Author Topic: Your most embarrassing motorcycle moment .  (Read 10767 times)

oldbike54

Your most embarrassing motorcycle moment .
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
 Here we are locked in Winter , so it is time for some humor , and maybe a bit of spirit cleansing  :laugh:

No need to fear discussing this topic , as we have all experienced that moment when the only correct response is "oops , maybe no one saw that"  :shocked:   I have a couple to post up after while .

So come on , we promise not to point and laugh , well , not too much anyway  :evil:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Your most embarrassing motorcycle moment .
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
OK.

I was going to night school working on my Masters in San Antonio.  I was riding my '81 Seca 550.  The class decided to go out for beers after class.  We had several pitchers of draft.  And I drank too much.

I remember getting on the freeway and being hit with a rock the size of a walnut on my knee.  Then I decided to run up to 100 mph, hit the brakes and make the corner into my housing addition.  I hit the brakes, stopped in the road but didn't get my feet down.  I went over like the tricycle on Laugh In.  Then rolled my ankle picking up the bike.  Rode home, went to bed.

Next day, got up, rode to work.  I got in the office and bent over and my ankle hurt immediately.  I remember wearing a flannel shirt, the office was hot, I was hungover and got very nauseous.   

I had to go home sick.  Rode home, went to bed.

//////////////////////////////////////////

About as dumb as I can remember excect for another time I was riding home from work in San Antonio and decided to peg it on hwy 90 doing about 100.  When I slowed to get on Loop 410 and looked in the mirror, the cop car was bearing down on me so that I could see vortexes of dust behind him.  The cop was huge guy who said he had been trailing me for about 4 miles........
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:59:57 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »
Dusty, here's my contribution.

Several years ago, on a bright, warm spring Sunday, I was leaving one of my favorite restaurants in the beautiful little canal town of Peninsula, Ohio.  I had no sooner straddled the bike (BMW Rockster) when two lovely Ducatis pulled in and parked next to me.  I shut off the engine, and chatted with the riders for a moment, then decided I needed a closer look at their bikes.  As I dismounted, the bike didn't settle on the side stand ..... I'd put it up (!!) so the little Rockster crashed to the asphalt.

Both the Duc riders jumped to the rescue and began picking the bike up. 

Bad enough to do this in front of a couple of strangers.  To add to my embarrassment, the restaurant manager, who was on the outdoor patio, heard the noise, saw the problem, and began shouting "Bob, are you ok?"  Now, of course, everyone on the patio is looking.  I'm thinking 'please, please .... don't ask me again!'

Embarrassed ............ oh, yeah!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
 I was riding my SR500 coming into Klamath Falls Oregon.  Stood up on the pegs to fart, only it wasn't a fart.
 I had to ride standing up all the way home.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
After a hard weekend at the IA Guzzi rally a few years back, a gaggle of us Guzzi riders road down the dirt road to the ferry crossing over to Cassville WI.   As we road up to the staging area a group of HD ridders were already there waiting.  The five of us road up to a stop, and then, then my Bassa tipped to the left, and down I went, bike and all!   I too forgot to put my feet down!  That sweet ass Bassa said, "dude, if you aren't going to pour me the coals, then you ass is going down and down it did!   Right in view of the HD riders, Dough!!!    Thankfully my fellow comrades jump in to help rectify the situation and all appeared ok. 

I felt like a dipstick!  But we all had a good laugh.  Later I found I tore my meniscus on that slow tip over, I would have never thought that would happen as the damaged knee was on the other side and never even hit the ground, but the way I twisted my leg as I went down did the damage.   That's my most embarrassing thing to happen yet while on a motorcycle, I have done far more embarrassing things after parking the Guzzi for the night!   
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
I never did anything stupid.
I won't do it again, either.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
  :laugh:

So since I started this ...

