Author Topic: Agostini timing gear  (Read 10863 times)

guzzigray

Agostini timing gear
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:27:42 AM »
Hi. Would anyone have an Agostini alloy oil pump timing gear they would like to sell ?

Regards

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Agostini timing gear
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »
Hi. Would anyone have an Agostini alloy oil pump timing gear they would like to sell ?

Regards

Can't help you Andrew, but in light of the other thread I won't bother posting in

Anyone with complete set of Ago straight cut gears they want to sell for fear of "roperising"?

Thanks to George Hoxie on here I rescued a dormant set (and he got a pair of my rooskin gloves, this offer stands too)
Pics of fitting in my luddite thread
Performing faultlessly, of course, but I don't need to convince others, no dog in fight etc, just send em my way, get them out of your life.
Agostini straight cut only, not OE Daytona or other cock ups of which there have been many (Aus made in 80's were grenades).
MH

guzzigray

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
An explanation: I recently bought a Centauro bottom end and it came with stock timing gears (steel crank gear and alloy cam and oil pump gears. After seeing that the stock oil pump gears can perhaps fail I figured the Agostini item might be a better option. They will go in a race engine so I'm not concerned about dwarf or longevity 'issues'.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
An explanation: I recently bought a Centauro bottom end and it came with stock timing gears (steel crank gear and alloy cam and oil pump gears. After seeing that the stock oil pump gears can perhaps fail I figured the Agostini item might be a better option. They will go in a race engine so I'm not concerned about dwarf or longevity 'issues'.

Remember there is bushed oil pump not needle bearings, worth fitting proper one IMHO, OE gear def suss too, they all crack in same place, so Ago one should solve it, permanently.

Concern about dwarves in another thread I think, some kind of fetish, vaguely related to timing gear failure maybe.
Longevity more important in racebike, failure ruins your weekend but I think your answer is safe, I'd do it but prefer all Ago, as proven by every Guzzi racer since 1975 ish, inc Wittner, of course.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »

guzzigray

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »

Remember there is bushed oil pump not needle bearings, worth fitting proper one IMHO, OE gear def suss too, they all crack in same place, so Ago one should solve it, permanently.

Concern about dwarves in another thread I think, some kind of fetish, vaguely related to timing gear failure maybe.
Longevity more important in racebike, failure ruins your weekend but I think your answer is safe, I'd do it but prefer all Ago, as proven by every Guzzi racer since 1975 ish, inc Wittner, of course.

Oops. Swarf not Dwarf. :). By longevity I mean that the race engine may see 2,000 mikes in it's lifetime. Alloy timing gears will last that long.

I have a set of steel Caruso gears to go into an A motor but that's another story. Thanks for your imput Martin.

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »
Dunno about the Ago gears but the early Hi-Cam tooth form is some really weird cut that nobody else has used since prior to WWII. I assume you know the tooth form is identical?

Pete

guzzigray

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »
Dunno about the Ago gears but the early Hi-Cam tooth form is some really weird cut that nobody else has used since prior to WWII. I assume you know the tooth form is identical?

Pete

Hi Pete. The gear I'm looking for is straight cut.

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Hi Pete. The gear I'm looking for is straight cut.

Yes I realise that, it's not the angle of the gear it's the tooth form.

Pete

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
I replaced the gear drive system on my beast with a chain drive since I was paranoid about the exploding gear. I still have the old set available for a reasonable offer.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

guzzigray

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »

Pete

Ah, got it. I have no idea if they are the same. Thanks for the info.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »

Pete

oh my god yes... I wouldn't mix and match gears from the same maker, let alone different ones. there is an incredible science to gear tooth profile. Even straight.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

guzzigray

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
Well my cunning plan has hit a snag  :-\. Removed the oil pump gear today and there is a taper on the oil pump shaft so apart from any pitch issues a straight shaft oil pump Ago gear wouldn't work.

Time for Plan B.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »
Well my cunning plan has hit a snag  :-\. Removed the oil pump gear today and there is a taper on the oil pump shaft so apart from any pitch issues a straight shaft oil pump Ago gear wouldn't work.

Time for Plan B.

This ?
http://www.giovannimoto.com/8573.html?galleryid=8820&itemid=25469&returnpageid=8641

guzzigray

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:34 AM »
That's one of Joe Caruso's efforts

Won't be cheap and it'll probably be steel as I know Joe had a mod to replace 2 of the alloy gears with steel on the 4V motors and a Dass oil pump.

PM me and I'll give you his email of you want, I just don't like posting it up on an open forum. He's very knowledgeable and very honest he will not sell you something you don't need or won't fit

He lives in England

John

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:55:14 AM »
Sean Fader can bush the oil pump for you.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

guzzigray

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
That's one of Joe Caruso's efforts

Won't be cheap and it'll probably be steel as I know Joe had a mod to replace 2 of the alloy gears with steel on the 4V motors and a Dass oil pump.

PM me and I'll give you his email of you want, I just don't like posting it up on an open forum. He's very knowledgeable and very honest he will not sell you something you don't need or won't fit

He lives in England

John

Hi John. I have Joe's email as I have a set of his steel gears. Thank you for the thought. I love your Sfida btw. I've always wanted one  :)

guzzigray

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »
Sean Fader can bush the oil pump for you.

I'll give him a call. Thank you.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I'll give him a call. Thank you.

Well thank you. I had always wanted one too and just got VERY lucky. The build/restore/sacralige took me a while I used to be an engineer, well that was my title, I was never that sure.  ::)

I'm building another for my sins, hope I'm still young enough to ride it at the pace of progress.

John

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here