solenoid it should measure 11 Volts at least when you push Start.
The trouble is you need to measure it when the starter fails. I would wire a 12 Volt lamp to the trigger terminal of the solenoid and just tuck somewhere you can see at a glance next time it fails to crank the brightness will indicate the Voltage close enough.
BTW the tail light is an indication of Voltage at start, it should only dim a little while cranking

Something else to do is learn how to hot wire the solenoid, its just a matter of a jumper from battery positive to the trigger terminal (Must be careful to put the bike in Neutral). Some guys wire in a heavy duty button to do that but I would just use a wire with a spade connector from the solenoid ending near the battery.

The Startus Interuptus fix on the Jackal is a little more involved because it also feeds the headlight relay.
I'll send you a PM if you want to go that route.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:44:07 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: '01 Jackal -occasional start problem.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
Kiwi_Roy- thanks for that info. The batt does not drop below 11 on cranking. And yes it is the solenoid that I hear clicking. If you would p.m. me with the fix info I would appreciate it. Thanks. I will do the other things you recomended

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here