The first really embarrassing personal incident happened at about 10 years of age . We were at the old Salvation Army Summer camp outside of Wichita , and there was one of those weird clown scooters on campus , the strange little beasts that had something resembling a chair located close to the ground where the operator sat . It had a lever throttle with no return , worked like a lawn mower throttle . There was a dirt road running around the property , probably a mile around that ran right by the pool . You guessed it , I went racing by the pool feeling all grown up and cool , forgot the throttle didn't shut off on its own and failed to negotiate the left hand curve just past the pool . Ran off into a shallow ditch , bounced off the scooter, landing in a very ungraceful manner while all of the older kids at the pool cheered me on  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
As a young motor officer I had been in the prestigious position for only two days when being dispatched to a minor fender bender in the parking lot of a trucking company. It was around 4:30 in the evening as the office was letting out. I pulled into the parking lot with blue light on, mostly to accomplish getting the attention of several young ladies office employees who were walking to their cars. The pretty shiny electric glide had an issue of coughing after cutting it off. When I stopped and suavely kicking out the kickstand and stepping off, the bike was in gear and about the time I was completely off, the motor coughed, the harley lunged foreword. The stand latch hadn�t engaged and  the big beautiful electra glide fell over like it had been shot by a sniper. The laughter erupted from the pack of young ladies and a flood of embarrassment came over me. However a flood of adrenaline also surged through my body and I snatched that harley up like it was a bicycle. I tipped my helmet to the ladies and strutted off towards the OTHER ACCIDENT I was suppose to investigate.

From that day foreword anytime someone would ask me how much that big harley weighted my response was always the same..... DEPENDS ON HOW MANY LADIES ARE WATCHING WHEN YOU DROP IT😂

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »
I "borrowed" my dad's CZ. Rode it into town, to the campus of the Carnegie Library, where all my 420 buds hung out. They were all sitting on the concrete wall by the grass, as always. I wanted to pull the bike up onto the sidewalk to get it out of the street. I revved it, popped the clutch, and the bike bounced off the tall curb, in a crooked wheelie. What was worse, I still held onto the bars with my, er,  right hand.  :embarrassed: So, there I was, half on, half off the bike as it wheelied toward the red light. It got out of my grip, and rolled , down the hill. I had to run along side, and kick it over to make it stop. It knocked a nice chunk of yellow CZ paint off the front fender. I then had a lot of 'splainin to do when the old man got home..... :sad:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:20:36 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
After 40 years of riding without a motorcycle endorsed licence, I decided it was time. So I enrolled in the required course and on the fist day in the morning classroom session while we were introducing ourselves and telling about our previous riding experience, I was sitting in my chair balancing on the two rear legs like I frequently do, in that state of not knowing which way you are going to go. Down I went over backwards while all eyes are on me.
They even let me on the bikes later in the afternoon. I passed my test!

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
I've got this.

Ok, so the majority of WG knows I'm a newb, and my first motorcycle was rolled into the garage this last September 22nd.  One month to the day later I dropped Anni at a T intersection in South Mountain Park, not once but twice!  I swear it wasn't just a simple case of the jittery newb as there was vomit, a bee sting, and a downed cyclist involved. 

The story goes like this:

I dropped off the kids at school and rushed home to gear up.  The weather was perfect for mid-October, 80 with an expected high of 92, so I was excited to get up the mountain.  I pulled out of the neighbourhood gate, turned up the hill and hung a right.  Immediately I saw two motorcyclists on the side of the road, and one was flagging me down. 

Turns out, she just was so thrilled to see another lady on a bike she couldn't contain herself!  I thought the other biker was a friend of hers, but he was a stranger she had struck up a conversation with.  Whilst we were talking, a kid on a Honda NC700 went by and waved, she tried to flag him down too.  This lady was a very enthusiastic new rider and wanted everyone to know it.   After chatting about her Honda Rebel, and my admittedly gorgeous Anni, 20 minutes later I was on the road.

The ride up Summit Rd. and Dobbins Lookout was beautiful, so I decided on the way down to take a left at N. Buena Vista, then up S. TV Rd. to the Gila Valley Lookout.  All went well, I even saw the Honda NC700 and her rider taking in the view, but I chose not to stop but to return down the mountain.

Here's where it gets hairy.  I came to the Summit Rd./N. Buena Vista T, and stopped for a car that had the right of way.  I was stopped on an uphill grade making a semi-blind downhill left turn, a little rough for a newb, but I'd done it several times before without issue.  As I eased on the throttle and started slipping the clutch I heard a crash at my right rear accompanied by retching!

