General Category > General Discussion

Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts

<< < (3/5) > >>

Groover:
I'd stick with the original type. I thought stainless was the answer, then I reverted everything back after I had a few cases of galling using SS. Happens with SS, especially in high torque areas. Low torque, maybe it's ok to use.

Just wanted to mention.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/thread-galling.aspx

dxhall:
Not sure I understand the need for high strength bolts in this application.  These aren’t rod bolts, which are subject to tensile loads - they’re rotor bolts, which are only loaded in shear.  Maybe our engineers can weigh in on this.  Wouldn’t any bolt work in this application so long as it didn’t come loose?

John A:
 To get past the galling issue,I use antisneeze on them with schnoor washers and use the correct torque. I check them at tire changes and never have found a loose one in hundreds of thousands of miles. If I was a manufacturer and had to ensure they would never come loose and never be checked during the life of the disc or risk a strong liability lawsuit by someone who has trouble operating a paper clip, I’d lock tite them. I’ve had loctited rotor bolts pull threads even heated for removal. If I’m doing the work for someone else I’ll locktite them as well but for myself I prefer to use the antisneeze method if I have the choice but I recommend anyone else to use new factory fasteners and their retention methods.

jwinwi:

--- Quote from: John A on January 19, 2022, 09:27:11 AM --- To get past the galling issue,I use antisneeze on them with schnoor washers and use the correct torque. I check them at tire changes and never have found a loose one in hundreds of thousands of miles. If I was a manufacturer and had to ensure they would never come loose and never be checked during the life of the disc or risk a strong liability lawsuit by someone who has trouble operating a paper clip, I’d lock tite them. I’ve had loctited rotor bolts pull threads even heated for removal. If I’m doing the work for someone else I’ll locktite them as well but for myself I prefer to use the antisneeze method if I have the choice but I recommend anyone else to use new factory fasteners and their retention methods.

--- End quote ---

John,
Isn't Loctite *supposed* to prevent galling since, in theory, it eliminates metal to metal contact? Not doubting your experience, just surprised it's never happened to me.  :laugh:

John A:

--- Quote from: jwinwi on January 19, 2022, 12:39:53 PM ---John,
Isn't Loctite *supposed* to prevent galling since, in theory, it eliminates metal to metal contact? Not doubting your experience, just surprised it's never happened to me.  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

Add a little corrosion next time and maybe you too can enjoy installing a thread insert in your favorite wheel  :evil:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version