Author Topic: Best memories of 2014  (Read 9650 times)

oldbike54

Best memories of 2014
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
 Tell us your best memories of 2014 .

Mine were mostly centered around NARs , Cedar Vale , Luap's deal , David and Colleen Welch's Arkansas camp out , the Okie C.O. . Not forgetting the great weekend spent at Delrod's place in Pittsburg KS .

1 CV , the folks who made the trek from as far away as California , made our gathering in the wilds of S.E. Kansas so wonderful . Even 'Truck had a good time , despite a minor crash .  Cricket the rally dog seemed to enjoy it  ;-T
2,Luap"s deal was grand , even the band was fun . Nice visit with Steve Walker and Chett R .
3 Arkansas C.O. David and Colleen did a stellar job with this , really fun , the food was incredible . Thanks to Delrod for letting me stop 3 times in the last 45 miles as I was falling asleep on my bike .
4 The Okie C.O. was a soggy wet mess , and yet no one complained . Thanks to GJ for the use of the dry tent . The boys from Ohio even had fun , despite being cooped up in the camp ground . Doug did an amazing job of getting every one fed .
5 Visit to Doug's in Pittsburg was enjoyable and his lovely wife fed us well . Thanks guys , the tour of town was grand .

The arrival of my new great niece , time spent with Jay in SS , and my long visit with Lowryter are right up there also .

Dusty

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Best memories of 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
As wet as things were, we had a great time. We visited several Guzzi friends along the way, both there and back. Rode a ferry across the Mississippi. Got a tour of Fayetteville Ar. and Springfield Mo. Dodged a lot of rain drops. Had a real nice visit with JN. Laughed a lot. 

It was a high point for the 2014 season! Thanks Dusty and everyone who put the time and effort into the gathering.  ;-T

John Henry

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
1) Riding the unpaved Swisha Road in Quebec on the Nuovo Falcone - 200+ kilometres of pure pleasure

2) Humming along the Trans-Taiga Road, Northern Quebec - perfect weather, good company, endless rocks, trees and lakes

3) The moment when I realized that the little filter at the carb was the reason the NF would only travel along the Chapleau Highway in 4 kilometre chunks.

4) Finally getting the new valves and guides installed in the NF and hearing it start first kick.

5) Many shorter solo rides with no traffic, nice scenery and interesting roads on older bikes which satisfy the spirit.

6) The satisfaction of riding up to the Ontario Guzzi Rally with Doug with both bikes (750S & 74 California) performing flawlessly

Nick

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
If I were to pick my single best ride time it would be the ride down to Daisy State Park to David Welch's rally near Hot Springs, Ar. About 90% of the trip was curves and hills. The ride home was good too, over Mt. Magizene with Delrod and through the Boston Mtns. in a steady shower in the rain gear. David and Colleen did a great job too.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »
My best memory was of the 3 week ride I took through the Rockies. Rode on some wonderful roads in northern NM, all over CO, and in southern WY. From 1972-1985 I lived in Albuquerque and rode MC's all over the western US. However, on this trip I managed to ride on roads that were totally new to me. Had a great time; plan to head out west (from Kentucky) again next summer.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
This September Ross and I did some riding around Northeastern Oregon, including Rattlesnake Canyon in SW Washington.

I was working in China when Ross left to visit his Mum in Alberta
Arriving home I saddled up and left

over the Cascades and down with a stop at Grand Coolie to make coffee and a snap of the dam, I have never seen it without water before.

Overnight along the way I couldn't find a campsite so pulled into an old West theme motel. Hard to tell this place looked like your standard 50s motel once.

Heading South I rode through a large volcanic area, I would not like to be around when this plug was formed

I met up with Ross in Lewiston Idaho, he was on his restored Kawasaki KZ100.  
Overnight at a campground in Leweston, we did the old wagon road a couple of times but Ross was not himself having witnessed a Harley rider die after a car clipped him into a rock wall a few days earlier.

The next day was probably one of the best days of riding ever had.  Cutting southeast through the corner of Washington is Rattlesnake Canyon.  Put it on your bucket list.
We left Lewiston early in the morning.  Leaving Lewiston the riding was pretty underwhelming but we rode with great anticipation.  Once we began the carving descent in Rattlesnake Canyon it was all worth it.  No cars and just carve, carve, carve!  When we reached the valley bottom we went back up and down again.  And the road up the other side was just the same, curve after curve.  After lunch in Joseph to view the bronze work

we headed south east on Route 39 to Lonesome Saddle Lookout at 5000ft, another 100 miles of curves.

I can't remember where this was, we camped nearby, an old gold mining area with a large dredge just down the road

Somewhere out of John Day I bit the dust after running into a deep rut on gravel breaking the screen and clutch lever.
We rode 30 odd miles into JD without a clutch and picked up a substitute at the Polaris dealer. There an old guy took pity on us inviting us to spend the night out on his ranch, turns out he owned the Polaris dealership, thanks Byron.
Next day I picked up a plastic sign at Ace HW to use as a temporary screen

No, it didn't work, not even one offer, wrong time of year perhaps  ???

The trip home was pretty un-eventful, dinner at Winthrop, camped beside the road and then back over the Cascades my favorite day trip.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:12:23 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
Cedarvale

Lunch Ride to Low Gap with GuzzistaJohn and Michael D

Horse Camping trip in New Mexico

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:46:57 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

lucydad

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
Wow wish we had scenery like that here.