As you know, newbs don't do well when they have to think about too many things at once.  Here I was, worried about traffic on a blind corner, getting moving on a hill, and negotiating an uphill to downhill turn, then I'm startled by lord knows what behind me.  I grabbed a handful of front brake whilst turning to the right to see what the commotion was, and OH S#!+!!!.  Anni listed left, and down she went.

The crash turned out to be a young lady bicyclist coming to an emergency stop and being unable to get her clip ons detached before she puked all over herself.  She managed to, but just barely.  Anni landed on my left ankle, pinning me briefly, but in my adrenaline-fueled state, I pulled free as another cyclist pulled up.

This new guy arriving at the scene was at a loss as to which chick go to first, me under the motorcycle or the lady barfing up a lung.  I told him I was fine and to check on her, yanked clear, stood and surveyed the damage.  A few cars going up Summit Rd. slowed, but none stopped.  I guess they figured with two bikes, and one person down, they wanted none of it.

It took a few minutes for the women to start feeling a touch better, and when she did, the gentleman came to offer his help in lifting Anni off the blacktop, and to a better location.  This is when I discovered the broken peg staring accusingly at me from the ground.  I picked it up, shoved it in my pocket, and rolled Anni to a slightly flatter spot, and wondered how the f^@K I was going to get home.

Now, you might be wondering about that aforementioned bee sting; enter the NC700 and rider.  The kid comes to a stop, flip up his visor, asks if I'm Ok, reaches for his keys AND GETS STUNG!  The bee was on his keychain, probably hanging on for dear life when he went to remove his keys.

Now it was my turn to come to the rescue!  I scraped out the still pumping stinger and joked about good samaritans getting the short end of the stick or something dumb like that.  Nerves, I guess.  He mentioned seeing me earlier with the chick that flagged me and tried to flag him down.  I told him the same story as above and said I had considered purchasing a NC, but it was too tall for me to sit comfortably blah-blah...

Niceties done with, barf-girl on her feet and being loaded into a friends car, thank yous and handshakes all around, I mount up, and try working the clutch.  As it turns out, it wasn't difficult as there is plenty of room at the peg connection point to support my foot when working the clutch.  Whoo-hoo off to home I go to be done with this fiasco!

My ankle is a bit sore from the bike landing on it, but I was wearing TCX Street motorcycle hightops with ankle protection, which helped a lot.  I pulled up to my driveway, dismounted, opened the garage, rolled out my moto-dolly, and remounted.  My drive is short and steep so I use the momentum I get going down to roll onto the dolly.  Easy-peasy right?  Apparently not with a tweaked ankle!  Anni rolled on fine, I put my left foot down and felt an excruciating bit of lightning shoot through my ankle...and dropped her on the undamaged side!

A scooter-riding neighbour witnessed my distress and helped me pick her up and roll her into the garage because now I was in pain.   

To make a long story longer, the ankle still isn't right, but getting less noticeable every day, and the drop-fest hasn't reoccured.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:17:07 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
Giving a mates GF a ride on my 250 NSU, showing her my riding skills down a muddy pathway. Back on the pavement I turn right and the front wheel slips out from under and down we go.

Hurt my pride and lost a bit of skin off my right knee.

Girl got a fright but survived pretty much unscathed.

Fun times :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 73eldorado

• Theres a fine line between tough and stupid
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
My most embarrassing moment was at Alice’s Restaurant in California. We were going to the Moto GP race at Laguna Seca and I was riding a top heavy Honda ST 1300. It was a Friday evening and there was probably a 100 plus bikes and people everywhere. As I rode up to park I failed to notice that the ground was cambered left to right. The right side was lowest, as I put my foot down I noticed it was lower but the bike had leaned a bit. Then it started to slip out on a fine layer of sand, I realized there was no saving it so got out of the way and let her fall. People came running from everywhere to see what the not so bright Canadian had done. 3 of us got her back on her wheels and the only damage was to the tip over protector, a sacrificial part designed to save other damage. It didn’t save my embarrassment and my so called buddies rode that for the rest of the trip. Can I throw your bike on the ground for you etc!!

