Author Topic: Mgx-21, which exhaust?  (Read 9193 times)

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
Mgx-21, which exhaust?
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:21:05 AM »
Just got myself a new MGX-21, and trying to figure out what exhaust to install, all I see is the OEM Guzzi slip-ons, Mistral slip-ons, and Agostini slip-ons in steel or carbon fiber.
I'm leaning towards the Agostini carbon fiber slip-ons, because of their lightness, but I'm wondering if they will hold up like the steel ones will.
Back in the day I had carbon fiber silencers on other bikes but they ended up coming apart, are they better now?
TIA Alex.

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
Re: Mgx-21, which exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
Not to be snarky, but you care about weight on a 750+ lb bike??

I have had lots of carbon fiber exhausts. As long as you dont store them in the direct sun, don't run super lean and don't wash with harsh chemicals they will last a long time.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »
Just curious as to why to replace new mufflers? I have a 1400 tourer which I think is the same motor and I find the sound to hit a quite pleasant note.

Online izzuG

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
My carbon fiber exhaust on my Ducati is 17 years old, still look brand new. As mentioned earlier, long term sun exposure is detrimental. I clean mine with Plexus, works great.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Just curious as to why to replace new mufflers? I have a 1400 tourer which I think is the same motor and I find the sound to hit a quite pleasant note.

Reason?  To release the beautiful sound.  OEM exhausts are extremely quiet.  I don't know how you know its pleasant, what with wind noise, helmet, ear plugs.  No way you can hear an OEM exhaust on any machine while riding it.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
Also stock is too large.  When choosing your carbon fibre slip-ons, you might want to consider if they allow you access to the rear axle without having to remove them.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »
Reason?  To release the beautiful sound.  OEM exhausts are extremely quiet.  I don't know how you know its pleasant, what with wind noise, helmet, ear plugs.  No way you can hear an OEM exhaust on any machine while riding it.
I totally understand your logic as I have been through the loud pipe days on Harley's. I guess my constant ringing ears wouldn't know much difference either way however I do find a comfort in quietness in my later years of ridding
👍

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »
I totally understand your logic as I have been through the loud pipe days on Harley's. I guess my constant ringing ears wouldn't know much difference either way however I do find a comfort in quietness in my later years of ridding
👍

The tinnitus is more likely due to wind noise from not wearing ear plugs while riding.  I suffer the same problem.  It took me years to come around.  The ringing in my left ear can be nasty some days.

Still, I do enjoy a nicely tuned V-twin exhaust.  80-dB stockers are just too quiet!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
The tinnitus is more likely due to wind noise from not wearing ear plugs while riding.  I suffer the same problem.  It took me years to come around.  The ringing in my left ear can be nasty some days.

Still, I do enjoy a nicely tuned V-twin exhaust.  80-dB stockers are just too quiet!
Inhear ya Brother, maybe I should try a little louder bark that woukd override this terrible ringing that I cannot escape. Looks like modern medical science could help up with this curse. Sometimes I think being deaf would be better than this if it would stop the ringing:(

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
I put Mistrals on mine. Love them.  The bike popped a bit afterwards, but a new Beetle map cured that.  Here's a video of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yTLysSqxI
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
I put Mistrals on mine. Love them.  The bike popped a bit afterwards, but a new Beetle map cured that.  Here's a video of mine:

Heard these for real...they sound great!
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »
I've heard Agostini's on a 1400 motor.  Glorious.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:36 PM »
Hey there 1badmgx. I sent you a PM

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »
Not to be snarky, but you care about weight on a 750+ lb bike??

I have had lots of carbon fiber exhausts. As long as you dont store them in the direct sun, don't run super lean and don't wash with harsh chemicals they will last a long time.

Not a deal breaker if the aftermarket exhaust is no lighter than stock,  but if I get the choice I'll always go for something that's lighter, the way I see it, if I can lighten the bike or get my fatass on a diet, it's ALWAYS a good thing.  :laugh:

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »

I think that Guzzies sound good too, but when I hear a non compliant exhaust on a V-twin, it's music to my ears.  :boozing:

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Also stock is too large.  When choosing your carbon fibre slip-ons, you might want to consider if they allow you access to the rear axle without having to remove them.

