Author Topic: New Year's Day  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
New Year's Day
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »
New Year’s Day

Nearly every year, I go out for a ride on New Year's Day. It's a bit of a tradition for me, and I look forward to it. I’ve gone out when it’s been cold (8°F), when it’s been warm (59°F), when it’s been raining and when it’s been snowing and even when it’s been sunny and mild. Some years, I don’t go very far; I remember New Year’s Day of 1984 when it was something like 14° and the wind was blowing fiercely. I had a passenger on the back and she and I both agreed that turning back after only going about a mile seemed like a good idea. Other years, I’ve gone out for hours.
Last winter, I didn’t want to ride my bike much: I had little enthusiasm for riding, but I still got out on Jan. 1 for a few miles. Then I put the bike in the garage and didn’t take it out again until March.
Picking a destination can be tough.  While some years, I just ride randomly, I usually like to have an objective. In 2008, I rode to Emerson Hospital in Concord to take a picture of my bike at the Helipad. (I didn’t get the picture. It was too cold out and the low temp killed the camera) Usually though, the places I’d like to go are farther away than I want to ride, and probably revolve around food or at least a good cup of coffee. When I lived in Medford, I used to go to Redbones in Davis Square, Somerville, and I still would like to go there, but 40 or 50 miles each way is a bit much when it’s 22° F, so I think I’ll give it a miss this year.
Last night, I was watching the 3 Stooges Marathon, and the guys from the Phantom Gourmet were talking about Coney Island Hot Dogs in Worcester, and it struck a chord. I’ve heard about them from friends, but I’ve never gone there. I don’t know if they’re open today; but hey, it’s someplace to go. Even if they’re closed, I bet there’s a Drunken Donuts nearby and I could at least get a cup of coffee. The idea is to just get out on the Norge. The destination isn’t important; it’s the ride itself that counts. I think I’ll forego the Interstate and stick to back roads, though; just to keep the wind chill down.
Anyway, that’s my New Year’s Day tradition. I hope you all have a Happy New Year, whatever your personal traditions are.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

hammick

Re: New Year's Day
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
Happy new year!

lucydad

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
Crusty,

Sounds like an excellent tradition to me.  The V7R will get rolled out sometime today.  This morning I got up a bit hung over, made coffee, cleaned up the kitchen from last night's festivities, fed the poodles, got the paper, emptied the dishwasher for what seems like the 100th time, and laid out fixings to make pancakes and bacon.  Wife and eldest daughter are still sleeping and BF is also upstairs.  I may rouse them soon.  Read the paper quietly while drinking a cuppa and listening to Miles Davis jazz.

Windy and grey out, no rain, about 45F.  Yep, little goose needs a full tank anyway.

Ride safe.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »
HNY Guzzi folks!  Took the Breva out this morning (+13F) and as soon as I got off of our rutted, sanded, barely improved road and hit the next town's beautiful blacktop realized that the sheen was black ice.  Paddlewalked a U turn and got back on the crummy road which didn't have black ice.  Had a fun 30 minutes out but the fingertips didn't like it (heated gloves didn't do it for me this morning, will check the lead's battery connection).  I have a couple of hours away from family time this afternoon from 3-5pm (3 year old's quiet time) so if you're looking for a Fitchburg or Gardner destination around that time Crusty, let me know.  Nic 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
Well; I went out as planned, but my plans went awry when I opened the garage. My bike wouldn't start. I had to mess with it for about 20 minutes until it started the way it's supposed to. After that, I had no trouble with starting for the rest of the day. I'm still wondering about just what was wrong, and why it started working right. Maybe the bike just didn't want to go out. Anyhow, I took the back way to Worcester. I found George's Coney Island Hot Dogs, but there was a closed sign in the window. Since it was just down the street from the Smokestack BBQ, I figured I'd swing over there and get some ribs instead. But the Smokestack was closed as well. I saw a Pizza joint on the corner of the street and decided that a couple of slices would make a good brunch, so I rode over to it; but the place was empty and there was a sign in the window that said Location Available. At that point, I decided that I wasn't going to eat in Worcester today. I decided to ride over to Hudson and get a cup of coffee at the Honey Dew Donut shop. When I got there, I called Ernie and invited him to join me in a cup of coffee. There were three guys who had ridden their Harleys there, and we had a bit of conversation until they decided to head back out. After they left, Ernie arrived and we shot the bull until I noticed that the sun was getting pretty low. So I jumped on my Norge and rode home.
I've had colder New Year's Day rides, but I've had warmer rides as well. At least the roads were free of sand and salt. I got home, took a hot shower to take the chill out and fixed supper. I put on about 75 miles and saw a total of four other bikes out; all of them Harleys. It was a good ride, even if every place I wanted to eat at was closed.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:33 AM »
I rode my Stella yesterday. Kick start 2 strokes ALWAYS are ready.
Cold, though!

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 08:55:10 AM »
I normally go for a New Years Day ride too.

The Mayhem of the holidays if finally over, culminating with my wife's family holiday gathering here yesterday.   That required two evenings of helping with house cleaning and preparation (after working all day of course), and more preparation yesterday morning.    The gathering itself started at 1pm, and lasted till about 7pm.     We finished up cleanup around 9pm.    So, needless to day, no New Years Day ride for me :-(

So, today, finally, a day to myself to ride, or so I thought.

Wife is working, and daughter was to head to daycare, and though scheduled to be at work, most people won't be coming into the office, being a single day between a holiday and a weekend.    So, my plan WAS to work from home this morning, and then take the afternoon off to go ride 125.

Cue sound of the needle being scratched across the record.    Daughter is sick, and staying home.    No riding for me today :-(

That wouldn't be such a big deal as tomorrow is Saturday, you say?     Well, tomorrow's forecast is snow and rain, followed by rain all day Sunday :-(

I was really hoping to get a good ride in to "get my fix".    The is more snow in the forecast for Tuesday, and also next Saturday.

Spring can't get here fast enough.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:55:40 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
Two rides on New Years Day, two pretty different experiences.  The first ride at 13F was unpleasant (road conditions, quick finger pain). The sunset ride at 26F was great.  Stayed warm, roads had only visible ice rather than black ice and fingers stayed fine after 45 minutes.  It seems to me that the 13 degree difference between 13F and 26F made more of a difference to the riding experience than the 13 degree difference between 26F and 39F (a more common riding temp for me).  One more riding day tomorrow before the next storm comes in.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Penderic

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
I order new tools for myself on Amazon and have em gift wrap them. Still a surprise and how thoughtful, something I can use.

Movie marathon BBC Epics! Watching the last of the Sharpe Rifles episodes in HD on youtube ....  :BEER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95JjO_PVfg etc..

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
  Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here