Author Topic: What bike for a tourer?  (Read 21347 times)

Offline cee2cee

• New Egg
What bike for a tourer?
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What bike for a tourer?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
Why would someone want a touring bike without saddle bags?

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
Has to be a Guzzi given what you are asking
you should buy a KLR
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
By touring I'm going to assume that you are looking to put 250 plus miles on a day for 2 nights or more at a time. You need:  1. Bags for this 2. Good weather protection. 3. A bike that won't burn your butt after 3 hours. I don't think you can do that on the lighter bikes. If you want to tour, a touring bike would be my recommendation. It is difficult to beat a Harley full dresser, and it is definitely over 600 pounds.  A multi-day long-distance trip on a V7 would not be comfortable. I have a V7 and love it, but a touring bike it will never be.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
Hey didn't say he didn't want to use bags, he said he is not interested in a large bagger, like a Cal model or even Norge.

To give you a general answer, the v7 line from Stone to Specials can make great tours.  You can add as much or as little touring equipment to fit your needs, and for that matter so to of the v9 line.  Guzzi offers lots of accessory touring gear for each model.  People tour on all kinds of bikes and sizes, and the Guzzi small blocks are a great choice for lots of folks.  Many people here have sweet set ups, I'm sure they pop up with some.  Or just do a "small block touring" search and you should come up with lots of threads on the subject.   Then you need to get to a dealer and take a look in the flesh, and better yet ride them, they are great bikes.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:07 PM »
Quite few people now tourer on various V-7s so if that is what you want size wise, go for it and check them out. For not much more money you can buy a new Norge although it is a 600# bike but you only know it in parking lots and in garages. Don't sell a Norge short either on burning twisties. The Norge is also just a nicely comfortable ride with a great fairing setup. Any particular reason for not considering the larger bikes?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »
Has to be a Guzzi given what you are asking
you should buy a KLR
or loose another 60# get a DR 650
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
 You guys ... can't tour on a V7, gotta buy a big ol' Harley , or some single cylinder dual sport . why can't you tour on a V7 or a newer V9 ? Sheesh  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
I did a lot of distance stuff on an 850T5 (400-500mi was a good day for me with some longer thrown in for fun). I would think the V9 platform would be a decent touring bike.  The only real issue I can see is with the 'tiny' gas tank.

BUT...in order to live with the T5 I had to add a largish fairing and a custom seat.  I think you'd have to do something about the seat first.  Add a good windscreen, if not a fairing of some sort.  Wind protection is a personal thing so do what you like.  Bags could be anything you like.  Mine were ammo cans :)

Have you considered a Beemer?  F800GT?

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »
A tour is just a series of day rides back to back.  Until it's a constant 40 degrees or so it's not unreasonable to ride a V7 type bike for days on end.  Even at those low temps plenty ride small(ish) naked bikes all over.

Heck, my friend and her husband ride a Bonnie and Scrambler (Triumph) form Alabama to VT every year to join us for a weekend.

My V7 has a Ventura rack system, a rear seat bag (not too big) and a tank bag.  I can fit all I need.  Granted, it's not a lot but it's plenty for the task if you pack sensible.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »
You guys ... can't tour on a V7, gotta buy a big ol' Harley , or some single cylinder dual sport . why can't you tour on a V7 or a newer V9 ? Sheesh  :rolleyes:

Dusty

you can, I just don't want to.. the v7 variants don't push any right buttons for me..
I saw a brand new 2017 SV 650 at Leo's today for $6,999..it almost pushed my button.. that is a lot of bike for the money.. course it doesn't have saddle bags..
the new DR was $6500. can't figure that, for 500 more you can get the SV. add $500for ABS (but wtf, can only get abs on red bike not the white one).
434# WET!

they call this one a Scrambler..

