Author Topic: What do you broken down Ol' farts use?  (Read 28261 times)

Vasco DG

What do you broken down Ol' farts use?
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
OK, so my mountebank has confirmed my skeleton is stuffed. Degenerative osteoarthritis has galloped into my life and I can look forward to increasing pain and hassle. So? What treatments are you other wrecks using to cope?

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: What do you broken down Ol' farts use?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »
Prednesone and Methotrexate.  The weight gain associated with these pills is offset by the shedding of teeth and hair.  By 2015 standards it's a medieval therapy, but still widely used.  I'd prefer something with fewer bad side effects.

Today my elbows and thumbs are most affected.  Tonight it will be my shoulders and lower back.   :weiner:

the best therapy I've found is to have a reason to not give in to the vegemite temptation (desire to veg and do nothing while hoping tomorrow will be better).  Tomorrow won't be better, and physically stagnating is a sure way to 'lock up' forever.  My trike project has been the focus of my therapy -- keeps me in motion, stays just out of reach as a goal, and lets me explore the wonders of my condition one bone or joint at a time.

Good luck with it.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
 Yeah , RK is correct , activity and hands full of ibuprofen , which of course leads to an ulcer  :cry:

Dusty

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:59 PM »
It won't cure you but see a physical therapist about exercises you can do to stay flexible and reduce some of the pain. I'd stay as far away from Prednisone as possible. Nasty side effects...at least for me.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »
  Copious amounts of alcohol.  :boozing:
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

56Pan

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Join a YMCA and start swimming.  Hard, and at least every other day. :whip2:  Make time for it and just do it. It does help.  A couple cold beers when you leave the Y don't hurt either. Nothing is going to cure it, but this will slow down the progression.  Works for me.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
 There is some research that indicates diet may also play a factor .

Dusty

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
PT every morning, push ups help me the most.  When I started could only do about 4, now can do 2 sets of 20.  Same on the deep knee bends (well 3/4 deep) could only do about 5 now 2 sets of 30.

Diet to loose weight.  My back surgeon recommends PT and or Pilades, other wise back surgery is imminent. 

Sorry.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline salf

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
I have arthritis in my hands. I went wheat/gluten free to try to loose some weight after a couple of weeks I noticed the pain was gone. Christmas time I indulged in holiday treats within one week pain was back. Trying to stay on track now.
Sal
2007 Breva 1100
2000 Ducati Monster 900
1961 Bmw r27

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »

It won't cure you but see a physical therapist about exercises you can do to stay flexible and reduce some of the pain. I'd stay as far away from Prednisone as possible. Nasty side effects...at least for me.

:1:

Avoid the drugs , side affects are worse than the pain. I get it bad in the hands and find a hot soak in Epsom salt helps until I have to abuse them again. I know people who swear by yoga and they're a lot older and more flexible than I am. Hope you find some relief Pete.         Dave

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
 A life in construction helped my neck become a mess. I had severe arm pain muscle pain for the last 4 months so the Doc sent me to PT...I was doing Yoga about 6 months before the pain. The PT lady was good but nothing came of it pain wise...So I stopped the PT and Yoga...Went back to the Doc and he examined me again. He put pressure on my arm while I moved it....He would press and I jump in pain.  Doc said it's likely my spinal arthritis and compressed discs are pinching on the nerve to the arm......Since that day about a month ago I have been pain free. Like the Doc did something magical. And I believe the Yoga and PT was aggravating the problem  I just got a MRI of the neck , will see if the Doc calls me........I am back to my normal routine in the shop and I can ride the bike with no pain.......
  I've never had chronic pain and 5 months of it made me edgy.  You guys with chronic pain...It f***ing sucks...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:40:12 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »
What they are saying about exercise, swimming is the best for me, I also have a small farm and have quite a bit of physical work to do and this helps to keep me moving. The drugs tear my stomach up and I avoid them to include Celebrex/Prednisone/Motrin/Aspirin, Tylenol is all I use and that is used sparingly. Good luck with your treatment.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

56Pan

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
(snipped)  You guys with chronic pain...It f***ing sucks...

:angry: Big Time.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
Some good ideas here.   Also get an inversion Table, not inversion boots.  Over a few weeks take your inversion table down to 45 degree, anymore won't help but will screw with your blood pressure.  The act of flipping gravity on your body can make a substantial difference in your ability to move.  10 min each day or two helps me a lot.  Its fun too!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Yoga and or Tai chi. Prior to breaking my leg I had done about 10 years of Aikido. For some reason, getting thrown all over the mat did wonders for my back issues. You need to stay active.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
I think my inversion table is one of the best investments I've ever made in my therapy.

canuguzzi

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »
Learn and practice Tai Chi. Do it every day.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
"Severe Degenerative Arthritis" per the doc at the VA.  Right thumb.  Hurts most when I ride.  They gave me two different types of braces to wear to immobilize my thumb and damned if it doesn't eliminate about 90% of it!  They wanted to give me a shot of whatchmacallit and I told them after wearing the brace religiously, no need.  They also gave me a tube of Lidocaine cream, but I have yet to use it.  Thank you VA!!!  Now if I could just find a way to hold onto the throttle on my bikes without the pain.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »
If you are currently seeing a regular M.D. seek out a D.O. (Osteopath), they can sometimes work miracles with skeletal stuff.  D.O.'s are sorta like Chiropractors with an actual medical degree, very holistic and much in to looking at the big picture and lifestyle. They have to get a regular MD first and follow it on with a couple years of specialty training. 

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/pages/find-a-do-search.aspx
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
  Copious amounts of alcohol.  :boozing:

and maybe some pot...

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Neurosurgeon, told me to keep riding my sidecar rigs, as the pushing and pulling of the bars seam to be building up the core muscles and relieving the stress on my bulging disks.
'76 Convert with sidecar
'93 Cali III with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
and maybe some pot...

homemade and home grown  :thumb:  Just don't put oak in fresh shine or use the wrong seeds...
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
I haven't yet done Ti Chi, but I have high hopes for it.  And if u can get your have Cs o. Some Canabis, do it.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
and maybe some pot...

Not 'some' pot, but lots of pot.  with future weather predictions of extra warm and sunny, WA is going to fill up with oldsters. Taxes may be too high to keep it from being the new Pheonix, tho.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »
Yes, pot helps the pain and increases range-of-motion, but it's not a real good idea until you're all-in for the night.  Like alcohol, it can interfere with your piloting skills.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:08:26 PM »
Tried sour cherry juice,white raisins soaked in gin,turmeric all to no avail.Inversion table almost ruined me and I sold it the next day.Make sure you don't have a spinal issue before you fool with that thing.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
Broken neck in '86, and multiple shoulder and knee injuries have me in pain most of the time. Meditation and exercise help. I would rather work on facing the pain than deal with the drug side effects.  I will admit that pot is great for pain therapy, but not in huge amounts. Less than a gram a day is helpful. Trying to self teach tai chi, but I will probably end up looki for a class. Steroids are the devil and I avoid them at all costs.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
  Petite young hippie girls walking bare foot on my back does it for me.
 Luap won't let me show pics like these.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 09:54:24 PM »
VDG, not being a smart ass here, but frequent intercourse  can help.  Not only the back and core muscles, but also the prostrate. The release of endorphins at release helps with the pain, the frequent flexing of the lower back muscles helps tone, and flexibility, unless it's been welded like mine. Same kingdom, preferably same class suggested.  :evil: :wink: :grin:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
  Petite young hippie girls walking bare foot on my back does it for me.
 Luap won't let me show pics like these.

You wouldn't want to fight that kind of wisdom!!  God love young hippie girls!
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here