Author Topic: What bike would you ride... Zen Route  (Read 14270 times)

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
Re: What bike would you ride... Zen Route
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Well the decision was made with the heart. My buddy was thinking of getting a Guzzi franchise 4 years ago and I fell in love at first sight with the Cali Touring. Sorry Pete😜 But unless we just don't get along, she's my dance partner. Shipping in from the left coast as we speak. I look forward to getting to know her and I really appreciate all the input. 'The heart wants what it wants' and 'be careful what you wish for ' both come to mind. I'm keeping the Duc for those days when > 400 lbs just won't do.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
You've been warned.  :smiley: :smiley: Hey! Have a great trip and give us a report.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »
Well the decision was made with the heart. My buddy was thinking of getting a Guzzi franchise 4 years ago and I fell in love at first sight with the Cali Touring. Sorry Pete😜 But unless we just don't get along, she's my dance partner. Shipping in from the left coast as we speak. I look forward to getting to know her and I really appreciate all the input. 'The heart wants what it wants' and 'be careful what you wish for ' both come to mind. I'm keeping the Duc for those days when > 400 lbs just won't do.

Well, you know all the worst of it.   Pete's given you some data .... although "Characterless" is VERY subjective, you may think that the bike is just FULL of character.   

Weight - There's lots of posts praising the mighty HD Road King.   It weighs about (depending whose figures you read) 100 pounds more than a California 1400.   So maybe the weight won't be an issue for you.

No quick-disconnect luggage - This WOULD be a PITRA for Fay and I.  We really like being to take the luggage off the Stelvio or the Trophy and take it into the motel with us.    We had a local seamstress make some nice inserts for the Stelvio bags since the TRAX bags don't have handles - maybe something similar could be done for you, OR just keep a good-fitting carry-on bag in each side .....

Good luck!!   As I was riding Pete's Cali 1400 down the Colorado highway and back, I felt like I was sitting still and the earth was turning under me.   It DOES have its good points!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »
YOU make the memories, the bike doesn't. It'll make bugger all difference what you're on, it will just alter the "flavour" of the trip. (BTW, should'a got a 2 VPC Norge.) :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
YOU make the memories, the bike doesn't. It'll make bugger all difference what you're on, it will just alter the "flavour" of the trip. (BTW, should'a got a 2 VPC Norge.) :thumb:

So like rhubarb VS rutabaga ?

Any bike that will get the job done will get the job done .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »
The man is still alive , heck , ask him  :thumb:

Dusty
Too late now, he passed away a few weeks back, made me pull out the book and read it again, it's a struggle.
His son is not around either.

I'm sure he would approve of a Guzzi, he was all about quality after all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:57:07 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
Too late now, he passed away a few weeks back, made me pull out the book and read it again, it's a struggle.
His son is not around either.

I'm sure he would approve of a Guzzi, he was all about quality after all.

Yeah , but my post was from Feb when Bob was still with us . Chris was killed in about 1985 .

I've wondered about what Bob would ride in his later years , he didn't mind doing a bit of fetteling

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:54 AM »
Ha ha, I've made mistakes buying bikes before... But never I think when I followed my heart instead of my head.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Lannis, more like only 50# at most IIRC, I'll check my figures when I hit my desk.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
I would take my Eldorado if I was planning on duplicating that ride. Dead reliable, in the spirit of the thing, and completely capable of crossing the country at 45-50mph, which is probably what Pirsig managed with that 305, two-up with gear.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Northern Bill

• Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
This question can be answered in at least two ways.  The best touring bike for you or the best bike to recreate the spirit of the journey. Either answer will be interesting but the latter seems more thought provoking so I will try at the latter. Clearly the bike chosen would have to be small with a fairly low cruising speed or old enough that the cruising speed would still be slow.  To take a newer touring or adventure bike would not be in the spirit of things.  For me, being mechanically challenged,  a Yamaha XT250 with an aftermarket seat might be the ticket.

A couple of years ago a fellow in the local vintage club rode a Honda 50 passport from coast to coast. That was one journey I would not want to duplicate!
1973 Triumph Adventurer Cafe Racer
1975 T3/Le Mans replica
1987 Honda CBX250 Track Bike
1989 Honda GB500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
Lannis, more like only 50# at most IIRC, I'll check my figures when I hit my desk.

Could be, I just looked up several sources for "wet" or "curb" weight and averaged them.

Manufacturers will lie about that stuff like an aging movie star will lie about her age ..... !

Lannis

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

Lannis, let me correct myself, holy crap you're right.

How the hell did the Audace lose nearly 100# from the Cali 1400T?

That puts the Audace at more than 150# lighter than the RK!

