Author Topic: Red triangle/service 1200 Sport  (Read 661 times)

Offline Lovey

• New Egg
Red triangle/service 1200 Sport
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
G'day all,
my apologies in advance for the length of the post, but I figure a bit of an explanation never goes astray.  I've also searched the forum for this problem, but mine appears a bit different to the ones that I found here.

I bought a 1200 Sport a month or so ago and it came with 2 keys, but no known user code, so the second key wouldn't work.  I took it up to Pete Roper for a once over and he gave it a service and checked the bike over and gave it the tick of approval.  The only problem was that he couldn't weave his magic to get the second key working and suggested getting the master key cloned, so that I would have a working spare.

Anyhoo, when I got home I started fiddling and entering some numbers in using the second key.  Lo and behold, using the code of 00001 worked, and the dash did the magic sweep and the bike started. 
The only thing is that when I use this second key, the dash says 'SERVICE' and the red triangle is illuminated.  When I use the master key, this message and light are not displayed.

When I checked the owners manual it only suggests that 'The electronic control unit has detected a failure. Contact a Moto Guzzi dealer.' 

Can anyone assist with what the possible cause might be, or how I should go about checking?
Would there be a reason why only one key (not both) would bring up these messages?
As both keys appear to be working, can I/should I now change the user code, or leave it as is?

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Red triangle/service 1200 Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
my red triangle comes on about once or twice on a 4 day ride.
I simply re start the bike or turn the ignigtion on and off.
Your triangle may be part of the strange key. Use the regular key and keep the other for a spare knowing how to use the code.

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:48:46 PM »
I believe the dash can store only a single user code.

My interpretation is that code 00001 has been stored and that your first, "master" key is properly registered in (or "remembered by") the dash. So you can insert the first key and start the motorcycle without being challenged for the code.

The second key is unregistered, so you are challenged for the code when you insert it.

So I suggest that you insert the first key and proceed through the menus until you get to the option to register a new key. At that point you will be challenged for the code, and you should enter 00001. The next step will be to insert the second key to register it.

After that has been done you should be able to use either key without entering the code. Also, you should be able to use code 00001 to change the code to a new number.

Please report back saying whether or not this worked. I could be misunderstanding what your situation is.

Moto

850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Lovey

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »
You are spot on Moto,
and in the interim Mr Roper rang me and gave me the exact same advice, so my thanks to you both for your help.
I think I'll get another key cut and cloned, just in case.
Thanks again all,
Steve

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »
You are spot on Moto,
and in the interim Mr Roper rang me and gave me the exact same advice, so my thanks to you both for your help.
I think I'll get another key cut and cloned, just in case.
Thanks again all,
Steve

Great! Good luck with your new bike.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:00:22 AM »
my red triangle comes on about once or twice on a 4 day ride.
I simply re start the bike or turn the ignigtion on and off.
Your triangle may be part of the strange key. Use the regular key and keep the other for a spare knowing how to use the code.
More often than not, that is the oil pressure switch.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here