General Category > General Discussion

Breva 750 Pinging

(1/4) > >>

Hugh Straub:
My 2007 Breva pings on hard acceleration.  The pinging apparently comes from the left cylinder only.  Because of my concern with plastic tank issues, I run 91 octane, no ethanol fuel.  Is the ping a mapping issue or an octane issue or both.  Non Ethanol gas in New Orleans is unbranded so I don't have a lot of confidence in purported octane ratings at independent stations.

I look forward to your views.

Doppelgaenger:
I have had the Breva 1100 ping on the left cylinder only as well. Does yours happen only when the engine is properly hot? Being in New Orleans I imagine that the heat problem is more pronounced.

I seem to have mostly gotten rid of the problem by using Chevron fuel which is 92 octane up here in washinton state vs all other stations that only stock 91. It still pings here and there, I've just learned not to flog the engine when it's been sitting for a while. Ethanol does act as a octane booster so you might try switching to a higher quality ethanol gas. A fuel tank is going to be a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a blown engine.

I know that the fuel map can be updated for the Breva 1100 by Todd at Guzzitech and it will eliminate the issue. There are a few other solutions as well, but I don't know how many of them apply to the 750 since I don't know the small block engine. I don't know of a ECU reflash for the 750, but Mischa at Moto International told me that he could fix the problem at the dealership, he just didn't want to because it'll rob a bit of power if he does it, so your dealership may be able to help. You could also get it dyno tuned.

mwrenn:
How long has it been doing it?  Is this a recent issue that just started?  Just thinking about plugged injectors, fuel filter obstructions, spark plug gaps etc...starting with the easy stuff you know. To answer your question, yes,  it could be a mapping issue, or too low octane gas. I have a spare ECU if you want to borrow it and plug it in.  It has a the stock map loaded for an 07 Breva 750.

Muzz:
Is it an 1100 or a 750?

oldbike54:

--- Quote from: Muzz on March 15, 2015, 11:23:40 PM ---Is it an 1100 or a 750?

--- End quote ---

Muzz , it is a 750 , maybe the Thunder win today has you a bit fuzzy  ;D

Dusty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version