Author Topic: What do you do when you just stop riding?  (Read 15879 times)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
What do you do when you just stop riding?
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
The LeMans IV sits in the garage.  I can't tolerate the Memphis heat for long and thus despise riding in summer.  When school starts my kids will be a freshman and sophomore in high school and I'm heavily involved with them and their activities.  Track, wrestling, scouts, bicycling, etc.  Other obligations and care of an elderly mother leave me no time for riding other than the rare 50 mile jaunt, then it's back to the garage.  I walk past it everyday knowing it's probably my last motorcycle at 57 and having owned it since '87 it's hard to imagine it not being there.  I've recently rid myself of unused possessions and felt relief afterwards.  No more guilt and stressing over when I'll around to using them again.

Sure, in four more years the kids will be gone and I'll have time on my hands.  Almost makes me want to keep it, but it's not a two-up bike for Leigh and I since we're both 6' tall.  Prep it for long-term storage or just move on?  Hey, LM IVs are supposedly gaining in value so maybe I should consider the storage option?

In the meantime, I'll be listing a pair of Joe Rocket boots soon.  If I do ride, I just wear hiking boots now.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: What do you do when you just stop riding?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
I find myself riding less and less over the past couple of seasons.  Time has been sucked up by work and by horses.

I sold down to just the Sport 1100, my first Moto Guzzi and plan on keeping it, though it only gets a few thou per year.  I never commute anymore because of my schedule and because of traffic, and town riding is just no fun on the old Sport 1100.  My weekends have been taken up by other things, so not much time for weekend blasts here in The Ozarks.

I really want a new bike, but nothing out there lights my fire.  I'll be curious to see what's on the podium in Milan this fall, and maybe that will get me fired up.  I don't know.   

In the meantime, I'll just lovingly glance at my Sport 1100 each morning and afternoon as I walk through the garage.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
The LeMans IV sits in the garage.  I can't tolerate the Memphis heat for long and thus despise riding in summer.  When school starts my kids will be a freshman and sophomore in high school and I'm heavily involved with them and their activities.  Track, wrestling, scouts, bicycling, etc.  Other obligations and care of an elderly mother leave me no time for riding other than the rare 50 mile jaunt, then it's back to the garage.  I walk past it everyday knowing it's probably my last motorcycle at 57 and having owned it since '87 it's hard to imagine it not being there.  I've recently rid myself of unused possessions and felt relief afterwards.  No more guilt and stressing over when I'll around to using them again.

Sure, in four more years the kids will be gone and I'll have time on my hands.  Almost makes me want to keep it, but it's not a two-up bike for Leigh and I since we're both 6' tall.  Prep it for long-term storage or just move on?  Hey, LM IVs are supposedly gaining in value so maybe I should consider the storage option?

In the meantime, I'll be listing a pair of Joe Rocket boots soon.  If I do ride, I just wear hiking boots now.

Tobit

"I walk past it everyday knowing it's probably my last motorcycle at 57"

You say that like you're getting old or something. I'm sure there's plenty of life left in the old dog.  You may find time short at the moment, but things can change. Your kids will be out of your hair before you know it.  If they're in high school now, you should be far from geriatric before they've moved on.

Get on with your life as it is now and take another look when it's not so hot and you're not feeling so miserable.  Remember - life doesn't even start to get interesting until you hit 60.

Nick

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Store it. I'll bet that if you sell it, you'll be sorry you did. It's not eating anything, unlike Rocker's horses.. :evil: :smiley: Life begins at 60, ya know.
You get old.  :cool:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
I got four bikes after turning 57 so don't say it's your last bike (I don't have kids, that may skew the curve a bit :) ). For many bikes, selling is the logical answer. For a special few, and you have one, storing makes the most sense. Moth ball it properly and if down the road a ways if you decide that it needs to go; well, better than money in the bank!
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Store it. I'll bet that if you sell it, you'll be sorry you did. It's not eating anything, unlike Rocker's horses.. :evil: :smiley: Life begins at 60, ya know.
You get old.  :cool:

Yeah.  That's the great thing about motorcycles as compared to horses.

You can park a motorcycle and forget it.  And, it doesn't cost you anything while it's idle.

Horses?  They pretty much cost the same whether you're using them, or not...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »
So much I could say-but this year, my 60th, I'm not only riding a new bike, I rode a nice LONG ride-3 weeks-in the company of my similarly aged wife.

She once said we'd be young as long as we kept riding.

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
Been where you're at. Stopped riding for the high school years of kids. Just not enough time. Always knew I'd ride after that though. Kept the ST though, then a Hinckley Triumph Trophy and on and on. Some sat for a while, ridden infrequently but still on those times when time was available, a good ride.

For that heat you can't stand though, have a friend elsewhere? Put the bike there and then you have an excuse to go somewhere else and ride your brains out.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
So much I could say-but this year, my 60th, I'm not only riding a new bike, I rode a nice LONG ride-3 weeks-in the company of my similarly aged wife.

She once said we'd be young as long as we kept riding.