Honestly if that's true that should make it a very interesting possible alternative to anyone who is comparing an RK and Cali 1400 and is looking for minimal weight. I realize you'd add some of it back with bags and a shield, but still.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:57:01 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
Lannis, let me correct myself, holy crap you're right.

How the hell did the Audace lose nearly 100# from the Cali 1400T?

That puts the Audace at more than 150# lighter than the RK!

Honestly if that's true that should make it a very interesting possible alternative to anyone who is comparing an RK and Cali 1400 and is looking for minimal weight. I realize you'd add some of it back with bags and a shield, but still.

I'm getting more sensitive to motorcycle weight as time marches on.   I own the two heaviest motorcycles I'll ever own again right now .... the '09 Stelvio at about 560 wet (4.9 gallon tank) and the '14 Triumph Trophy at 660 pounds wet (7 gallon tank).

They're wonderful at speed on the road, but horsing them around the shop or onto the lift, pulling into a gravel parking lot, pushing them through iffy footing, or stopping on a dodgy shoulder is a butt-clenching experience which I will not duplicate in the future.

I've got 'em because Fay and I have a lot of two-up riding planned in the next few years, and these are both good-fitting luxury liners for us - we just don't do well on the HD/Gold Wing "standard touring" bikes, we fit much better on a sport-touring sort of thing, we're just angled that way; forward instead of backward.

In the 70s and 80s, Fay and I did a lot of riding together on an RD400 Yamaha and an R65 BMW.   You can't scream down the interstate at 85 MPH two up on those, but then again we won't need to ... there's no reason that a 40 HP 425 pound bike can't do every single thing we want to do .... and do it WAY cheaper and easier overall than a Big Bike !

Lannis
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:20:24 AM by Lannis »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
The 'zen' is not about what your ride or where you ride but rather about your state of mind. If ya got a schedule and a planned route, well, you're not going to achieve the 'zen'.

I've been across country many times, the best trips where those without schedule of specific destination, none were better then the trip on a Vespa 300 in 2012. Purchased it in Las Vegas, road to  L. A. to play in the canyons for a few days, then to San Diego for the 600 service, PCH, Yosemite, Mesa Az., Luckenbach/Austin Tx., then home to Florida. 28 days, 5+K miles, ate when hungry, slept when tired, rode only when I wanted, stayed over when I felt like I wanted to explore locally or to ride with folks I met along the way, made new friends, picked my way around local roads with no daily plan. Did a similar trip last year for 6 weeks, my only 'plan' was to visit a friend in Coeur d'Alene Idaho.

The new rider says lets go here or there, the old timers say 'lets ride'!!!

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

oldbike54

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
 Paul , that is the concept at work here . The trip was done in 1967 or '68 , guessing if Bob had made the trip in 2000 he would have done so on a 1997 model of something .

Dusty

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
Paul, I understand 'just riding'. This one is an exercise in symbolism for him. My buddy is retiring and is a big fan of Pirsig. This is a ride he has wanted to do for a while. He has sold his Bimmers and Ducs and is riding a Victory and a Triumph now. He's taking the Victory on this one. I could do this on my Duc, or any bike, but wanted a like bike, that I liked. 🤓 As usual, there's a destination, but it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Picking a bike was to balance the wants, needs and the crucial, 'other' factors. This is my first Guzzi. I think for a trip around the perimeter, and a destination in Sa Fran, the  Cali is a decent pick for the journey. I have enjoyed the search.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »
There'd be no point asking THE MAN, anyway. You're looking for something on your horizon not his. It's a fairly decent chunk of jingoistic crap all this "zen" stuff. I'd wager there'd be few of us here that could give a passable explanation of what it actually is anyway, simply because it's different things to different people, so you go looking for yourself. I've kind of lost the thread of where you're up to in your planning, just get on the bike and GO !! Oh, and as for re creating rides, last year I thought I'd do the Uppsala run that the Ghost Rider did. 70 km in under 15 mins, I took 40... Should have kept the mystique and not spoiled the dream by turning it into reality.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:23:15 AM by Huzo »

Offline G5

• New Egg
    • MotoGuzziGuy
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 03:29:19 AM »
You might be interested in Mark Richardson: Zen and Now: On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
"Whenever possible, I plan to stick to the same route and the same rest stops and see how much remains. Pirsig was sometimes vague about names but always precise in description, so I expect to find the way. He left in July, and today's July 18; the journey should take two weeks, ending in San Francisco on my birthday ... I'm not the first to travel this road and sure won't be the last, but all that really matters right now, as the heat bears down and the landscape begins to flatten, is that the front tire stays true to the west. The rest will follow."
Used copies are available on bookfinder.com
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
2017 Royal Enfield 500

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here