Author Topic: I gots to know  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
I gots to know
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:55:30 AM »
Is this a rare bike?  Bidding is up there.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-honda-cbr-900rr-fireblade/
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I gots to know
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
I don't believe it's a particularly rare bike.  In their time they were not hard to find, but to find one now in this condition is rare.

Apparently, two buyers (who are both intent on getting it) are in a bidding war.
1990 MilleGT

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
I owned a 1991 Ducati 900 SS when this bike came out.  An acquaintance of mine was the sales manager at a local Honda dealership.  I was intrigued with this bike and asked if he ever got a used one in, would he give me a call so I could take a test ride.  About a year went by and I got the call.  He let me have the bike basically for a day.  I rode over and left my Ducati for him to ride if he wanted and I took off on this bike.  Being used to the Ducati and shifting around 6 K RPM, I kinda forgot what this bike would be all about and was not overly impressed as I thought I should be.  Then, when I remembered what I was now riding and realized what the redline was, I got out in the country and let her rip.  I just paid attention to the tac and ramped up through the gears.  I
got through fifth and started to get into 6th shy of redline and realized the telephone poles were going by like a video game.  Glanced at the speedo and read 148 mph.  Rock solid- no vibration - a rocket ship.  Still had more to give but I backed off and called it a day.  Fastest and last time I ever exceeded 130 mph. on the street.  Young and foolish but I wanted to know what it could do.   And it is one of sooooo many machines capable of this kind of acceleration and speed.  Quite a machine.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »
They really were not that rare, but they always were expensive when coming up for sale. 

One sold for $52,000 earlier, and is this a SECOND ONE the owner also had squirreled away...or is that the same one that was re-listed??? :shocked: :huh:

Either way, IMHO...$50,000 is "silly money", but if you have that much money lying around.... and it is disposable.....what the hell?
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
I follow 90s sportbikes quite closely and yes this price is way out of line.  '93 white, red and blue CBR900s are very desireable.  It's the 1st year in the US and clean examples are hard to find...however, a friend of mine has 3 of them!  He was searching for a nice one for years, then within a month he found 3 and bought them all.  He's selling off 2 of them.  He has about 20 other mint 80s - 90s superbikes also.
These are typically $10-15k.... to me it seems like a mistaken bid or something.  I'd be shocked if it actually sells for that.

1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

Offline RHAT

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
I had a 1995 one of those.  Feeling dumb now for selling it too cheap.   :embarassed:

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
I had a 1995 one of those.  Feeling dumb now for selling it too cheap.   :embarassed:
So did I....a black one :embarrassed:
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road King

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »
Here's another pretty cool Honda. If price were lower ( by a lot) I could get interested.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcd/d/albert-lea-rare-1989-honda-spada-vt-250/7420812569.html

JAPANESE ONLY MODEL!! Similar to the US model VT250 Interceptor, but a totally different machine and experience. Japan has strict C.C. limits for its riders, and many bikes ridden there are built to optimize the horsepower and handling of the limits. The VT 250 Spada is one of those bikes that is as much performance for its size as the law will allow. It’s high revving motor will surprise you. Light weight and nimble, it’s like riding a lightning bolt. Extremely thrilling. This bike has many updates: Dual front brakes, newly chromed front fork tubes, stiffer fork springs, new fork seals and fluids, new tires, new battery, new chain and sprockets, carbs cleaned, and valves set to spec. ASKING ONLY $6500 for this rare machine! Text 507.720.4114 or go to LewisCharlesCycles. com

Other important info:
Castec Frame found in Japan model
Six speed transmission in Japan model
Higher horsepower engine in Japan model (higher compression and RPMs)
Tach is intermittent
Also sold in Australia and Great Britain, parts online. Some parts interchange with the American version.
I’ve researched this model. Not one other found here in the United Stat
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 12:50:36 AM »
this was in the comment section of that listing, i mostly agree:
NR’s do sell for much more. I’ve sold 7 this year and have 2 on hand. RC45’s are now in the 40’s & 50’s…we sold a 0 mile one for $100,000 but again, we’re talking a CBR. I adore them and am a huge supporter of the love they are getting but $50k is Silly and makes me recall the old saying “a fool and his money are soon parted”. I just sold a beautiful one for about 12k. Have another that is a nice rider That will sell for maybe 9. Heck, we sold a 0 mile one for $24k and it was picked up in two magazines as a record sale. To each their own but this is not the norm…thrilled for the seller but the buyer should pay “the right price” and maybe find a charity for the rest.