That's me and Fay.   With the kids long gone, and us at 61 now, she's enjoying riding with me more than ever.   

We just knocked off last week on a whim, put Jack the Border Collie in summer camp, and took off for 4 days of riding in the western Virginia and eastern West Virginia (say that fast three times) on the roads we just love.

And I'm taking off Thursday and heading to the Ohio Valley BSA Owner's Club rally in northeast Ohio, camping for 5 days, on my old BSA A10.   For the past two days I've looked like an engine-room wiper on a WWI destroyer, covered with grease from working on the bike, changing the primary chain, packing the dynamo chaincase with grease, sorting cables and oil leaks, all that good stuff.

It's just fun.   I certainly stay WAY WAY busier with non-bike things that I thought I would when I retired 7 months ago, but still finding time to ride.   I've sold two bikes that were "surplus to continuing operations" (as the auction places say), and I'll probably get myself down to three or so, and maybe replace one of those with some other "bucket list" bike ...

I don't know what to say about "sell it or store it" if you find your riding slowing down.   On the one hand, if it's a bike you've really bonded with, it's not eating anything if you store it properly.   And if you sell it, you can ALWAYS buy another one like it, might cost a little money if it's a rare bike, but even if it were a Crocker or a Brough-Superior, you could replace it.

So don't worry about it, and let nature take its course.   Motorcycling isn't the Mafia - you CAN quit if you want to ....  :grin:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
  If you told me you have a one year old bike you are still paying I would say sell it.  An '86 LeMans is a different story.
  My wifes youngest just graduated college and I have no children I know of,  so I tend to judge people with kids from what it was like for me growing up.  I think it is insane the amount of time people spend carting there kids around from here and there just so the have a well rounded childhood.   But that is not what we are talking about.   The chance you could replace your present bike 4-5 years from now for the same money is pretty slim.  If you like it keep it,  keep good fuel stabilizer in the tank, battery tender and get a flannel cover.  If there are things you have always wanted to do to the bike make a plan and spend time with it in that way.  Polish the wheels, keep it waxed and keep fresh oil in it if it sits. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
I can't imagine not having at least one motorcycle. Would be my own personal version of "Hell".  :sad:
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »
I can't imagine not having at least one motorcycle. Would be my own personal version of "Hell".  :sad:

Yep.  :smiley: There have been years that I haven't had an airplane, but as soon as I left home (no motorcycles allowed) I've always had a bike. Always will..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
I suggest keeping and riding once a month.  I figured I was off two wheelers when I hit 50, but got a 1400 at 61, and now have an SO who is looking at bigger bikes.  So hard to tell what is going to happen. 

Offline idahorider

• Gosling
  • pmitchellemerson@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
My experience: Sometime, usually soon, after you sell the bike you will realize the money has disappeared and you no longer have a motorcycle. Then you realize how much it will cost to replace the bike and, if you do, you might not find anything you like nearly as well.
I've had some of the same thoughts about my small gun collection. I doubt I will ever hunt again, but I just like having them and getting them out once in awhile to clean, oil and remember chasing pheasants through creek bottoms with my Labs.
Clarkston, WA

2006 B1100
1983 R100RT

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
(I can't tolerate the Memphis heat for long and thus despise riding in summer.)
Try living in Scotland, we yearn for heat and no rain! Still ride my bike whatever, the alternative is too depressing to contemplate. I have way too many bikes but they eat no hay, just a PITA to keep on top of, may slim it down but I'd regret it. Keep the Guzzi, you know it makes sense  :azn:

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
For that heat you can't stand though, have a friend elsewhere? Put the bike there and then you have an excuse to go somewhere else and ride your brains out.

Tobit,

You can store it here at my place in Pennsylvania where it is less hot.     It'll be in good company with a several other vintage bikes, and two newer Guzzis.    I'll keep fresh fuel in it, and keep the oil circulated so it is ready for you to ride when you come visit.        :grin:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
.....If you like it keep it,  keep good fuel stabilizer in the tank, battery tender and get a flannel cover.  If there are things you have always wanted to do to the bike make a plan and spend time with it in that way.  Polish the wheels, keep it waxed and keep fresh oil in it if it sits.

For longer term storage, I'd remove the battery, keep it on a tender separate from the bike, and completely drain the fuel tank and carbs.    Even with fuel stabilizer, ethanol-contaminated fuel won't last more than a year before it starts to varnish things up -- likely less.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
At 57, you're a mere chicken. If you budget for another 40 years (not unreasonable these days), you've only lived half your adult life. Time enough for anything. The one thing you can count on, is that things will change - so keep your options open. You WILL come across something (and probably more than a few somethings) that you'll embrace with enthusiasm and get a lot out of. And there's nothing like a long trip to widen perspectives - we do tend to get stuck in familiar habits and limit our own options.

One of my lessons - back in the seventies, I met my great-uncle's father-in-law. He had retired at 45, most of his contemporaries were dead by 40, and believing he only had a few years left, he sold his business & invested the proceeds. He was 95 (and his annuity didn't even cover his tea money). You never know how long you've got.

