Author Topic: Norge tool kit for big trip?  (Read 927 times)

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Norge tool kit for big trip?
« on: April 28, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »
Besides the stock tool kit for an 08 Norge, what additional tools/supplies would you bring? So far I've got oil, a crescent wrench, an alternator belt and Fix-a-flat. Space is limited since I'll have camping gear.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
Re: Norge tool kit for big trip?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »
1/4 inch ratchet with wide variety of hex attachments
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Besides the stock tool kit for an 08 Norge, what additional tools/supplies would you bring? So far I've got oil, a crescent wrench, an alternator belt and Fix-a-flat. Space is limited since I'll have camping gear.
A cheap multimeter or at least a test lamp in case you have to probe for Voltage. I always take my Spot to let those at home know where I am, 2 Spots from the same place means I'm camping there for the night.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »
I'd get a tire plug kit like a "Stop and Go" and a Slime air pump.  Make sure you've rigged an electrical outlet for the the pump.   Then enough packable hand tools to perform common maintenance items. plus a multi tool.  Spare fuses and an extra relay, an extra headlight bulb, perhaps a taillight bulb unless it's a common one available at the car parts store (like my Guzzis).  I wouldn't bother packing Fix a Flat, it takes up room for more important stuff. 

Make sure you have a tank bag.  Some nav stuff, phone or maps.  Tylenol, water bottle, sunblock, Carmex.   Proper safety and rain gear.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:17:52 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
I'd get a tire plug kit like a "Stop and Go" and a Slime air pump.  Make sure you've rigged an electrical outlet for the the pump.   Then enough packable hand tools to common maientence items.  A multi tool.  Spare fuses and an extra relay, an extra headlight bulb, perhaps a taillight bulb unless it's a common one available at the car parts store (like my Guzzis).  I wouldn't bother packing Fix a Flat, it takes up room for more important stuff. 

Make sure you have tank bag.  Some nav stuff on phone or map.

I second that, you definitely need to be able to plug a tire out on a trip.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:24:39 PM »
It’s a beaut thread.
Make sure you have an Allen key for each size fastener and do remember the two small ones at the front of the fairing just below the lights.

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »
When a group of us rode from Fl to Nova Scotia, I was on an 08 Norge with just over 10,000 miles on it.
I took a small portable tire pump, a plug kit, and a few electrical connectors along with a three foot long piece of 14ga wire.  I used the connectors, wire and tire plugs on my friends 09 Norge.  His bike stated blowing the starter fuse in Pa. on the way north, and he had a flat on the way back. I used my wire and connectors to fab a startus interruptus.  He had a flat on the rear tire which he did not replace prior to the trip.   Both of our bikes had valves adjusted and new outer plugs prior to the trip. I had new tires on my bike.  Neither bike burned or leaked any oil.  More than I can say for the three Harleys that were with us.  Two needed oil and the third needed a new front tire on the way up and it blew the drive belt which ruined the rear pulley on the way back.  Sold it to a dealer in Harrisburg, Pa. and flew home.
Bottom line, go over the bike top to bottom, end to end.  Install new tires, oil filter and a tune up will greatly reduce your chances of needing anything other than a tire plug kit, tire pump, credit card and cell phone.
Where ya headed?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:49:11 PM by Thunderbutt »
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »

I also carry a spare set of valve cover gaskets (2008 Norge as well), spare set of outer spark plugs.  Small bag of tire plug kit, electric tire compressor that fits under the seat, a couple of screwdrivers, one hex wrench set.  Use to carry a spare alternator belt, but then changed that finally, so no longer carrying a spare.  They're good for almost 10 years...

Other than that I figure I could buy it along the way...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:47:43 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Tony F

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
Duct tape, electrical tape and a selection of cable ties.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »
Great stuff.  I recommend the valve cover gaskets, you won't find them on the road.  Even at a Guzzi "dealer".

Certainly tires, oil and tune up.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »
Lots of great feedback.

Highly recommend the stopngo plug kit with compressor, flashlight, first aid kit, multimeter and good tool kit. I usually put rideon sealer in the tires which helps with punctures.

A buddy turned me on to this kit from rrrtoolSolutions "Motorcycle Tools, Motorcycle Kit | Abbeville, AL" https://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com

Pricy, but very compact and useful.

