Author Topic: What are normal operating temps and pressures?  (Read 5509 times)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
What are normal operating temps and pressures?
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
I have 1100cc Cali engines, one solid and one hydro.  In Sitka they barely broke 100ºf because the temps are so cold, it's so rainy, and there's no road.  Now I'm riding in the great Outside, and of course temps are up and idle pressure is down.  I'm so used to the Alaska climate that I don't know what's 'normal' anymore. 

So . . . in the John Day Rally weather (90s and low humidity), pushing it hard, what would you expect engine temps to be?  At that first stop after the spirited mountain pass run, what would you expect oil pressure to be?  Stop-and-go in downtown Ogden (100f and 80% humidity).  . . ?

Ditto other weather scenarios . .  . 220f?  250?  280?.  . . .?  10#?  2#?  . . . .?

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: What are normal operating temps and pressures?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Since there is no temperature control device, won't the air temp different translate to the same difference in engine temp?
As in, the air is 40F hotter, so the motor is 40F hotter?

That is about what I always see winter to summer, using an oil temp dipstick.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
'04 hydro in the Long Beach Ca. area with normal temps 65-85 deg.. Oil pressure (with a cheap electrical gauge) cold idle is about 60, 3500rpm about 55-60, hot idle varies on how much city vs. freeway but is between 5-15.

No temp gauge, sorry.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Since there is no temperature control device, won't the air temp different translate to the same difference in engine temp?
As in, the air is 40F hotter, so the motor is 40F hotter?

That is about what I always see winter to summer, using an oil temp dipstick.

All else being equal, yes.  But (for examples) the engine is working harder and going slower in mountain passes, so there's less airflow for cooling there than on the slab, and it's got no airflow at a stop light or in stop and go traffic.  So I'd expect those situations to have different effects on temperature. 

Hot oil and urban stop-and-go is a miserable thing to put the oil pressure through, too.  Mine runs in the mid 40's/50s at 65mph, but on a hot day coming straight out of 60mph to a stop, it drops below 5#.  This is a hydro engine that had a counterfeit/partial recall done and had a previous oil pump failure.  Crank was polished (MI) and new bearings installed throughout, but I've always been nervous about the crankpin runouts.  It's also doing the equivalent of tug duty without the benefit of shifting gears, so it may be working harder than a normal hydro.  :undecided:   Temp and pressure numbers would help me decide.  If I don't like the numbers I see here for 'normal' I might install a cooler.  It's easy enough, but if I'm within limits, why fix it?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:26:56 PM »
At least you should not be getting much in the way of mayonnaise buildup :thumb: compared to riding in Alaska.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Eldorado, on the trip to John Day I held a pretty consistent 75 mph and the oil pressure gauge tends to stay at 65 psi at the speed and heat.

Can't help you with the engine temperature.

Cheers

Jim

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
Ask that guy rodekyll...he'll know lots of that stuff
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 11:38:17 PM »
[counterfeit/partial recall] Jeez, I deal with counterfeit component fears in the day job every week, but it happens in the Guzzi world also? What is this third stone from the sun coming to ?
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »
I had 2 ATF coolers on my Convert. hack so I wouldn't blow an atf. seal.  I had a temp. gauge. in the ATF tank and knew what temp. the seals would blow at and when the ATF fluid got close I'D shut down for awhile to let the fluid cool down before proceeding.  That usually only happened in stop & go or slow uphill situations.  Never blew an atf seal that way.  That was pulling a fully loaded sidecar w/a `80 Convert.   :smiley:  With your setup I have no idea what it's like.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:15:34 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:33:26 AM »
So far hydraulic drive temp is not an issue.  It runs a nominal 20º over air temp unless I'm stressing it.  Making the engine go fast while the wheels are going slow (like takeoff from a stop) is a major stress, and with little airflow, a stock Convert can heat up fast.  The highest the trike has gotten was in stop-and-go traffic on an uphill arterial in Minneapolis, mid 90s air temp.  The hydraulic temp was 160f.  I have a fan behind the radiator set for 180º.  So far it's only gone off when I've tested it.

I'm using a radiator as a combination tank and cooler.  It has about 16x the surface area of the convert cooler and I think the capacity is comparable.  It's buried back near the rear axle with a 'scoop' of sorts ramming air into it whenever the trike is rolling.  So scampering over a mountain pass in hot weather with a lot of sawing on the throttle it runs in the 130-142º range.  Often at night it's under 100.

On a sustained run the engine tends to run about 110 - 120º hotter than whatever the hydraulic fluid is. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 02:46:36 AM »
If you were worried about the temp of the ATF when the trike is going slow and under load, could you put a radiator fan for a car in the scoop and have it set to turn on via a thermocouple?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »
it drops below 5#
I've never run a pressure gauge on a Guzzi, but that would concern me. Maybe it's normal, but I wouldn't think so.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
If you were worried about the temp of the ATF when the trike is going slow and under load, could you put a radiator fan for a car in the scoop and have it set to turn on via a thermocouple?

There's a fan behind the radiator set to 180º.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
To add another data point; I've got a cylinder head temp sensor on my V7.  I routinely get oper temps of 390 - 420 F.
Slightly higher if I'm running sustained 80+mph on the highway, on low side if I'm putting around backroads.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
Just out of curiosity -- how do you have the head temp sensor installed?

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity -- how do you have the head temp sensor installed?

I have ring sensors on each spark plug, mounted between the plug and the head.  Their leads go to a dual gauge on my dash.

