Author Topic: Might be time to quit riding  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Might be time to quit riding
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2021, 08:46:50 AM »
If you quit riding will you have lots of other fun things to do? If you do, I think the transition will be easier. If mc riding has been the activity you enjoy more than anything else, it'll be harder.

Is there something you've wanted to try doing but never got around to?

If it's safe to ride a bicycle where you are, you might consider an Ebike.

Rich A

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »
Everything is paid for.  Keep ONE at least.  You never know.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
If you quit riding will you have lots of other fun things to do? If you do, I think the transition will be easier. If mc riding has been the activity you enjoy more than anything else, it'll be harder.

Is there something you've wanted to try doing but never got around to?

If it's safe to ride a bicycle where you are, you might consider an Ebike.

Rich A

Totally agree - think about what you want to do rather than just going cold turkey. Change can be good IF you manage it. I went from bikes to some vintage sports cars a few years ago following a really rough riding year. Took about 5 years but I got back into bikes (Guzzi's!) and have been riding again since.

I do regret selling all my bikes and really wish I had kept my favorite ('76 CB400F). The bug may return so KOF's advice is also good. Maybe having just one will be more motivating and engaging than several. Less work, fewer decisions, more riding.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
Unloaded the Motus, Stelivo went to a good home, Aprilia is up for sale and I'm keeping my 82.5k miles Triumph in hopes of getting it to 100k.

A half hour on a bike and I'm now exhausted - used to ride to Canada from Georgia in a single day. I've been one step ahead of the blues for a couple decades but recent event shut me down and now blues have caught me. It doesn't look like blues is practicing catch and release so...

...I got a puppy and am concentrating on raising him and training him. I spend 24 hours a day with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhPxBPFatNk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »

bobrebos

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
What!? And miss out on Godzilla poop and Alien posts!?

Hopefully!

bobrebos

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
AMEN.  I punted all social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  Giant time waste.

:thumb:

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Well, bumping up an old topic as the feelings have came back.  For some reason lately, I am paranoid while riding my motorcycle that someone in a car is going to run right over me!  Is that a sign that I need to sell my bikes and do a safer hobby?  Hmmmm?????  I think it might be time to pull the trigger and change hobbies.

Bob, I think Luap had the best advice.

All I can add is that fear is not necessarily a bad thing. Last week I had to emergency stops twice. Once when a car pulled out from a convenience store and once when a car turned left into my right turn lane to cut thru traffic. (Yes head on to me) Such occurrences are not due to being on a motorcycle. For my job I drive a gasoline tanker. Loaded I’m right at 80,000 pounds (9,000) gallons of sloshy fuel. My truck sways like a cruiseliner when loaded. Go around a turn too fast, swerve to avoid something, or run off the edge of the road and I’m looking at serious injuries or a fatality. Inattentive drivers are just as dangerous to me when my rig is loaded as they are to me when I’m on my bike. Allowing that fear of a serious accident temper the risks I take benefits me and other drivers. I view that fear as good thing. Now if it becomes more than a background noise and becomes something that is making you lock up mentally, overreact needlessly, then it has become harmful and it’s time to move on. That is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:25 PM »
@bobrebos,there you figured it out yourself, ...........ditched a few "sozialmedia" sites' ,when i want 'sozialmedia' I /we go for a Ride.
And doesn't matter the size or Make/Model.
That for me is one of the Reasons I bought a V 7 as backup bike,nice and handy .
Keep what you doing ,just with less !!!
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2021, 04:17:19 PM »
You know Bob if you enjoyed the rallies, meeting your buddy pals for meals, the forum and such, there’s no reason you can’t continue those enjoyments in any type of vehicle. That’s going to be my plan as I’ve made and have too many great buddies with this motorcycling life’s book chapter, that I can’t see quitting just because I’m no longer on two wheels. It’ll all come together, that’s the way life seems to work. Best of luck👍

Dan

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
You don't really have to "quit" riding.  You can take time off for as long as you want, if you end up dying of old age or such before you get out for a ride, well such is life!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2021, 06:19:38 PM »
I’m older than you I’m thinking and  many (!) things  I’ve done in my years  including my profession could be considered as “hazardous to my health but I have always managed to land on my feet so to speak.

As I get older I really don’t think about the hazard or what my gut feels, so if I have the enthusiasm to do something be it flying, riding horses or single track machines, what ever, if the desire is there I press on. The only thing I really consider is ..Am I fit to go, both mentally and physically.

Not interested in the odds, will deal w/the hazards.

I believe that if you lose the enthusiasm for the things you have enjoyed during your life including all its hazards then your on your way out, there are worse things in life than ______?

.02c

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:44:34 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
I turn 65 this week.  Still enjoy riding (almost) as much as I always have.  But there's no doubt the weight of larger bikes is becoming an issue.  Planning a long trip out west this June.  Might be my last one of those.  Putting in long hours in the saddle isn't the problem, but getting a good night's sleep on the road is becoming damn near impossible.  I'd like to give a sidecar a shot before I hang it up completely.  Always see riders with their dog in the sidecar, looks like they are both having a great time.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2021, 09:10:50 PM »
A hack is fun.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline v85lover

• New Egg
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »
If you sell your bikes and cannot ride, that’s when you’re going to want to..

I know that all to well don't I Huzo

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here