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:28:48 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
 :popcorn:

more please
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »
or loose another 60# get a DR 650
Yeah no argument form me both are highly capable bike to cross country  on
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:32:39 PM by lti_57 »
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
The V7 / V9 are not touring bikes...(IHMO).  You don't want a Bagger, so if it is a modern Guzzi you want, my vote is a Stelvio or maybe a Norge.   

Otherwise, there are countless other bikes that would bit the bill.... :thumb: :cool:  Example: My old 2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Light / Fast / Superb Handling / Brakes and RELIABLE!  :thumb: :cool:

image hosting services

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »
Here is another great touring bike I have owned....the BMW R1150RT. 

Lots of Guzzi riders "Poo-Poo" Beemers, but they are excellent touring bikes, period, (IMHO).   :cool:

I have owned and two airheads and two oil-head Beemers and have logged >100,000 on these twins.  I would not hesitate to own another...

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Foto - don't know about the SV 650, but I can attest to the long legs of that engine in a VStrom chassis.  Talk about a bike that punched above its weight ... my riding buddy's 650 VStrom bagged, and with tank bag and rear rack made for a really good cross country machine.

Of course, so did my 2008 1200 Sport, but that's heavier than the OP asked about.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:08:17 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »
I bought my first dedicated tourer in 1990, a Kawasaki Concours.  After five riding seasons, I traded for a K1100LT.  After seven seasons I bought a Cal EV set up with three hard bags and Rifle windshield.  I found myself riding the KLT less and less so sold it and kept the EV.

In 2012, I realized that although I truly enjoyed touring on the EV it was getting to be a bit of a handful around town and in the garage.  I wanted to trade down in size and keep the touring capability.

My solution was an R1200R with side bags and a medium-sized windshield.  It weighs much less than any of the tourers I'd owned, but still packs a lot of power and touring capability.  With the bags and windshield, I'm guessing it weighs about 530 pounds wet.

For now, it's the perfect tourer for me -- with the bonus of being easy to ride around town and shuffle in the garage.
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
In 40 years of ridding distance touring rides I can tell you from experience, weight is your friend, luggage is your Pal and wind protection is your Best Gal! That being said the Calvin is a good bar hopper as well as long distance ride. 3-400 mile days can be ridden comfortably if you have average stamina and the weight is heavy enough to ride smooth but not to heavy to pick up by yourself if you drop her. Your money though, good luck with your choice.

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
Never had one but I can see the WeeStrom doing the job if you fit on it.  So many folks I know have one.  You might think of a similar design but with a shaft drive?  The Yamaha Super Tenere comes to mind (I know bigger engine?).  I've put 100s of thousands of cross country miles on bikes with 500cc and less.   my V7 is the first 750cc I've owned.  PC800 biggest biggest bike I've owned.  Been very satisfied.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »
People used to put intergalactic mileage touring on Windjammer, Bates, or Krauser equipped:

1) CB-500s

2) Suzuki Titans

3) BMW R50s

and similar bikes.   Of course, to some folks, this would be just as impossible as leaving the yard without a telephone and a GPS, so maybe that was all just urban legend, looking back from the lofty heights of the 21st Century ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 06:59:07 PM »
I was one who had a CB500 with a windjammer.  Good little bike.  During the windy seasons (40-50mph winds) it was a handful.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 07:01:57 PM »
C2C, if we knew what you have ridden prior and your size, then we could recommend bikes that might fit your requirements.  As far as "touring", in the 60's my 1st bike was a 250 Yamaha twin; then a RD350 Yamaha twin; then a 650 Yamaha twin; then a `81 CX100 950 Guzzi twin; then a VX800 Suzuki twin; then a Piaggio 400 MP3 maxi-scooter; then a MuZ 660 single; then a`77 Guzzi 1000 Convert. semi-automatic that now is too heavy(600#) for me.  I put in 400-500miles days and have toured all across the USA.  Right now my best tourer is the MP3 or Guzzi `04 750 Breva twin which we have ridden 2up on long trips comfortably with it's original seat.    Any Guzzi made can carry Hepco-Becker saddlebags & top case or the factory setup if it's made.   I've also used Give bags/top case.  So anyone who says you need a 600# bike to tour is either a lot bigger than me or they don't know what they're talkin' about.   Heck I know a small biker who rides from Oregon to Baja on his 200 single!  Whatever you get make sure it has a centerstand.  :azn:  Many new bikes don't nowadays.  My 750 Breva didn't but they were available from the factory.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:13:00 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »
Hmmmm.............. . What you plan on needing to cover daily and what kind of pilot you are will dictate on this one.

