Author Topic: Check Your Nuts  (Read 776 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Check Your Nuts
« on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:51 AM »
We all check the tire pressure on our bikes.... and give them the general "once-over".

But, how many check the lug nuts on their 4-wheeled conveyances ?

This is #8 and #9 that I've picked up off the road - in just this past week, and all in the local area.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Check Your Nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 06:47:47 AM »
I haven't checked lugnut torque, etc. in years.  The vehicle & tire manufacturers recommendations for tire rotation on my vehicles is at least once per year based on my annual mileage.  The road hazard warranty I bought for $10/tire includes free balancing & rotation every 5k miles so I haven't done anything with lugnuts in years (except for my Wing w/single sided swing arm & 5 lugnuts)

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 06:49:10 AM »
I haven't checked lugnut torque, etc. in years.  The vehicle & tire manufacturers recommendations for tire rotation on my vehicles is at least once per year based on my annual mileage.  The road hazard warranty I bought for $10/tire includes free balancing & rotation every 5k miles so I haven't done anything with lugnuts in years (except for my Wing w/single sided swing arm & 5 lugnuts)

Art

Yes, but don't you ever walk around your vehicle and look to make sure that you have all of your lug nuts?

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:54:46 AM »
Had that happen to us last summer. Two lugs sheared also. Also the first time I had the rear wheel off the Norge I just put it back on w/o a torque wrench. Also came loose on me.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:54:46 AM »

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 07:02:54 AM »
Yes, but don't you ever walk around your vehicle and look to make sure that you have all of your lug nuts?

Sadly, no.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »
On my cars no but I should.  On the trailer I check them and grease the bearings before each trip.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

guido guzzi

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »
I do check them after every tire rotation having lost one on my personal car and one on my employer's Pro Master van.  :shocked:

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 10:13:23 AM »
Had a tire repaired in February.

Counter guy:  OK, you're all done, and your truck is parked right outside.
Me:  Great.  Why is that one wheel leaning?

They forgot to reinstall the lug nuts.  I cannot understand why it didn't just fall off when they moved it.  It was close, though.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 03:09:07 PM »
Had a tire repaired in February.

Counter guy:  OK, you're all done, and your truck is parked right outside.
Me:  Great.  Why is that one wheel leaning?

They forgot to reinstall the lug nuts.  I cannot understand why it didn't just fall off when they moved it.  It was close, though.

I saw a wheel head out in front of me and toward the ditch after a tire rotation. (!) It's hard to find good help any more..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 06:21:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

But. seriously where is Huzo when you need him  :evil: :evil:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 06:26:49 AM »
I saw a wheel head out in front of me and toward the ditch after a tire rotation. (!) It's hard to find good help any more..

I guess I've been lucky! 
I've noticed that the Discount Tire place I go to has a different assosciate torque wheels after they're installed,  I assume the Torque Guy is tightening to the correct value. :laugh:

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 03:54:34 PM »
I guess I've been lucky! 
I've noticed that the Discount Tire place I go to has a different assosciate torque wheels after they're installed,  I assume the Torque Guy is tightening to the correct value. :laugh:

Not if it's the guy at my local tire shop. Had to use a 2 ft pipe on my 2 ft breaker bar to get them loose. I always check after anyone takes a wheel off. If I had a flat I never would have gotten the wheel off with the tire change tools.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 09:27:27 PM »
Those lug nuts look like the horrible type Ford uses on the F-150, the 7/8” steel nut has that stainless ‘cap’ over it, 21mm.
I changed out break pads and rotors on my Son’s 2017 F-150 a couple weeks back. Ford spec for a F-150 is 140 foot pounds toro on the lug nuts. When removing the nut the cap deforms and is very hard to get out of the socket. I bought all new solid steel lug nuts and threw out the crap Ford units. One nut was so tight it stripped on the wheel stud, it took me 2 hours to center drill and die grind off that last miserable nut and then had to get a new wheel stud

I think many people don’t realize how high the torque setting is on these lug nuts. The F-300 is 165 foot pounds torque!!!
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »
Not if it's the guy at my local tire shop. Had to use a 2 ft pipe on my 2 ft breaker bar to get them loose. I always check after anyone takes a wheel off. If I had a flat I never would have gotten the wheel off with the tire change tools.

I had a similar experience at my local Discount Tire store last year.

When I wanted to check my brakes afterward, I had to use a 2' cross wrench, a jack stand, a 4' steel tube, and my 220 pounds to loosen one lug on each wheel on my car.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:36:57 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 11:15:59 PM »
  Of course those lovely stainless caps are to meet our metric standards in The Great White North  :evil:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 06:34:55 PM »
All right ,some ones gotta take the bait .  Fortunately here it is part of the mandatory annual inspection to have your nuts inspected by a certified professional inspector  . Apparently, there has been too many cases of loose nuts falling into the wrong hands.   Once certified your nuts are swiped with a dab of yellow paint which indicates they have been properly inspected and certified in the nut registry. So far all my nuts have passed the protocol but sadly the yellow paint does not wash off.     :laugh:   

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 07:40:41 AM »
Those lug nuts look like the horrible type Ford uses on the F-150, the 7/8” steel nut has that stainless ‘cap’ over it, 21mm.
I changed out break pads and rotors on my Son’s 2017 F-150 a couple weeks back. Ford spec for a F-150 is 140 foot pounds toro on the lug nuts. When removing the nut the cap deforms and is very hard to get out of the socket. I bought all new solid steel lug nuts and threw out the crap Ford units. One nut was so tight it stripped on the wheel stud, it took me 2 hours to center drill and die grind off that last miserable nut and then had to get a new wheel stud

I think many people don’t realize how high the torque setting is on these lug nuts. The F-300 is 165 foot pounds torque!!!

My sil brought over his 2012 F150 for a brake job in 2019 after the dealer told him the truck needed brakes.  I ran into the same problem getting a few of the lugnuts off but after having no success in getting a few nuts loose with a 5' cheater I gave up and told the kid to take it back to the dealer that rotated the tires with his "discount" oil change.  The dealer replaced all the lugnuts free of charge and apologized for the tech that over torqued them.

Yeah, the torque is high on some of these trucks but 140 lb/ft seems about right.  Our 1 ton pick-up it was something like 175 but I never had a problem getting the nuts loose for tire rotation or brakes. 

Art

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 07:46:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

But. seriously where is Huzo when you need him  :evil: :evil:

Tom

Probably checking his nuts!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 07:58:51 AM »

I quit going to the local tire shop after buying a set of tires and finding out that it took a four foot length of pipe on a two foot breaker bar to remove a lug nut.  I went to the tire shop and told the manager the lug nuts were overtightened.  He said "that's not possible all my guys use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts."  I handed him the lug wrench and pointed to my vehicle and said "Proove it!" He refused to take the  wrench.  At which point him had one of his employees remove all the lug nuts and re-torque them.

Personally I've never used a torque wrench on lug nuts and never had a problem.  But growing up in the Rust Belt, Never-Seize is always applied to the threads.

I had a friend who is a pretty good mechanic and he lost a wheel on his 3/4 ton truck a couple miles from his house.   We were both dumbfounded.  8 lug nuts coming loose, falling off and he never felt the wheel wobble!  It's a strange universe out there.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:05:59 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here