1973 Eldorado
1981 Lemans
2006 Hayabusa
1978 Suzuki GS 1000
1997 Honda XR400

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
Which one and yes alcohol was involved. 
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
Kind of like 73Eldorado. When the Norge was a mere two weeks old we pulled into a restaurant lot in Ellsworth, KS. Stopped and let the wife off. Went to park the Norge and as the front wheel went through a shallow rain drain it washed out on the silt and went right down. Found out I could pick it back up by myself. The Norge still has some scuffs and scratches to remind me.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
I was riding my SR500 coming into Klamath Falls Oregon.  Stood up on the pegs to fart, only it wasn't a fart.
:1: ROFLMAO :1:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »
Simple. Pulling up, first in line, to a main intersection stoplight, my pant cuff hooked the peg and hung me up while I toppled over like a bad Benny Hill skit. No help needed once I got out from under the bike. I was so embarrassed I could have packed that thing out on my back to get away. To this day I tuck my pants into my boots before saddling up.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
LowRyter and I have something in common.

Way back in my university days, I was riding my first bike - a 1968 Suzuki X6 Hustler. I had spent too long at a frat party, and a buddy of mine who also rode decided it would be best if the two of us escorted each other most of the way home.

Round about 2 am, heading down Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, being very careful and very conservative in our riding, we approached a red light. Drawing up smoothly and properly, we came to a stop. Then:

| / _

Completely forgot to put my foot down. My buddy nearly followed me to the ground, he was laughing so hard. Fortunately, the street was deserted and we picked up my bike and made our way home.

I won't claim I never have a drink while I'm riding - but I've never had more than one an hour when riding or driving ever since. And I've never had a moving violation, let alone a DUI!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »
Was at the MOGP laguna Seca with my then young son.  leaving the race went to my bike , April Falco and found a small group checking out my bike , go on started up to pull forward to let my sone climb on and slammed to the ground.  forgot to remove the disk lock.  felt like an ass! My son was standing behind some people like he don't know me. 

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:57 PM »
In my younger and more hirsute days .....

I was a poor student who rode a Yamaha RD 400 on the road.
My previous dirt bike was a Honda CR250 ... which I could ride pretty well in the desert sand hills of my home town.
I got the chance to buy a mint condition Yamaha IT 465 ... that was quite frankly and absolute b*stard to ride.
My first day out with my dirt riding buddies, after bragging about my prowess on the 250 ...
We went into the hills surrounding the City where I went to college, and I could not for the life of me control this bike up a steep rocky path to the top of the first hill.
The bike just wanted to loop over me in any gear with any amount of throttle.
I just turned around a rode home ...

It took me six months of practice to get anywhere near as fast on the dirt with that bike as I was on the 250 ...way to much power for me.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »

You didn't have to, you chose to.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Bazil

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:45 AM »
Maybe not my most embarrassing, but - yesterday.

Replaced brake fluid both ends and all looked fine. Geared up to go for a road test. Trickling down the driveway at walking pace, tried back brake - OK. Tried front brake and  (you know how this is going to play out)  next thing you know I'm on the ground ground with the bike on it's side.   :violent1:

A combination of sandy gravel drive with pine needles over it and a rookie error, and I've got a broken spark plug & cap, scuffed fairing,  headguard and wounded pride . A D'oh moment. Only upside was lack of witnesses.

Replaced the broken plug & cap and went for a ride anyway. Felt better.
1986 Lario ( long gone, still missed)
1985 Mark IV Lemans ( Gina)
1991 V40 Targa ( L'il Jeannie)
1962 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:12 AM »
Getting caught perving on a Kawasaki GTR 1400 in a dealership while fondling my cheque book, back in '09.
All the while my Norge was out the front looking comparatively beautiful.
Never felt so silly in all my life...
Why have an affair with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, when you've got Isabella Rossellini at home "ready to go" ??? :wink:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:58:04 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 01:53:20 AM »
I've got this.

Ok, so the majority of WG knows I'm a newb, and my first motorcycle was rolled into the garage this last September 22nd.  One month to the day later I dropped Anni at a T intersection in South Mountain Park, not once but twice!  I swear it wasn't just a simple case of the jittery newb as there was vomit, a bee sting, and a downed cyclist involved. 

The story goes like this:.....