In the Guzzi line up right now.
I have owned and put on around 20,000 K on a 2014 Cali with bags and full shield..... spectacular heavy weight ( 500 a day machine no issues )definitely does not show its weight compared to others out there that are lighter on the scale....  only down sides are fuel range and not a Sport Tour package if that's what your after in the end.
Own and presently showing 18,000 K on the 2014 Norge......... pretty much all you need to tour comfortably in my opinion... It is light on its feet/ goes like H--l and has tremendous fuel range...... an absolute beauty to ride fast or at a leisurely pace for 500 a day ...on and on.

PS.   any of those lighter creatures.......... .... your going to be using up your carrying capacity on pain killers and ointment after any of the miles per day the above can knock off.
     Just my experiences is all.      Unless of course your in your twenties   :laugh:

Ciao

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »
cee2cee, I have a Stelvio and a V7.  The Stelvio is a Big Girl (but she can dance!) and the V7 is a delightful bike for shorter to medium rides.  What do I mean?  Well, the Stelvio was just about perfect for a trip from coast to coast last July.  That was 3 weeks and 7500 miles.  Hauling ass or just doing the speed limit, no problem.  Mountains...who cares.  Carrying a bunch of camping junk...not an issue.  I was riding in style.  A year ago I went to the Ohio rally on the V7.  That was 700 miles each way.  The V7 took it in stride.  I could not carry as much junk or pass with impunity but never thought that the bike was severely under powered.  The V7 was not as comfortable as the Stelvio for 7-8 hours at a time.  Now, what did I do to make the bikes fit?  The Stelvio has a RDL seat.  On the V7 I had to upgrade the suspension plus get a custom seat...and hard bags.  I guess what I am saying is that either is a great option depending on how you are going to tour.  If you are talking about 300 mile days staying in motels...V7 is a good way to go.  If you want to go longer miles and carry more stuff I'd recommend a larger bike.  You can tour on anything.  Guys have gone around the world on 125cc bikes, I do not want to try that.  On the other hand, I really like an upright riding position so that would be a big deal were I looking today.  Brand is less important than how the bike fits you.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
Oh brother, here we go again.

I think a big part of the problem here is that people define "touring" so differently.

Is it traveling long distance on highways or shorter distance on backroads and seeing the sights?

Is it ultra long days riding non-stop or shorter days with lots of stops?

Is it minimalist or do you take the kitchen sink?

Is it solo or 2-up?

Are you (and your passenger if you have one) 100#'s each or 200's each?

Just think of that last one, two people that are 100# each weigh HALF of a V7, but two people who weigh 200# each weigh nearly as much as a V7!

Both couples wouldn't be equally comfortable.

I am looking for some opinions based on either your own experience owning the bikes or just your obsession with knowing all there is about the new lineup of MG.  I am considering buying a new Guzzi for some multi-state touring BUT I am not interested in the 600lb+ beasts in the lineup, like the Norge or Stelvio and I definitely am not a 'bagger' kind of rider.  So, is there any one of the V7 or V9 lineup that stands out as the one that would come closest to being a good all around tourer, with the proper equipment?  Or are they all about the same...I just don't know all the differences and nuances that may be offered by Guzzi.

Of bikes that were touring oriented I've owned:

HD RK (crossed the country with it both 2-up and solo)

BMW R1100RS

Guzzi Breva 1100

Guzzi California Jackal 1100

But my current fleet includes 2 bikes that I "tour" on:

HD Sportster 1200
Guzzi V7 Stone

I don't even bother trying to ride the V7 2-up, at about 225# I'm more than enough load for it and there's not enough room for my comfort if there's a passenger.

