Author Topic: Leaking exhaust manifold gasket at the head  (Read 3495 times)

dddd

Leaking exhaust manifold gasket at the head
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
Started my 8V Norge up today and heard what sounded like an exhaust leak at the left cylinder head, after putting my hand in around the pipe I could feel the air (exhaust ) pulsing around in there confirming what I suspected.
I'm assuming its going to take a few days to get the gasket in, my question is does anyone think it will damage anything to ride it the way it is for a day or so ???

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Leaking exhaust manifold gasket at the head
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:28:27 AM »
Started my 8V Norge up today and heard what sounded like an exhaust leak at the left cylinder head, after putting my hand in around the pipe I could feel the air (exhaust ) pulsing around in there confirming what I suspected.
I'm assuming its going to take a few days to get the gasket in, my question is does anyone think it will damage anything to ride it the way it is for a day or so ???
prob not but will pop on overrun, excessive doing this could burn valves out, unlikely in days , it might fool the fool injection lamda sensor and run funny
But first try doing up exhaust, gaskets don't blow, they are simply neglected
If only just started doing it you might get it to seal in under a minute, also tighten the other side (should have been done at first service)

Don't know about 8V (Pete will chime in) but if as old Guzzi there is welded on flange at pipe end, this could break off (again usually because loose)
So, worth looking before ordering anything

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:41:04 AM »
Should be fine, I bought my Breva with an exhaust leak and Mischa didn't make anything of it when he replaced it over at Moto International other than "Oh, you have a bad exhaust gasket"

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:41:58 AM »
Dean, I have two in bags on my bedside table, (Don't ask!) text me your address and I'll stick one in the mail tomorrow. Will it do damage? Unlikely, but it's possible. As Martin suggested, have you tried just tightening the flange nuts. Usually it's simply they've loosened off.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:41:58 AM »

dddd

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
Dean, I have two in bags on my bedside table, (Don't ask!) text me your address and I'll stick one in the mail tomorrow. Will it do damage? Unlikely, but it's possible. As Martin suggested, have you tried just tightening the flange nuts. Usually it's simply they've loosened off.

Pete

Yes I have tried nipping them up a bit but no luck which didn't surprise me as the head pipes have been out before a couple of times when the weld around pipe and cat body failed, which required the whole show to be pulled apart.
Pete much appreciated,  I cant text (don't ask) I will send you an email

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here