Author Topic: Carbed EV  (Read 897 times)

Offline AZach

• New Egg
Carbed EV
« on: November 01, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »
I've got a 98 EV basket case that I want to turn into something sportier than its current state, also I figured since I got it so cheap I'd mess around and experiment with it too. I had heard there was at least one other person that has taken an EV and thrown carbs on it. I'm just trying to find any information on how that was gone about, what needed to be changed and what all can be eliminated, as well as carb size and recipe. 
The biggest reason I'd like to try and go carb is I'm switching to an older tank with manual petcocks and I'd like to eliminate the regulator and all the pump nonsense.

Thanks for the info in advance!
and yes I am aware I might be a bit off my rocker for wanting to ditch the fuel injection but where's the fun in making things easy  :grin:
Austin
Indiana Rep

'81 V1000 G5
'86 LeMans IV "200k Flood bike"
'91 CalMans "big valve Cal turned Mk4
'98 EV
'03 Cal Aluminum "mostly parts bike"
'79 Yamaha XS750 Tripple
'94 KLR650 aka "KLR from Hell"

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Carbed EV
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
I like the idea of dropping the FI. There is a manual petcock for FI tanks, but just on/off.
The on/off/reserve on my 95 1100 sport "looks" like it would fit, but I'm not sure.
Anyone know?
I remember someone going to carbs., but it was awhile ago.
Maybe someone will recall.

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
  JB carbed his. I have met several people who have carbed their F.I. big blocks, but most of them are not on this board.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:49:05 PM by wavedog »

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
I put an older Le Mans tank on mine but left the FI.  I rather LIKE FI - no fiddling with carbs, they are smaller, fueling is spot on and I get good mileage.
The petcock threads should be the same- I simply moved the (manual) petcock and the pressure return valve from the Cali gas tank to the Le Mans.  I put a little teflon on the threads and a new gasket.  Doesn't leak.  Here you can see the pressure return under the tank.  The hose into the pump is bigger than the normal 6 mm hose, so make sure the petcock is set up for that. 
No, I don't have a reserve.  I check the fuel level every 100-150 miles or so.  I haven't been riding it long enough to give you confident range. 

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:28:28 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
I put an EV motor in my 93 SPIII. Used the original 36mm carbs and reusd the Digiplex ignition.  Hsd to use the old flywheel to get the spark to work.  Otherwise I think you have to retain the computer module for the EV to provide ignition?
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
You could machine the case for a dizzy or better still put a crank mounted ignition system like the sachse or Silent hecktik...seems a bit pointless ( !) though

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
Can be done.  Curtis at Harpers traded all the carb stuff for all FI stuff to Ray when he was alive on Kauai.  Ray wanted his '97 Cal 1100i to be a '97 Cal 1100. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline AZach

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »
I put an older Le Mans tank on mine but left the FI.  I rather LIKE FI - no fiddling with carbs, they are smaller, fueling is spot on and I get good mileage.
The petcock threads should be the same- I simply moved the (manual) petcock and the pressure return valve from the Cali gas tank to the Le Mans.  I put a little teflon on the threads and a new gasket.  Doesn't leak.  Here you can see the pressure return under the tank.  The hose into the pump is bigger than the normal 6 mm hose, so make sure the petcock is set up for that. 
No, I don't have a reserve.  I check the fuel level every 100-150 miles or so.  I haven't been riding it long enough to give you confident range. 

If you add a photo it doesn't seem to have shown up for me at least. I would like to see what you had done, I am planning on using a similar style tank and probably seat as well. So if you were able to get it to work easy enough with the old tank I may leave it for the time being till I want to and have time to fiddle with the carb setup.
Austin
Indiana Rep

'81 V1000 G5
'86 LeMans IV "200k Flood bike"
'91 CalMans "big valve Cal turned Mk4
'98 EV
'03 Cal Aluminum "mostly parts bike"
'79 Yamaha XS750 Tripple
'94 KLR650 aka "KLR from Hell"

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
Sorry Austin- I thought I added one.  I edited my post...and now the picture looks HUGE.  Uh, sorry.
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 07:46:48 PM »
The guys at MGCycle have done it and probably can sell you what you need.

Offline Gappy

• New Egg
  • StLouis MO
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 07:39:25 PM »

dice roll generator
   The heads are milled 30 thousandths ported and flowed. The rocker springs have been replaced with thrust bearings and shims and the rocker bushings have been replaced with caged needle bearings. I have put a mega cycle cam with a web 86a grind in it and removed the OEM ignition and dropped a 850 distributor with a Dina electronic ignition in it. The timing chain was replaced with timing gears and a heavy duty clutch was put in it. It ha 36 mm carbs on it, balanced and tuned. Believe me it is fast. So modifying your EV is not so crazy in my opinion. It is just that speed and performance cost money. Ya I am upside down on this bike but I did not do the performance upgrades to sell it.
2003 Suzuki burgman an650
1994 Moto Guzzi California 1100
1992 BMW k75s
1983 Harley Davidson FLHT
1981 BMW r100rt
1981 Honda 650/4

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here