I also don't particularly like the V7 on the highway, though it doesn't have any problems with it.

For me the nearly 600# Harley Sportster is a much better highway bike (and 2-up bike), and in that sense reminds me of the similar size/weight R1100, Breva 1100, Jackal 1100, and hell, to some extent the Harley RK.

People aren't lying when they say that weight, cubic inches, and size are your friends ON THE HIGHWAY.

If I'm rolling highway for hours on end there's no comparison, I'm taking the Sporty.

If I'm rolling backroads for hours on end the V7 is just as good and sometimes better.

Now with regards to the V7/V9 line, if you're still thinking they fit YOUR intended definition of touring then my advice is:

1. Pick the one with the riding position you prefer:

V7 Racer - rear sets
V7 Special/Stone - controls just about under you.
V9 Bobber/Roamer - controls just in front of you

2. If range is a priority the V7 has an edge, but the tank from the V7 could be placed on the V9.

3. If a little more power is a priority the V9 has the edge.

I completely get "touring" on any of them, at least solo, or maybe 2-up if you're a fraction of my size, or just nuts.

That said, bikes like my Breva 1100 would just EAT miles on the highway effortlessly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:44:41 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
I have 2 sport-touring bikes: a Norge and a BMW F800GT. Both are very capable tourers; I have taken each on trips exceeding 7,000 miles. I bought the F bike more recently in deference to my age; its getting harder for me to handle a heavy bike, and the F bike is about 100 pounds lighter than the Norge. However, when I take the F bike on a long trip, I often wish I had ridden the Norge instead, as it is more comfortable and more stable. True, it is easier for me to manage the BMW at parking lot speeds, to get it on the center stand, and to push around in the garage, etc, but for 95% of the time, the extra pounds of the Norge are not a problem.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »

Is it solo or 2-up?

Are you (and your passenger if you have one) 100#'s each or 200's each?

Just think of that last one, two people that are 100# each weigh HALF of a V7, but two people who weigh 200# each weigh nearly as much as a V7!

Those factors right there are the determinant for me.   Our touring is ALL two-up, so a bike that can carry a 475 pound payload, and let us stretch our legs, is what we like.   If it were just me, the range of acceptable transcontinental touring bikes would be all the way down to a nice 500 ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Yeah, the DL650 wee strom is close to a perfect little motorcycle. 

I can't really call a motorcycle smaller than a 1100 California, a touring bike.   But if you want a small bike that is comfortable, has good power and economy, and will run forever, even if it's a little boring, I'd go with the DL 650 or similar bike. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
I think Kev's point is well taken- decide where you will be in terms of roads as well as how much time you plan to be in the saddle.  I was on a trip last year in the mountains of New Mexico. Lots of up and down- twisty roads, some endless vistas on open highway. Did it on rental Triumph Bonnies- fabulous time.  I would've preferred a sixth/taller gear- but otherwise the handy size was a joy.

I was in Montana last June and rented a HD Road King.  Absolute pig. Hated it. It really was more than the embarassing image. That machine seemed to be weight just for the sake of it.  Having said that- the extra pounds of my 1200S are helpful on the slab. That thing is just planted and perfectly stable at speed. Much less perceivable bulk than it's Norge sister.  I guess my point is- don't lock yourself into the small blocks.  Some of the big block bikes are not a great burden and really do reap rewards.

I'd also mention that the Cali 1400 handles surprisingly well for its size. Not my riding position- but still an impressive machine.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline cee2cee

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
Why would someone want a touring bike without saddle bags?

I didn't say I did not want a bike without bags, whether they be panniers or saddlebags.  What I meant was a California or Audace or the other line up in that class are way too big and not my taste..I have just referred to them as 'bagger's and have heard others use that term as well.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here