Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 10379 times)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
What are you doing right now?
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
I'm sitting at work.  The last Friday I'll be employed.  4 days to go until retirement.     :boozing:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
I'm sitting at work.  The last Friday I'll be employed.  4 days to go until retirement.     :boozing:

Nice.

I'm sitting in my office, which is between the laundry room and the foyer, but I can see the kitchen and the kid's playroom from here.

Dropped the kids off at daycare an hour ago, working a bit and waiting for Jenn to come home from an overnight shift in the NICU.

Life is good!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
John. a whole new world will open up to you when it finally happens. Good luck!
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
75 850t wifes (Plum Crazy)
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661
Never take life so serious you won't get out of it alive

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
Heading to the salt mine to put my nose to the grindstone..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »
John,

I've been sitting at my computer for the past few hours looking at maps and my bucket list, thinking about what to do over the next few years. I started phased retirement 1 1/2 year ago thinking that it would be nice to gradually transition from my career job into a new way to channel my time and energy. It hasn't been working out for me; I am very bored and feel stuck in a rut. Everyone keeps telling me how much I will love retirement, but part of me wonders if I won't just become twice as bored as I am now when I fully retire in May.

I hope you have a good plan for your retirement; at least I hope you are feeling more optimistic about the change than I am.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline paper

• I like naps
  • Hatchling
  • BACON!!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:24:37 AM »
Congratulations John!!  :thumb:

I'm 9 years away from my retirement goal date  :clock: and I so look forward to the day I announce that I'm done..

Enjoy retirement!!! Looking forward to a congratulatory handshake in person this next rally season!!
Been going to Guzzi Rallies long enough. Figured I'd actually buy one..

And then I sold it.. :(

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »
Sitting in my office...getting things ready for our Christmas shut down.
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
Sitting in my basement office, alternating between finishing off the excavation report of a tiny AD 700-850 campsite (which is like pulling teeth) and doing the first edits on my new book about hiking and riding in the UK. It's grey and miserable outside.  And now I'm heading upstairs for my third cup of coffee of the day.

Nick

lucydad

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »
John,

I am retired!  That means got up 7:30 AM, showered, poodles out and fed and in and out and in and out.  Leisurely breakfast and coffee reading newspaper. Sunshine and chilly, now on PC catching up.  Next up is a poodle walk.  Good friend Jeff will come over at 11 and we will have lunch, compare notes and give each other support on dealing with family, bitchy wives and retirement.  Get to finally show him the Guzzi and Triumph.  He used to ride BMWs and I am trying to get his spark turning again.  We will have fun, Jeff is one of my best friends.

House hell continues.  Still waiting loan approval.  Hope to have inside painting done on this one by end of weekend. 

One of the best parts of retirement:  no fracking commute after 5 AM wakeup, and going into office full of zombies, especially the dreaded Mr. boss and Mr. donut.  Finished with those asshats.

Life is about to get a lot better for you!

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 09:15:16 AM »
I'm killing time waiting for a truck to show up so I can offload 1,000# skid of equipment. Then a 60 mile drive to the office. If all goes well in another 11 years and 10 months I'll be typing the same thing.

Good on you and I wish you a long healthy retirement.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »
Well...I am looking at Wold Guzzi of course. Getting ready to go out the door to the fitness center. Retired at the end of May. Life is good! :thumb:
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Guzzer

• New Egg
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
Almost completely retired...drinking the last cup of morning coffee & then headed out to tighten up all the bolts on my T3 pegs to floorboard project.....  Then attach & adjust the shifter & brake linkages. 
Retirement is delicious, but wish the body was more forgiving.
Hope you love it as much as I do, John!
Guzzer
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador riding refurbishment
1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Moto Guzzi T waiting for some attention
Moto Guzzi 850 T3 for trips
Suzuki GS550 for easy country  riding

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
I just finished breakfast. I'm goofing off on the computer before I start goofing off in earnest. I'll take the dog for a nice walk*,  then probably start putting in some new seals on an Eldo rear drive. (I'm still doing some part-time work at home; I think that is an ideal arrangement)

*My dog got me a laser rangefinder for Christmas--it's fun to estimate distances on our walks.

Rich A

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
Just got back from breakfast with a good friend. We took the motorbikes, so it was doubly fun. I retired back in '08, but was enticed back to the workforce with an offer I couldn't refuse. After three years, I'm ready to hang it up again. A totally flexible schedule is a beautiful thing! Congratulations, John. Take my advice; stop watching the news...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
Beautiful morning here working from home today, a gorgeous view of the blue skies, green garden, cool breeze with a wonderful Labrador at my feet, a cup of Café Mocha, and a few hours of work, then playtime!  Work is great and all is well with the world.