and this is the comment from the $$$50G. bidder:

themotorcoachstore This author's likes: 38
This is a pretty simple scenario all that have asked. Someone stated in the last auction that this was like an old girlfriend that became available again. @Awilly and I were once in love with these bikes. 30 years later they became available and we have enough money to bid what we’ve bid. We are two guys that don’t want to be denied. It’s fun and a game at the same time. This time, she is mine. This is a nicer bike than the last one. I only dated the best back then and I only buy the best now. I was a gentleman at the last auction, not this one. Game on.

here is the honda I really want to see do well:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-honda-cbx-supersport-16/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:06:26 AM by aklawok »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 11:09:29 AM »
I owned one of these, bought it new.  If only I had of thought to hang onto it for 28 years!!  :grin:

It was amazing in 1993. Light, fast, and so much so it was shockingly better than other bikes before it.  I thought it was beautiful too.  Very hard to keep those white wheels clean though ... I would wipe down the rear wheel after each ride. 

But, they sold plenty of them, so certainly not a rare bike.  But looks like this one has ~5k miles on it and look new. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline PilotJet

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 04:03:04 PM »
Tiki Joe - That is a GREAT Picture!

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »
Is this the same bike, but different front indicators. not mine but for sale in my area and not $50k

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 10:43:13 PM »
There can't be that many nice ones left. These were largley considered disposable for a long time. 50K is still stupid money.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 05:24:56 AM »
Arguably was the start of the whole litre superbike thing up until it the race replicas were 750's the 1100's were sports tourers and the 600's were smaller cheaper 1100's. So defiantly a significant bike although they had a few production issues with gearboxes and a lot of them were ridden like they were stolen and put away wet. So defiantly not to many left in good condition.
Remembering the Gen Xers are getting to around 50 years old and at the point where they might be prepared to spend some money to recreate or obtain what they couldn't back in the day.

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
Just a few years ago a contributor on Jalopnik bought a 93 CBR900RR with 988 miles on it for something around $4500. I think he put a few hundred dollars into it to spruce up the things that needed freshening after sitting for so long. He said it was too nice to ride so he found a 94 model with 40k miles on it just down the street and talked the guy down to $2500.

I don't think this is where the market actually is for these bikes, if you read the comments of the two buyers at these prices then I think you'll find there are 2 people who are willing to pay whatever they have to in order to relive some youthful fantasy. It must be nice to have that kind of throw-away money.

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 09:18:20 AM »
Unbelievable!....sold for $52,000!
and there's another on there right now that is up to $50,000 with 3 days left!!

1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road King

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
Unbelievable!....sold for $52,000!
and there's another on there right now that is up to $50,000 with 3 days left!!

Yes...and on BaT these days, this is known as......"SILLY MONEY!!" :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :laugh: :grin:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 01:22:52 AM »
Arguably was the start of the whole litre superbike thing up until it the race replicas were 750's the 1100's were sports tourers and the 600's were smaller cheaper 1100's. So defiantly a significant bike although they had a few production issues with gearboxes and a lot of them were ridden like they were stolen and put away wet. So defiantly not to many left in good condition.
Remembering the Gen Xers are getting to around 50 years old and at the point where they might be prepared to spend some money to recreate or obtain what they couldn't back in the day.
the greatest generation is going fast.
the boomers are in their golden years..and hey! I was a gen X before there was a gen X!!
I like to tell people I was born 9 months after woodstock! lol! :afro: NOW I ain't no $100 bill cigar lightin' richie rich type, but I own a Guzzi and thats rich enough for me! :bow:

its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here