[http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/cr-002.php

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
I have a head temp gauge -- just don't know where I want the sender.  I think a spark plug ring came with the kit.  I'll try that first.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
I have a head temp gauge -- just don't know where I want the sender.  I think a spark plug ring came with the kit.  I'll try that first.

Rodekyll,
In theory the spark plug sender system is great.  In practice it's hard to get it operating correctly. 

I think the problem is that the gauge is driven by the tiny current generatored by the sensor thermocouple.  The current is so small, it's easy for other issues to alter the reading.

Give it a shot and let me know.
Joe   
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
Rodekyll,
In theory the spark plug sender system is great.  In practice it's hard to get it operating correctly. 

I think the problem is that the gauge is driven by the tiny current generatored by the sensor thermocouple.  The current is so small, it's easy for other issues to alter the reading.

Joe

I think it also came with a ring for under a head stud/exh flange nut.  Would either be a better/less finicky location?

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
I think it also came with a ring for under a head stud/exh flange nut.  Would either be a better/less finicky location?

My guess is that under the plug is hottest and gives the best reading.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
Rodekyll,

Joe
Thermocouples have a very low impedance, they can drive a lot of load besides which the gauge is probably a modern milliVolt meter, the thermocouple won't even know it's there.

The main thing is to use the correct thermocouple extension wire, if you use copper it will get errors due to difference in temperature at each end of the copper portion, even that shouldn't be significant.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:31:25 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 11:12:50 PM »
I dunno what normal is, but I can tell you that two days ago I rode the Santa Rosa Trail here, on my Quota 1100E with 37000 km on it, in 85 to 90 degree ambient temps.
 So long as my rpm were up above 2500 the OP was upwards of 40psi (VDO guage).  But much of my running was crawling at lower rpm in first and second gear as the trail was pretty rough and boney, so the OP was down much of the time at 30psi.
At 1100rpm hot idle, it was as low as 7-10psi. The idiot light did not light up. As soon as i hit smoother parts of the trial, and I was able to maintain a steady speed in third, with rpm again up to 3000-4000, OP rose to a steady 50-55.Once I hit the highway again, OP went back up to 55-60. Also, cold idle is 60+psi.
I have a hunch that the pressure at lower speeds could not be sustained, as the rpm were up and down really rapidly as I doges water bars and rocks, but once I was able to maintain a smooth speed and rpm, it normalized. Just a theory.
My conclusion is that I wish I had not put the OP gauge in, as now I have something else to worry about. Did the same thing on a Volvo B230FT I modified. Worst thing I could have done, should have just trusted the engineers who put the idiot light in it. 
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
hehe

I'm trusting the engineer that didn't.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 04:47:40 AM »

Worst thing I could have done, should have just trusted the engineers who put the idiot light in it. 
JD

As for temperature on a V7, I'm just an idiot with no light.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
Rodekyll,

Joe

I had "issues" with the CHT on Mouser until I used Wayne's magic elixer DeOxit gold on the thermocouple connections. Apparently, a little corrosion goes a long way.
Your CHT readings are just right.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
My conclusion is that I wish I had not put the OP gauge in, as now I have something else to worry about.

I was at Oshkosh last week talking to a fellow Sonerai (VW powered) guy that was telling me all the things he had done trying to cure one cylinder that EGT was running 90 degrees hotter than the others. Changed the baffling, intake manifolding, etc. Spent all summer fooling with it. I said, "rear right, correct?" Yeah. "I know exactly what is wrong." His eyes lit up, and I said, "Too much instrumentation."  :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Some might find this informative, if not entertaining: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=31791.0;nowap

Since then, I have switched to Amsoil 20W50.  (Brief detour to rant about allegedly "synthetic" oil in the US.  When it first came out, Mobil1 was true synthetic.  Then Castrol came up with a "more refined" petroleum version (I think it is called Group III) that they said was "almost as good" so they labeled it as synth.  Mobil sued them, Castrol convinced a judge to rule their way, and ever since we have some brands (now including Mobil1) that still label the Group III as synthetic.  Unless the bottle says which base stock is used (synthetics are either poly-alfa-olefin based or an ester based polymer) it ain't the good stuff. /rant)  The Amsoil gives me a good 10 psi more at 120 C at "Guzzi speed" (4k rpm), and the idle pressure rarely drops below 8-10 psi at elevated temps, even in traffic.  At cold start, idle pressure is bouncing off the relief valve at about 65 psi so I usually try to warm the bike up for 2-3 minutes before riding off even in the summer, and then ride "gently" for the first couple of miles.  That might be better with a 10W60, maybe I'll find out some day.  Above 110 C I still get about 40-45 psi at 4k rpm, which I consider minimally adequate using the old "10 psi per thousand rpm" rule of thumb.  That's where I get the 10 psi more than with the Mobil1.  I think 20W50 is exempt from the EPA's insistence that manufacturers remove lubricants from motor oil, the last batch of Amsoil that I bought says that it includes plenty of zinc, right on the bottle so that's a bonus for my flat tappets.

I have also explored the possibility of adding a later sump with the oil cooler.  That would require changing, or at least modifying, the timing cover because the fins on the bottom of the cover interfere with the oil cooler stuff on the sump so I have decided to just attack the problem with better oil.  So far that seems to be adequate.

Hope this helps you a little, Rodekyll.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 02:04:26 PM »
It's all helping.  :)

Are you saying the 20/50 did better hot than 10/60? 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »
It's all helping.  :)

Are you saying the 20/50 did better hot than 10/60?

I don't *think* that was what he was saying.. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »
I was confused.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here