I'm thinking if the aftermarket exhaust were shorter than stock, the exhaust heat/carbon soot might damage or discolor the non removable carbon fiber bags.

Offline 1BADMGX

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 11:52:09 PM »

Thanks for the video, I think that your exhaust sounds really good, which way do you run your bike, with the Db killers in or out?
And what is the Beetle map?

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 03:21:12 AM »
I have Mistrals on my Tourer and they’re borderline too loud with the dB killers in.  They also make an odd, flat sound when you chop the throttle at 3,000rpm that sounds like the jake brake on a semi.  I think it’s from the mapping going super lean from 3,000 to 2,700.  I’m hoping a Beetle map will cure it.  The 1400 Mistral exhaust is MUCH louder than the one I had on my 1200 Sport.  With the dB killers out it’s ridiculous.  Way too loud, way too lean.  It popped and made the flat spot more noticeable.  Again, maybe a Beetle map would cure that but the volume of noise was not anything I wanted to put up with. 

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 06:02:22 AM »
The Agostinis on my 1400 are just right.  At 50 mph and up, with the touring shield and ear plugs in, you can just barely hear them.  When you give it the gas, they sing.  With the summer/fly shield, you don't hear them at all unless accelerating.  Db killers are in place.  IMO way too much without them.
Blue Guzz

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 07:19:24 AM »
Thanks for the video, I think that your exhaust sounds really good, which way do you run your bike, with the Db killers in or out?
And what is the Beetle map?

I've had the killers out for a while.  Oddly enough, with them in or out they put off the same exact amount of Db.  But, the "pitch" with them in isn't as sharp as when they're out. This was all before the Beetle map was installed. Afterwards, it seemed to actually quiet things a bit so I pulled them back out. Now, I think they're perfect.

See this post for all things Beetle. You can thank me later. https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:21:22 AM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
I have Agostinis on my 1400 and one of my riding buddies has Mistrals on his.

IMHO each brand has a distinctive sound:

- Agostinis have what I describe as a 'bark' when you blip the throttle.
- Mistrals have more of a deep rumble.

I rather like the way Mistrals sound but prefer the look of Agostinis.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
I'm thinking if the aftermarket exhaust were shorter than stock, the exhaust heat/carbon soot might damage or discolor the non removable carbon fiber bags.

I've never had any issues with my short aftermarket exhaust and my C-bow bags.  Mine ain't carbon fiber, but since they make mufflers from carbon fiber I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.

j.r.r.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
I have Agostinis on my 1400 and one of my riding buddies has Mistrals on his.

IMHO each brand has a distinctive sound:

- Agostinis have what I describe as a 'bark' when you blip the throttle.
- Mistrals have more of a deep rumble.

I rather like the way Mistrals sound but prefer the look of Agostinis.

I 100% agree. Installed Agostini pipes on my Audace because I like the look but will put Mistral pipes on my new Eldorado. The "more of deep rumble" is perfect description of those pipes.

Offline Pancho

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
I know this is an old topic but i debaffled my mgx-21 and installed a bosster plug fueler and it sounds and runs great and is also about 20lbs lighter. There's a couple of videos on YouTube showing how to do this. Took me a whole 2 hours and cost $300.00 total including the steel holesaw I purchased for the job.  :grin:

Offline TiMGX21

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:54 PM »
I just debaffled my MGX.... WAAAY too loud! Cant even hear myself think in my helmet. Stock was far too quiet, no baffles are too loud, Agostinis on order should be just right!

Offline rfguy

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
The uncorked Mistrals on my 2014 Cali1400 Custom is a lovely sound, throughout the range. Admittedly, they ARE a bit ugly. I did fit a pair of FatDucs later on that a friend had laying in his toolbox, for the popping on chopped throttle. It took a full Saturday's highway ride to get them dialed in though. Probably a good half-dozen tweaks after a half hour each time at highway speeds. At least from how he was running them on his Ducati... That was over a year ago, haven't touched anything since... FWIW... ;-)

Offline TiMGX21

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
2 months later...
Just got the Agostinis in from Italy! Easiest install ever. Took about 45min. And the sound? I left the db killers in and the rumble at idle was divine. Up to speed on the highway it gets pretty quiet, which is nice in comparison to debaffling the stockers which only got louder the more you gave it gas. Also the look blends in nicely. Couldnt be happier!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here