Moto ride coming up in the afternoon...an easy 200 miler out to the country side for lunch in Round Top...

Awaiting after the ride, a bottle of Blue Chimay...

I love 1/2 day Fridays!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
Its50 degrees in CT with light rain
I just finished the brake peg mod on my V7 so now I'm going for a long walk in the woods

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Now? Was up at 5am, coffee on, now sitting in front of the computer being entertained, picking up tips & drinking the coffee, but it's now dawn, so a quick blat up the old road to the slab & back before it gets too hot & before the weekend warriors start accumulating. See you later.

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Right now? Reading this post AND setting up a time line preparation and plan for a cross the USA trip on my Jackal this coming summer. The other day my wife said to me in an offhand way that she feels like I need to make a long motorcycle ride before its too late. Hmm- what does she know that I don't?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
JU, trust me..it'll be the best job you never had.  :smiley: I'm out in sunny SoCal. Just got back from a leisurely breakfast, and went grocery shopping. Getting ready to finish up the service on the Mighty Scura, and head to MG Classics and shoot the sh!t with Mark a while. The only thing I *have* to do today is remember to put oil in the Scura before leaving.. :cool: :boozing:
Of course, I haven't punched a clock since '92 (!) so it's easy for me to do this job. You'll figure it out soon enough..  :wink:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »

Congrats on the retirement - Hopefully it's a desired situation

Me- I'm just home from work and there's a great episode of Dr. Phil on featuring a polygamist family on here with some poor 19yo girl and her 61 year old "grandfather". That's a weird scene.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline V7Record

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
I've been playing with grandkids all day, house full of family, now off to a wedding rehearsal.  My son gets married tomorrow! :grin:
Congrats on retirement JU!
Brian

BigDave in PA

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
Sitting in my living room wasting time reading meaningless useless posts on Wildguzzi.   :grin:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:40:01 PM by BigDave in PA »

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »

Got out of work an hour early, went to pub and slammed two lagers in my face with a friend of mine.
Now home for next 16 days, generous Christmas vacation as company benefit. Drinking Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale right now and will pick few more from garage fridge soon.

Tomorrow pick a friends moped, which will stay at my "moped hotel" over the winter.  He's a "poor" college student, who does not afford/have proper storage, so I drive to York, pick up his moped and put it in warm garage over the winter. (and deliver back spring). Full service house :grin: :grin:
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
Loafing, just waiting for the arrival of my new Rokon.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
JU,
I'm killing a little time before I go to a beautiful young widows home for a meal of fish, corn on the cob, etc. I wonder what dessert will be. :grin: I'm wearing a clean pair of Round House striped bib overalls and a Guzzi t-shirt.

Life is rough being an East Texas turnip farmer.

Tex

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
4 of the 5 kids are here, all in their rooms, at least one asleep.  Had my first PTO (paid time off) day today since I started this past July.  Worked from home from 6-9. Went into Asheville and dropped off the deposit on our new home at the real estate agent.  Left to go buy a car and pick up kids from Charlotte Amtrak station and airport. Got a call on the way from the used car dealer in Charlotte that the car I was planning on buying today has a bad tranny and I should pass on it (thank you Joe the used car dealer!).  Had some extra time so stopped in to the nearest Ford dealer looking to see if by chance he had one of the cars I was hunting (Ford Freestyle, Taurus X, or Chrysler Pacifica) - no dice.  I see a Chrysler dealer down the road in this nice small town (Morganton) and he has a sweet looking Pacifica.  3 hours later, I trade my car for the Pacifica, leave, pick up the kids in Charlotte, go through our first snow on the way back, pick up pizza, get home.  The little kids go wild that the elder kids are home.  Great dinner, fun, then bedtime.  Then read WG and do this post.  Good night!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

enjoy.  It'll be two years for me in April.  Highly recommended.   :grin:

where was I?  Star Wars movie ($4.40 for matinee ticket) and later 3 Johnny Blacks with another retired buddy after I picked up a Christmas gift. 
 :boozing:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:20:37 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Penderic

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
When you're retired and the weather outside is not perfect......

:laugh:

56Pan

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 04:38:22 AM »
Retired a year ago from last Aug.  Life is good.  Catching up on all the back burner stuff that piled up when I worked away from home the previous 8 yrs.  Old boss called me last night and wants me to go to Phoenix and train a herd of new mechanics on 20 B767 freighters that they'd just bought.  2 weeks of work every two months.  Think I'll do it.  Keep the brain functioning a little better maybe.  I could use that according to the wife.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »
 I retired in 2004....Yesterday I was doing what I always do, making two and four wheel things from piles of mismatched parts...
  Yesterday trying to fit a late model Harley 5 speed with electric starter into a space that too small...Today more of the same

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here