Author Topic: A very good reason to ride a sport type motorcycle  (Read 23652 times)

dilligaf

A very good reason to ride a sport type motorcycle
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

This pass September on a ride to New England with my son in law I experience sever back pain when I stepped just wrong at a state park in Vermont.  I was riding the K75S and while riding, the pain was greatly reduced in fact, four days later the pain was gone.   ;D

Early November the pain returned with a vengeance. I could hardly walk but, with great effort I could get on my motorcycles.  While riding, the pain was greatly reduced.  The diagnosis is spinal stenosis.  I told the doctor about the motorcycle and, once she understood it was a sport bike, she agreed that riding a motorcycle would be beneficial.  Leaning forward relieves the pressure on the nerves that are being pinched by the spine. 

I switched from cruisers to sport bikes about 1980 and never looked back.   I have preached, often to no avail, that an upright cruiser type motorcycle is not a good choose, both from a handling and health point of view.  I understood the handling but never understood the health thing.  I just knew that at the end of the day I preferred a sport bike to a cruiser.  This is what I found on the web and it supports the doctor's statement.

Patients are typically more comfortable while flexed forward. Examples of activity modification for treatment of spinal stenosis might include: walking while bent over and leaning on a walker or shopping cart instead of walking upright; stationary biking (leaning forward on the handlebars) instead of walking for exercise; sitting in a recliner instead of on a straight-back chair.

So......for you stenosis suffers, is there a sport bike in your future.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A very good reason to ride a sport type motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
Another reason not to sell my V11 SPORT ;-T
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
Looks like it only effects 8-11% of the population, so I'm thinking claiming there's a general health disadvantage to an upright motorcycle might be more than a bit of a stretch.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

dilligaf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »
Not a stretch for me.  Right now getting on and off is my primary problem.  ::( Once on I can ride pain free for hours.  ;-T I suspect riding a cruiser where you depend on a  back rest to reduce spinal compression may work.  I wouldn't know as I have never ridden that type of motorcycle.

The problem with relying on a motorcycle to relieve the pain is that-sooner or later-you have go get off the SOB.  :(  :BEER:
Matt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
I'm most comfy on my dual sport sitting position, not so far foreward so I don't have keep my head held back like I'm looking up all the time. I also enjoy my field of view better. I can see over SUV's   Just me<shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
My father suffered for nearly 20 years from Spinal Stenosis.  The doctors told him it was from arthritis of the spine from his x-rays.  He would get the usual leg pains then shooting pains across his chest as the "choking" moved up his spine.  Even though he was a gifted athlete when he was young his lifestyle of stress, smoking, drinking and lack of exercise did a lot of damage.  He had to stop working due to the disability at age 55 or so.  He died  more than a decade earlier than his father and grandfather.  His treatment was a couple of decades of drugs and only when he saw God up close and personal did he start walking two hours a day.  This gave him 10 more years of difficult but acceptable life.

My brother has it and I know that I have it.

I attribute my ability to function at age 60 from 45 years of riding a bicycles with drop bars including week long tours, mountain passes, some commuting and mountain bike racing.  A decade of racing single sculls in my 30's also helped.

This last decade of only work activity and 30+ years of not having a motorcycle, another story, I decided it was time to get back into motorcycles and took the Motorcycle Safety Riding Course.  It was amazing how much better my back felt after riding a motorcycle.  Six months ago I bought my Griso and it has helped my back immensely.  

I agree with your "sporting position" helping those of us with back problems along.  I actually find the "sport" position to be very upright compared to my old Cafe bike with clip-ons.  The drop bars of a road racing bicycle are lower and a track bicycle is much lower still.  The Griso is more like a Downhill or jumping Mountain bike.

More older people should ride motorcycles as physical therapy, it would really help them.  Unfortunately here in California I see a preponderance of "ape hangers".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:23:04 AM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
I see the original poster's point: on a sport bike, bumps are absorbed by the rider's legs, whereas on a cruiser those bumps travel right up the spine. On the other hand--no pun intended--a sport bike puts my weight on my forearms and wrists that I find uncomfortable and numbing, even when I was younger.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

redrider

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
If memory serves, I think Cycle magazine from the 70's reported on this. Your spine is best when slightly curved as in a forward lean. Try not to stiff arm and use your lower back muscles for support. Cruisers have always been uncomfortable for me.