I know a few guys still riding in their 80's & 90's, and quite a few who STARTED in their 60's. Plenty of opportunities for a sea change or two.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
Stop riding ???  WTF is wrong with you?   Just because it's too hot for a few months ???  I won't quit riding 'til I'm physically incapable or dead.  If I have to get a trike, so be it.  :bow:   Raised 2 sons but never stopped riding then.   :boxing:  Will be 72 this month.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:02:55 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »
  Die.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »
Tobit
Hmmm. Not enough 50 mile jaunts to relieve your guilt and stressing, it seems. I too, don't like the summer heat (here) either with its high humidity and the threat of rain and my bike does not get much exercise then. But come Autumn and Spring, I'm into it :grin: Question is, "Do you really need to feel Guilty about parking your bike for the summer?" Aint no cops 'round here mate. No crime committed. You're free to please yourself :grin: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
I got into road riding about 20 years ago.  The kids were both adults, on their own and my major responsibilities of meeting the financial needs for the family were complete.  I was 62 years then.  Since then I've owned eight different cycles and am approaching 300K miles in total. 

Yes, I'm getting older and am beginning to consider my next steps in this hobby.  At some point, back-to-back 600 mile days will be replaced by shorter 400/450 mile days, probably at a slower pace with more rest stops along the way.  Also, at some point the Stelvio NTX, which has served me very well for over 30K miles, will need to be replaced by something a bit lighter but that can be adapted to my new riding needs.  I don't see myself giving up quite yet.  I still enjoy getting out and rolling down the road.

Tobit, I'd echo the advice from some of the others -- store the bike if riding is not in the cards for the time being.  Properly stored, it'll be ready for you when you are ready/capable of enjoying it again.  OTOH, if you're capable of getting out for those 50 mile jaunts every week or so once the weather turns decent again, they might be "Just the Ticket" to help you clear your mind of the stress of dealing with those every day problems that will occur.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
When the hot days hit Phoenix and the "cold" days in the winter; about the only riding I can muster is a quick run up to Cave Creek to have coffee and chew the fat. It's a godsend to have a place like that as a motivator for a short ride. Also good for an escape if life is getting busy and you need a good excuse for a couple hours of escape but no time for a real ride.

I'd like to get down to one bike, but I have no idea which two to purge. :p First world problems.  :grin:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Bill Hagan

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »
At 57, you're a mere chicken. If you budget for another 40 years (not unreasonable these days), you've only lived half your adult life. Time enough for anything.

I do not wish to trivialize Tobit's worry, as it there is much right and little wrong in reflecting now and then on this magnificent obsession of ours: riding motorcycles.

That said, WRT the "old" part, my father-in-law, Len, turned 93 on 30 July.

Yesterday, he bought a new, loaded, 2015 Buick LaCrosse.   :laugh:

He drove its predecessor -- a 2011 LaCrosse -- here (a 600-mile r/t) frequently to visit, accompanied by his 80-YO girlfriend.  A Pennsylvania State Trooper stopped him for speeding this past spring.  Len doesn't look his age, and the cop was near dumfounded when he saw the DL. Waved him on with, "Please slow down, Sir."   :wink:

Anyway, whether a healthy lifestyle (check), a younger girlfriend (check)  :bow:, or whatever, 57 is way short for a final descent.

I "returned" to motorcycles at 53; have bought four new Guzzis since; have about 200K on those in 15 years.  Hope to keep playing with them as long as I can.  As of now, I think that end-date is quite a ways out.

Best wishes on the decision, Tobit; trust you will not sell yourself short.

Bill

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:07:46 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
Hey you young whippersnapper. I'm 72 and still riding, had three teenagers in High School at the same time.
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a 7 1/2 hour ride to the MotoGP at Indy. I don't ride a bunch but when I do I have a ball.

Keep the bike and ride it or you can give it to me.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Maybe the key in the Summer is to get out for a ride early in the morning when it's cooler?
Charlie

Bill Hagan

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
Hey you young whippersnapper. I'm 72 and still riding, had three teenagers in High School at the same time.
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a 7 1/2 hour ride to the MotoGP at Indy. I don't ride a bunch but when I do I have a ball.

Keep the bike and ride it or you can give it to me.

Dean

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
If you sell it, You'll wish you hadn't. Keep it, you'll still ride some when the weather get's better in the fall. I just did a little run from Siloam Springs, Ar. to Springfield, Mo. on the LMIII, 134 miles in the saddle non stop, it was great!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

nunzio

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »
 "I walk past it everyday knowing it's probably my last motorcycle at 57 and having owned it since '87 it's hard to imagine it not being there."

You never know when you will be ready to start riding again.

"It don't eat much" is what my Dad used to say when I was trying to decide to sell something I still liked ,but, was tired of looking at.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
At 57 you are just a young pup, lots of riding years ahead.

A friend never rode at all until he learned to ride at 72, now he puts on more miles than anyone I know.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:32:06 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here