Best ride of 2014 might be last May here on the Gulf Coast of TEXAS.  Sugar Land to Freeport, lunch at a sweet little seafood spot.  Then up the coast road, no traffic, blue skies, no wind with Mother Ocean on my right and the open prairie on my left.  Stopped at a beach park and walked down and watched the pelicans play the winds, fish and such and perform aerial formations.  Up to Galveston, stop for gas, then back on highway 6 home. 

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »
Thanks guys , for a while there it looked as though I was the only one with any good memories of 2014  :o :D

Dusty

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
This was fun: helo ride over Panama City Beach   

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »
ooh man,  what a year.

Bev retired, we're both free.  The youngest son got hired as an engineer.  The oldest is teaching.

I got to travel to Daytona Bike Week.  Rode to COTA Moto GP and met Austin Mike, Ozark RAT Rally, (got a birthday cake at) Cedarvale, and Springfield mile with Darren, Doug and John.

Traveled to Indy 500 and saw the best race ever.  Bev and I took a vacation in Colorado in July and the epic trip to New England and NYC in Oct.

Dusty did some great remodel for me.

And I have a work bench in my garage.   ;D

some highlights:

Daytona

COTA

Indy

Springfield

Vermont

New York
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:17:10 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »
The memory of having.... SHINGLES on the head for 7 weeks and not being able to tolerate wearing a helmet for weeks afterwards will never be forgotten.   :'(
The memory of visiting the Corvette plant/museum and driving home a souvenir will never be forgotten either.    ;D

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
I had a decent bit of good motorcycle memories for 2014, highlighted probably by me bringing home the new Stelvio in February.  Though me and the bike did not eventually pair, it was the first new bike I ever purchased and the experience of picking it up, bringing it home, and enjoying for the most part those early days, was really great.

As far as rides go, it was a year of short and local.  The one that mainly jumps out at me was taken just a month and a half ago.  Took the Striple up to the French Lick/West Baden area in Indiana.  Ridiculously fantastic roads up there with almost no traffic.  I spent the day being an idiot, maxing out the triple on some straights and no cars (I never max bikes out so that was neat but nothing I want to do again too soon), and moreso, finding some trails for my DR as pictured.    :BEER: Great day and it was only 70 or so miles away from home  ;-T

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Wife & I hiked to the Pulpit Rock in July. In wonderful weather, almost too hot, which is not supposed to possible in that part of the country. But rather hot than rainy!

I usually have one longer trip down on the continent every year, mainly Germany and Belgium. This year however, my riding buddy and I decided to go to the west part of Norway. We came close to the area I had visited some weeks earlier, but we did not have the opportunity to hike up to the rock this time. The roads and the views were just fantastic! We'll probably try to make a longer trip to the same parts this summer.
Below: Just somewhere along the way. These roads have to be ridden, photos and videos don't do them justice.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:20:39 PM by pebra »
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
Wife & I hiked to the Pulpit Rock in July. In wonderful weather, almost too hot, which is not supposed to possible in that part of the country. But rather hot than rainy!

;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
I'd have give top honors to the trip to the Springfield Mile with Delrod, Darren (biking sailor) and John L (lowrighter) That was a BLAST! Great guys to travel with and an awesome event! I will keep doing this trip every year till I'm too old to throw a leg over! I'd like to see more of us meet there for the races. It would be a great excuse for a N.A.R. aww hell, it IS a NAR!!

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
Well, I have no pictures to show, but my best memory is from September 5, when Dr. Schneider told me that there was no trace of cancer left in my bladder. I think I floated out of his office. ;D
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »
Well, I have no pictures to show, but my best memory is from September 5, when Dr. Schneider told me that there was no trace of cancer left in my bladder. I think I floated out of his office. ;D

I'd say that's the best one yet! ;-T Happy for you Crust!

Offline QCGoose

• Gaggle Hero
  • Chris McFate
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 09:38:51 PM »
Many great memories last year, but the greatest was the birth of our son, Carson Lawrence, on August 6th.

Born 4 weeks early, but he's healthy as an ox.

Coincidentally, my oldest sister was also pregnant with their third child the same time we were with our first, and gave birth to Caleb Dean, their second son, on August 8th, only 43 hours after our son Carson. Here they are together with Grandma a couple weeks ago (Caleb on left, Carson on right):

Carson and Caleb are grandkids #5 and #6 for my parents, and 5 of the 6 grandkids are boys, the oldest only 4 years older than the two youngest. Our family is pretty tight, and get-togethers are frequent and fun; I can't wait to watch them all grow up together.

Here's to 2015. ;-T
1998 Guzzi V11 EV
1997 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2004 Ducati Monster 1000Sie
1970 Honda CB175
 --------------------
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
Very nice indeed MR QCGoose. Congrats!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
I'd have give top honors to the trip to the Springfield Mile with Delrod, Darren (biking sailor) and John L (lowrighter) That was a BLAST! Great guys to travel with and an awesome event! I will keep doing this trip every year till I'm too old to throw a leg over! I'd like to see more of us meet there for the races. It would be a great excuse for a N.A.R. aww hell, it IS a NAR!!

yep.  Springfield on Labor Day.

Official Moto Guzzi NAR.   ;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline QCGoose

• Gaggle Hero
  • Chris McFate
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
Very nice indeed MR QCGoose. Congrats!

Thank you!
1998 Guzzi V11 EV
1997 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2004 Ducati Monster 1000Sie
1970 Honda CB175
 --------------------
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
QCGoose, Way To Go !!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here