General Category > General Discussion

Rebuilding/servicing a hydraulic jack?

(1/5) > >>

Tom:
Anyone do it successfully?  I've seen some vids and curious if it worked out for you?  I have one floor jack that I'd like to service.  Any advice?  While I'm at it, one of motorcycle lifts slowly loses lift, fortunately there is a lock and doesn't dump the bike.

Travlr:
Sorry, but I removed my cylinder and sent it off to be rebuilt.  Seems like it was $100-$150 to do the job.

Mike

pehayes:
I have a moto lift table (similar but not from HF) which has a foot hydraulic pump combined with and air pressure system which drives the same pump.  I can thus use an air hose or my foot to lift a moto.  The hydraulic ram pump is the same as a traditional 'bottle jack' but it lays down sideways.  Charlie Mullendore has the same table.  Mine was always leaking out the control valve area.   I disassembled and fabricated a new control valve.  I recall adding a second o-ring groove.  Works perfectly and hasn't lost a drop in years now.  Fairly simple and crude construction throughout.  I did NOT disassemble the entire ram and reservoir.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Tom:
My motorcycle lift is leaking on the piston, I'm guessing that it needs a seal.  The floor jack that I need to fix has a slight leak too, looks like it might be the same thing.  Thanks.

OldMojo:
I have an old Sears floor jack that was no longer pumping up. Found the manual online - long since discontinued (no surprise), but regardless, none of the hydraulic parts were listed - just the whole hydraulic unit. No kit numbers, no seal numbers, nada.

Figured I'd take a shot in the dark and search YouTube for "Sears floor jack repair". Wouldn't you know it, there's a whole genre of jack repair and restoration videos. Wasn't long before I found a video of a guy fixing the same problem with the same jack, with the trade numbers for the seals helpfully posted.

Sometimes the internet is actually good for something!  :grin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version