......To make a long story longer, the ankle still isn't right, but getting less noticeable every day, and the drop-fest hasn't reoccured.
Great story GG.
Tennessee Williams would be proud of you.
Sort of Monty Python/Benny Hill/ Fawlty Towers combo. with motorcycle mayhem and hilarious hijinx thrown in for good measure.
Hang on, I'll just close the widow, somebody's playing Yakkity Sax outside.
No real damage to Anni or yourself, so nobody's lost an eye.
Two or more girls interacting in a scene can only be a good thing, :wink: :thumb:
and a bit of gratuitous toilet humour in the form of a chunder reference... :bow: :popcorn:
Extremely good rally story for the swaying participants around a late night campfire, and some good mental imagery to help one off to sleep.... :wink:
Oh, and BTW.
What caused the female cyclist to chuck her guts, did she catch a sideways glimpse of the NC 700 ?
That'll do it most times if you're already a bit fragile... :coffee:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:54:16 AM by Huzo »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »
 In 1972 when I was 25 ...I bought my first bike, a 65 BSA 650...It was a total piece of junk, leaked oil, long forks.....I had never ridden any motorcycle, other than a 50cc step through...I rode it up and down the road a few times when I bought it....So I get it registered and insured....I pull out  into the road at too high a speed to make a tight turn with the long front end and run right  into a brick retaining wall...I wan't injured, the front forks and wheel was trashed..

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:32 AM »
18 years ago.  Push my new EV out of the garage.  Neighbour across the street waves at me.  I wave back while holding the
bar with one hand.  Front wheel hits a pebble.  Bike tips over, on the wrong (opposite) side of course. Obviously I try to hold the bike. Ridiculous!  Bike on it's side and me  all over it.  Wife and neighbour helped to put it (and myself) back on its wheels, errr feet  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:50:15 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 05:46:36 AM »
So many to choose from. Most recent was dropping the Mille trying to start from a hill-side curb -- in front of the entire gang at the Ouray NAR.

Happily the worst disasters happened without witnesses, so I blushed only for myself.

Much much worse than the physical mistakes (just klutzwork) are the mental blunders. Spending hours trying to trace an electrical problem, giving up, and remembering the next day to check the fuse.   Mistaking a brake bleeder nipple for a Zink fitting, and managing to break it off.  Heading out on a test run without fully tightening the handlebar clamps. And so on, ad infinitum.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Fontain25

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:37 AM »
The only trials bike I had ever ridden was a Yamaha TY250. A friend purchased a SWM Jumbo and wanted me to do routine maintenance - went to load it into pick up and decided this was the type of bike I could ride up the ramp into the bed of truck. Got lined up and throttled it a little too much and did a wheelie all the way up the ramp and blasted out my rear glass with the front tire. The Jumbo had so much more power than what I was familiar with it was amazing !

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 07:04:43 AM »
When I was 19 (living in Daytona Beach, FL) I wasn't aware of any resources where one could learn about hazards to motorcyclists like all the books and internet resources we have today.

I had to learn first hand what those hazards were and sometimes I survived them without too much incident like sliding to a stop light sideways on a wet road, but a few hazards put me on my butt.

I was going around a Burger King in Daytona Beach and I crossed in front of the dumpster leaned over and didn't realize there was a nice trail of grease in front of the recently emptied dumpster.  Next thing I knew I was on my butt in the parking lot and my XS750 was spinning on the highway bar.  People started coming out of the restaurant but in my embarrasment I lifted that bike and started it and was gone in a flash.

Another time I met a couple tourists and offered to show them our only curvy roads in the area that the now call "the loop".  After we went through the curves I pulled into a sand parking area in Tomoka and as I turned to park the bike slide out from under me because there was a little mud under the leaves.  If this would have happened before leading them through the curves they might have decided to go their own way. 

Not embarassing, but my funiest moment was when a friend and I were riding up in Saint Augustine.  We were side by side in beach traffic and I was on the right.  I said "let's pull into that parking lot", that was to our left.  I started to move to the left to pull in and he for some reason didn't see that entrance and thought we were going to pull into the next entrance.  He bumped into the side of my bike and it was just enough where I couldn't hold it upright.  Being young, I was able to hop off the bike as it went over and just started laughing.  The tourists were freaking out, but we were both laughing. 

I alway recommend that a new rider either get a dual sport bike, or a bike that can have tip over bars installed.  I lost count of how many times that XS750 was dropped, but with highway bars and saddelbag guards there never was any damage done.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

bpreynolds

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:57 AM »

I think we have a winner.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here