Last August I had severe lower back spasms related to crash damage in January. Two days in agony and another month of therapy with no ability to ride. An Inversion Table and exercise have me good as new. Also try some Calcium/Magnesium supplements with Valerian Root. Valerian really is the Bee's Knees for relaxation.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
a sport bike puts my weight on my forearms and wrists that I find uncomfortable and numbing, even when I was younger.

Hands going numb is a common problem of road bicycle riders, it usually comes from them not changing hand positions enough while riding and from not having enough tricep strength to support part of their weight with their arms bent.  

I also have the numb hand problem with my Griso but have found opening up my grip, having the inside of my knuckles and the open palm on the throttle along with a cramp buster paddle to really help.  I had the same problem with mountain bicycle handlebars.

My problem is without "spinning my legs" like on a bicycle I have to get off and walk a bit every 90 minutes or so.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

actwin

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
 I have had back problems since I was 15 with it getting worse as the years go by. I switched from Harleys with the upright position, to sport bikes in 1998 due to the pain limiting my miles per day plus the Ducati's I owned were WAY more fun. I still couldn't do the 400-500 miles a day I did when I was younger but again WAY more fun. Then I got my B1100 and started doing 350 mile days on it plus it was WAY  more fun than the Harleys... perfect. Last year the pain got worse when riding and I put on fewer miles total for the year with only a couple days over 200 miles. I have 3 conditions with my back, 2 vertebrate out of alignment, bulging disc's and narrow passages for the nerves to pass thru. I had made up my mind to get surgery than I considered going back to an upright riding position after my pain management doc told me leaning forward will worsen the pain. So I got to doing research on cheaper touring bikes that had comfort as their biggest asset. After sitting on a few bikes the 2 bikes that seemed to fit me were the California 1400 and the Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700. I wanted to keep the Breva and Griso Tenni  so I had to go with a 2010 Nomad do to the difference in cost between it and the Cali. The Nomad I have only has 4500 miles on it with a backrest, luggage rack and front spotlights. It's wired for a gps and brake light flasher too. I paid $8700 out the door for it and it was local. So far it has been much better on my hips and knees and to a lesser degree my lower back but I plan on trying longer trips this year, maybe a 400 mile day. The moral of the story is everybody's body is different and will respond to different remedy's , this may not work for me in the long run and I could still need surgery to ride farther. Only time will tell. One thing is ,the Nomad is slow, drags to easy and has too much chrome compared to the Guzzi's but it may have the best seat I ever used and the rear suspension is plush.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
I'm certainly in full agreement.
Even before having any age/trauma related back issues - sport served me best.

The least comfortable motorcycles I've owned for any distance riding:
Harley Super-Glide
Norton Interstate
Honda Valkyrie
and
"Oh yes he did!".... That torture rack of a Moto Guzzi Calvin.

The absolute most comfortable - around town and interstate for days:
1982 Suziki Katana
1995 Guzzi Sport 1100
Any of the many Suzuki GSs I've flaked into GS1000S "Wes Cooley-esque" ergos
BMW R65LS

Even now, closer to 60 than 40, I like the lean. Probably why my stumpy Sportster continually steals miles and smiles from the Calvin.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »
I bought a cruiser 17 years ago in an exceptional fit of bad judgement.  ::) The first time I took it down our frost heaved road, I thought, " Crap, I have to get rid of this POS. There went 5K down the drain.." I'd never had a back problem in my life until I rode that cruiser..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

dilligaf

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »
I suspect I lost more that a few sales when I would try to convince a prospect customer that an "S" or "RS" was a better choose than an "RT".  One of the most miserable rides I ever had was from Charleston, SC to Tampa, FL or an RT.  I hurt so bad I actually went to a doctor.  It doesn't help things when the owner of the BMW dealership hates an "RT".  ;D  To this day I refuse to ride an RT however, I found a California II to be a very good handling motorcycle and quite comfortable.  Da.    The conversion from cruiser to sport bike was not without pain but I had no choice. The first demo motorcycle provided by BMW was an RS.  I road that thing everyday, about 60 miles round trip, and did I hurt.  Numb hands and a sharp pain between the shoulder blades that slowly went away.   I would draw little stick diagrams in an attempt to explain to a customer why they should chose the sport bike.  Even the mechanics and my son would laugh at me.  Christmas I gave my son a K75C for Christmas.  Tuesday he coming here to service the bike and replace the handle bars with some "S" bars I happen to have.  ;D

