Author Topic: 73 eldorado 850 timing marks  (Read 4297 times)

tomlbby

73 eldorado 850 timing marks
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
im putting the bike back together with new to me oem jugs and pistons.Im trying to set the distributer static timing to have tdc lh cyl match the mark on flywheel and not having much luck.Is there a trick to it im missing?i dont have a degree wheel,i just wanna get it close to test fire.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 73 eldorado 850 timing marks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
Count the teeth on Dizzy gear, then rotate it back that amount w/you install it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
On "Loopframe" Guzzis such as your Eldo, the timing marks aren't on the flywheel, but on the back half of the lower belt pulley on the front of the engine. Just small notches, it helps to mark them with White-Out or paint. The static timing mark is the second one from the left. Do check to make sure that the pulley is in the correct position before you start though. The left most mark is TDC and should align with the arrow on the timing cover when the left (as you sit astride the bike) piston is at TDC. With the way it's designed, it's possible to install the pulley 1/3 of a turn off either way. 
Charlie

BigDave in PA

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »
On "Loopframe" Guzzis such as your Eldo, the timing marks aren't on the flywheel, but on the back half of the lower belt pulley on the front of the engine. Just small notches, it helps to mark them with White-Out or paint. The static timing mark is the second one from the left. Do check to make sure that the pulley is in the correct position before you start though. The left most mark is TDC and should align with the arrow on the timing cover when the left (as you sit astride the bike) piston is at TDC. With the way it's designed, it's possible to install the pulley 1/3 of a turn off either way. 

True Charlie. I found that on my '73 Eldo the belt pulley had enough play in the bolt holes that it could really affect the accuracy of the timing. The bolts were not shouldered and the pulley had side play. I used a tdc tool along with a degree wheel and made my own marks on the flywheel. I was surprised how much more accurate it was.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

tomlbby

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »
I turned up the lh cyl to tdc on compression stroke and the 1st mark on pulley was around 10 oclock while facing front of motor.even the mark that is visible on flywheel acess window was just past alignment mark.so i set the valves on lh at tdc then did same for rh cyl,set the distributer rotor to just before the #2 dist post and she fired right up.ill do a strobe light timming after fix acouple little leaks.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here