I use it regularly, and fits anywhere.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
A few sockets as well, including the rear wheel one...I believe it's a 17mm from memory just in case.  They're all in the same small tool bag with the other items.  Zip ties (mentioned above also)...excellent idea.
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
Great stuff.  I recommend the valve cover gaskets, you won't find them on the road.  Even at a Guzzi "dealer".

Certainly tires, oil and tune up.
Get he dark green ones, I think they are Valpolini...
On my 2016 trip, I was in Italy and had my oil changed as usual at Agostini’s. I had a very mild weep from the right hand cover but did not want to start pulling it down while away....(I was 200 metres from where it was built... :rolleyes:), but I got a few sets from upstairs.
Later that day I had parked up early at a camping and began to regret not doing the job while at Mandello, so with characteristic impulsive stupidity, decided to do it at the campsite.
The shagged one left a lot of crap on the head and I dismantled a disposable razor to clean the surface. I stole the pot scoured from the camp kitchen to clean the cover and whacked the new one on dry...
It’s still there after being removed 5 times...!

Offline JL Rich

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Credit card and a bottle of Knob Creek Bourbon in case you bump into Bill Hagan in N. Virginia.

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »
Credit card and a bottle of Knob Creek Bourbon in case you bump into Bill Hagan in N. Virginia.

:grin: :grin:

bobrebos

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »
again....if you need any help while in my general area, i have a place to stay, truck/trailer, tools etc.  Have a great trip!

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »
I mean no disrespect but what is your mechanical ability and how do you work under pressure. Tinkering in you garage is one thing diagnosing and fixing problems in the middle night in the rain along a busy freeway tends to separate the wheat from the chaff.

For most people the stock tool kit and a way and knowledge to plug and inflate a flat tire is more than enough.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
I mean no disrespect but what is your mechanical ability and how do you work under pressure. Tinkering in you garage is one thing diagnosing and fixing problems in the middle night in the rain along a busy freeway tends to separate the wheat from the chaff.

For most people the stock tool kit and a way and knowledge to plug and inflate a flat tire is more than enough.

I replaced a piston with the help of someone's shop on a trip, and have done a frame swap on an 05 Multistrada (not on the road :wink:). I agree with you.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
Li-poly jump box, they're small, you can use them to jump-start and you can use them to recharge cell phones and other things.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
TripleA towing card free 100 miles.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
Well...I’m sorry to see that 3 of us called for valve cover gaskets above... We must have jinxed him!  Glad all is well again!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 09:28:41 AM »
Whaaaaaaaaaatt??!!??  Is this yet another..."What's In Your Tool Bag" thread?!?  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

At a minimum...take all these + mobile phone and several credit cards!!  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :boozing: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:44:54 AM »
You better have some valve cover gaskets. 

Jus' sayin'    :wink:
John L 

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
You better have some valve cover gaskets. 

Jus' sayin'    :wink:

GOOD ONE!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :laugh: :laugh: :grin: :grin: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I had a high school buddy that built a beater HD Panhead chopper back in the day....It was gold, and looked liked this...with the ridiculous front end and pull back bars...only it was very ratty!!

He broke down in rural Georgia on a road trip back in the day, and he repaired a blown head gasket with a piece of shirt cardboard he found in a ditch!!! :rolleyes: :huh: 

It got him to the nearest service station...(just sayin'...) :laugh: :grin: :wink:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:56:06 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 01:39:42 PM »
50,000 plus miles in 4 years on my Norge. One leaking valve cover gasket. Stopped and got some sealer from an auto parts store. Had one rear tire puncture. Used the plug kit I had while another guy went and got a can of slime. Went to station to fill with correct amount of air. I take Allen wrenches, black tape, plug socket, open end wrenches, adjustable wrench and feeler gauges. I leave pretty confident that it is as mechanically sound as possible. Oh and a socket for the rear wheel lugs with handle for it. I have never removed a plug or had to adjust valves on a trip so real close to leaving that stuff at home too. I ride with a guy that has more tools then clothes I think. He rides Harley though.... if I think the break pads or alternator belt might go, I just change them before the trip and don’t worry about it on the road.

danh tieng viet online
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:41:36 PM by cappisj1 »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here