About my GS experience's:  I road a F650GS to Tampa to visit my brother and found that motorcycle to be very uncomfortable.  Great little round town bike but I sure wouldn't ride it to Alaska. Replacing the handlebars with "S" bars helped.  I traded that bike to my daughter for a 1999 Ducati ST2.   I have no problem with my R100GS.  Little different seat and a little different riding position.   :BEER:
Matt  

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: A very good reason to ride a sport type motorcycle
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 11:02:31 AM »
Not a stretch for me.  Right now getting on and off is my primary problem.  ::(

Not doubting it's applicability to you or 8-11% of the population. It just sounded like you were preaching that as a general truth.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
I have a herniated disc and must do cervical traction at least once a day or suffer pain in my elbow and tingling in my fingers. Except, when I'm away on weekend trip on the motorcycle. At first, if I attended a rally, I'd take my traction rig with me and "stretch" myself each night back at the motel. But then one weekend trip, I forgot it, but still experienced no pain or tingling. So, I haven't packed it since.

I do find that the Ambassador is the best "mobile traction unit" - just enough forward lean with stock (civilian) handlebars, dual seat and pegs. The MZ's 'bars are just a bit too low, pegs too high and a 300 mile day leaves me aching a bit. The XT500 has a good riding position, but the vibration beats me to death on the highway, still no elbow ache or tingling.

It'll be interesting to see how I feel after long days of riding the Elefant and Paso.
Charlie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »
I see the original poster's point: on a sport bike, bumps are absorbed by the rider's legs, whereas on a cruiser those bumps travel right up the spine. On the other hand--no pun intended--a sport bike puts my weight on my forearms and wrists that I find uncomfortable and numbing, even when I was younger.

I thought bumps were absorbed by a good suspension.

Obviously 30+ years of sportbikes didn't prevent the OP from developing SS.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
I never could get as comfortable on my RS or Breva add I could an RK or RT.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

dilligaf

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
I thought bumps were absorbed by a good suspension.

Obviously 30+ years of sportbikes didn't prevent the OP from developing SS.

Nop, it didn't.  From what I have read most start to develop SS in their late 50ies early 60ies.  I'm 75.  The mechanic who laughed road Sportsters. The last I saw him he was in a wheelchair.  I don't know why and didn't ask.  Most likely had nothing to do with the motorcycle. Be kind of cool if someone could do a study.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
Over the summer I did something to my back and it was hell. Turn the wrong way and it felt like a knife was in my lower back. Went to the chiropractor who also rides and he was in total agreement that riding position helps relieve the pressure. What I did find that sitting in a car/truck was miserable but on any of my bikes I was fine....once I got on them. In a car seat you are pretty well immobilized a bike you can move around. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
Leaning forward sure helps me.  Feet forward cruisers cause lots of lower back pain.

I can ride bikes like the V11 LeMans and Sport 1100 all day long with no back problems.

At highway speeds, the weight on the hands/arms is no big deal.  At lower speeds, using legs and abs takes the weight off the hands.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

dilligaf

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
I also suffer from knee problems that(I'm like an old car starting to fall apart), so far, I have dealt with Celebrex and exercise.  When I get out of my truck I have to walk, hobble, about 20+ feet just to get my knees moving.  This is not the case with  my motorcycles.  I can sit on them for hours on end and get off an move around with out any problems.  All this may be anecdotal but as far as I am concern it's a fact.  Think about it.  I know a few folks that are older than I that also ride some long distances but not all that many and the ones I know all ride sport bikes.  :BEER:
Matt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »
I can totally see why it works for some. Me, I'm in relatively good shape, still run 5k and train in karate on a pretty regular basis. Still have all my flexibility and most of my speed. But riding positions like the Breva, RS, Ducati etc. Cause my knees to cramp sometimes not till after 200 miles, sometimes after only 50 or so.

Something more upright usually let's me move my leg positions more and/or stretch them out more.

Either way the less sharp bend (only about 90°) keeps my knees from cramping.

It's also more comfortable on my neck being more upright.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
All this may be anecdotal but as far as I am concern it's a fact.  Think about it.  I know a few folks that are older than I that also ride some long distances but not all that many and the ones I know all ride sport bikes.  :BEER:
Matt

No, it's a self-selecting bias because of whom you tend to befriend (people who share your tastes).

Most of the old bikers I know ride Harleys, cruisers, or touring bikes.

