Author Topic: 1998 V11 EV basic question (indication)  (Read 9392 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1998 V11 EV basic question (indication)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
Nice, I have one the same colour, it started out black then I heard of someone selling all the blue bits, I call it my "bolt on paint job"
There will be 12 Volts on both plugs, the fuel level light has 12 Volts on one side. The sensor draws a small current through the level lamp to chassis but not enough to light the lamp. This current is enough to warm up the sensor when it's not cooled by fuel. If allowed to warm up (above fuel level) the resistance drops, it warms up some more, the resistance drops until the low level lamp lights, they work really well, first of all they start to come on and off as the fuel sloshes around.
If you have the plugs swapped the lamp will come on for sure since the petcock is only 120 Ohms but with 12Volts directly across the level sensor it will burn out in seconds if the fuel drops.
That Harpers price is excellent, grab one if they are in stock (I don't see a picture)
As Wayne pointed out earlier the sensor will measure about 1,000 Ohms at ambient temperature, if it's reading open it's fritzed I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:09:12 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
If it is opened, it is toasted.
Assuming you used an auto ranging ohmmeter.

I used a Harbor Freight $2 ohm meter set at 20K.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
Sorry, it's fried, don't feel too bad most others are as well, I have one on my V11 Sport, it still works because the plugs aren't interchangeable.
You would be very lucky to find a used one that works, here's what they look like, 2nd from bottom.
http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=e&Shnew=1&Model=5&ModelName=Daytona,%20Centauro,%20MGS-01&Cat=FUA&CatName=Fuel%20and%20Carburettors&spPage=3
The Panasonic sensor I posted earlier replaces the shiny tip you see, but getting access to the wires is a bit tricky the wires are too short to allow you to pull the tip off.

BTW, when I fill up I reset the trip meter to zero and look for fuel at 150 miles, I've only run out once that way :sad: your little container is another way.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:39:37 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
geees, that Harper's part (fuel sensor) was $125 last time I looked. 

I just called Harper's to order the $50 replacement but it's out of stock until next week.   :undecided:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
geees, that Harper's part (fuel sensor) was $125 last time I looked. 

I just called Harper's to order the $50 replacement but it's out of stock until next week.   :undecided:

Then Guzzi will have raised the price.

:shocked:

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »
I've been riding the bike without the low fuel warning.  I've put as much as four gallons in at a pit stop.  As of Sunday, the light came on with just over 100 miles on the odometer.  It's on intermittently at idle.  I blip the throttle and it goes out.  I figured I have a short some place, but when I unplugged the sensor, the light went out.  The sensor reads now 380 ohms.  Strange.

Yes, I've been trying it out as a dual sport.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

LaMojo

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
Nice bike.  The red oval on he side cover (if original) indicates the bike is an early 1998 model.  The later ones had just the Vll script.  Seems like there is a very slight difference somewhere but don't remember what. Yes, the alt light will glow dim when at idle, mine does. 

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
The low fuel sensor reads about 1000 ohms at room temp.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 02:59:43 AM »
I have a twin to yours, too. I've had mine up to 125mph a couple of times. Rock steady. I think the rpms  was 5k.
I'll be happy to double check if you like 😀

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here