That includes an old friend who is about your age, needs DOUBLE knee replacements, and continues to ride a Road King.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
Some body has to ask, let it be me.  Will your doctor write a prescription for a sport bike?  I have always been told that without my health, nothing else matters.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »

Most of the old bikers I know ride Harleys, cruisers, or touring bikes.

My two main riding buddies (70 and 80 yrs. old) both have other type of bikes, but tend to ride their dual-sport/adventure bikes most because that's what is the most comfortable for them.
Charlie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
Guess I'm saying we each see more on the types of bikes we ride or are interested in because that's who we socialize with.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
Interesting the differences in comfort levels on various bikes.  I like sitting straight up and feel that it promotes good posture since I'm more comfortable with a straight back/spine.  My limiting factor in long rides is my arse which tends to go to sleep after a while - which I think a $ custom seat $ would take care of.  My longest ride was about 1600 miles non-stop, and my back didn't suffer one bit, but a short ride on a friend's Griso about did me in.  I can't tolerate the forward lean even for a short distance ???

Different strokes for different folks I guess ;)
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Sitting more or less straight up and down has never been a problem for me, even now at 65, although I'll freely admit to being fairly fit and flexible and not overweight. What I can't abide in a 'cruiser' is not the straight-up seating position, it's having my feet ahead of my butt. Last real sport-bike I rode was a BMW S1000RR, which damn near killed me. In more ways than one  :D
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
This pass September on a ride to New England with my son in law I experience sever back pain when I stepped just wrong at a state park in Vermont.  I was riding the K75S and while riding, the pain was greatly reduced in fact, four days later the pain was gone.   ;D

Early November the pain returned with a vengeance. I could hardly walk but, with great effort I could get on my motorcycles.  While riding, the pain was greatly reduced.  The diagnosis is spinal stenosis.  I told the doctor about the motorcycle and, once she understood it was a sport bike, she agreed that riding a motorcycle would be beneficial.  Leaning forward relieves the pressure on the nerves that are being pinched by the spine. 

I switched from cruisers to sport bikes about 1980 and never looked back.   I have preached, often to no avail, that an upright cruiser type motorcycle is not a good choose, both from a handling and health point of view.  I understood the handling but never understood the health thing.  I just knew that at the end of the day I preferred a sport bike to a cruiser.  This is what I found on the web and it supports the doctor's statement.

Patients are typically more comfortable while flexed forward. Examples of activity modification for treatment of spinal stenosis might include: walking while bent over and leaning on a walker or shopping cart instead of walking upright; stationary biking (leaning forward on the handlebars) instead of walking for exercise; sitting in a recliner instead of on a straight-back chair.

So......for you stenosis suffers, is there a sport bike in your future.   :BEER:
Matt

Your stenosis is relieved when you flex your spine hence riding a sport bike feels better. But the person next to you could have stenosis (or a bulging disc) in a different area and have their condition be aggravated by the sporting/flexed position: hence they need to get into lower back (lumbar)  extension: a more upright position.  Any article that says flexion relieves all  stenosis is false and misleading. Classical presentation of stenosis is relieved by flexion but stenosis can occur in different areas of the spine and present with different symptoms.  Additionally a bulging disk can produce identical symptoms to stenosis. Mechanically speaking both conditions are doing the same thing: compressing nerve roots. It is all a matter of which nerve roots that are compressed that determines whether extension or flexion is better or worse for the individual.  The best diagnostic tool is an MRI. But in any case spinal stenosis is NOT exclusively aggravated by sitting upright.
I have made many back braces and fit many corsets over the years and see relief in both extension and flexion. As for me I have never been able to ride a bike without a wearing a short corset. As for sport bike forget it. 30 minutes on one and I am a freaking pretzel.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
My two main riding buddies (70 and 80 yrs. old) both have other type of bikes, but tend to ride their dual-sport/adventure bikes most because that's what is the most comfortable for them.  

I would fall into this category.  I've ridden all of the various types except the pure cruisers (I'm not comfortable on them even "test sitting" in a show room) but have ended up preferring the AdvTouring types.  For me, it's the more upright seating position (although on my Stelvio I'm still slightly leaned over), a reasonable distance between the seat and the foot pegs (so my legs/knees are not so tightly bent) and that my feet are almost directly under me.  Also a probable factor is that AdvTouring bikes normally have more suspension travel which does a better job of absorbing the bumps, rather than feeding them into my body through my back.  
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here