Author Topic: An SUV took me out on my r1200c of ten years. Now considering an MG Callifornia  (Read 2622 times)

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Hello,

My name is Aaron and I am new to the group.  I live in Brooklyn, NY, and have been riding motorcycles for 25 years.  I had a 2002 BMW r1200c for about ten years that I had ridden back and forth across the country on a solo trip a few years back.  But then on the way back from Home Depot, 2 miles from home, I was in the right lane and an SUV 12 feet in front of me decided to make a right turn from the left lane just in front of me.  Well, I am alive but my bike is gone.  At first I was going to get right back into the same model bike but then figured I had the opportunity to change things up, so why not?

I am short, with a 29" inseam, so many bikes are no good for me.  But years ago up in Portland, OR, I had the chance to ride a (late nineties?) MG California, and really liked it.  I am thinking of buying one several states away and riding it back to shake off the tiny bits of fear left over from making an Aaron shaped dent in the side of the guy's Yukon.  I am considering a 2002 MG California Super Sport, and also a 2004 California Titanium.  There is also a 2008 California Vintage out there if they will come down some from their asking price. 

I am open to all feedback, except getting on the bandwagon of bashing my old bike.   :grin:  Just because I am thinking about changing bikes doesn't mean I did not love that damn thing.  Thanks!

Sincerely,
Aaron

PS  And if you could recommend a mechanic willing to work on a early/mid 2000's California within an hour of NYC I sure would appreciate it.  I can find guys who will work on olllllllld guzzi's or new ones, but not those in between.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:31:51 PM by abloom »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
I can't help you with the info you requested but I can say welcome to WG!  There are a whole lotta Beemer lovers here (I'm one) so you won't get any grief for that.  I can also say that this is the best bunch of people you'll ever fall in with and I'm sure someone will chime in soon with the answers you seek. 

When you do make a choice, post lots of pics along with a return home ride report.  We adore reading about members good adventures.   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Hi Aaron -

Sorry for your loss...By the way, I have owned 4 airhead Beemers in my time, and they are good bikes! :cool:

Since you live in Brooklyn, you really need to go see Peter and his shop and talk to him about Guzzi's.  He also does service, there as well. :thumb: :1:  See more here:  https://motoborgotaro.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:32:05 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
I own a 98 California EV and have test ridden the Beemer 1200 Custom model.

I think you'll be totally surprised with the performance and control of Guzzi over the Beemer.  The Guzzi is a better performer in every way and alot more fun.  I think the Vintage has a lower seat than the other two bikes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:11:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Welcome to WG.
not sure but I think all three of those bikes have tube type rims.. If you widen your search to include an EV or Bassa you can get tubeless rims making a flat tire a whole lot easier to deal with on a road trip.

some Vintage's have poor history with the CPU and ability to run perfect.. make sure it's been tuned properly.
would you consider a V11 Sport near you?
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/d/2001-moto-guzzi-v11-sport/6569701481.html

or this low mileage Breva in NJ,
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/moto-guzzi/6549182608.html
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

twowings

Welcome to WG! Glad you are ok and ready to ride again...hope you find the Goose for you... :thumb:

I used to live at 108-112 South Portland Ave right off Fulton near BAM if you know that area...

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
Would shy away from '03 &'04 1100s; toooo many issues with hydraulic valve train!!!!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Welcome to WG. I, too, am built really close to the ground.  :smiley: I would say a floorboard bike is out. They are just too wide for comfort. I can tip toe about anything, though. Had a Quota for quite a while.
That said, the above mention of a Bassa (eyetalian for low) is a good one. Sporty bike in cruiser (sort of ) clothing. Adjustable suspension, tubeless spoked wheels. Also as mentioned, be wary of a hydro engine if you don't know what you are looking at. They *can* be great..but.. they may have not had the recall done.
Ask here before buying. Don't be one of those guys that buys one and comes here and asks how he's done.  :smiley: There are really good and really bad Guzzis to buy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Welcome Aaron!
Had lots of bikes including Beemers, they’re all good and fun in their own ways.
Have only had the Vintage out of the 3 you mentioned.
A Sport of any type has always cramped me up if tarmac miles are on the agenda which it sounds like they are for you.
That said, I had a 2007 Cali Vintage and it is a fine touring mount. Seat was low and wasn’t too wide. (31” inseam)

Good luck and post pics when you acquire a Guzzi. They get in your blood! Fair warning.....

Jack aka inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
First off, welcome to the insanity!

Second, it's ok, Bimmers ain't bad bikes, just wide bikes!  :tongue:

My first Guzzi is my current Guzzi, a 2004 California Titanium. I brought her home last summer after the fine folks here told me what to look out for. In short:

1. Triple Tree Castings that are cracked - there was a batch of them that had flawed castings, just look, if you don't see cracks by now, it's likely just fine. Meaning that if it was going to crack it would have done so in the first 14 years or riding, but if changed it was documented because it was a factory recall.

2. They mentioned the "Hydro Motor" because this bike has hydraulic lifters. The 2003 and early 2004 ones had faulty lifters that often collapsed, usually by 15K miles. This was a warranty job, so ask for service records to verify it was done.

3. By far the worst issue with the 2003 and early 2004 bikes was the single plate clutch. These, again, tended to disintegrate often before 15-20K miles. Another warranty job, so ask for records.

And if they can't supply service records, like the guy I bought mine from, you can at least contact Guzzi and have them run the VIN to see if these jobs were done.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, the folks here are a wealth of knowledge on these bikes. A week after I first saw mine, they had given me enough info to check all the "gotchas" out so I could be sure I was getting a solid machine.

I have no regrets.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
The Vintage runs a little lean down low, but recalibration of the fuel injection can be accomplished for $250 (or less if you do it yourself). Send ncdan a personal message. He has an ‘07 Vintage with low miles that he may be willing to part with...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Bimmers are cars!

Be careful buying a Guzzi...you will want two!
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
And if they can't supply service records, like the guy I bought mine from, you can at least contact Guzzi and have them run the VIN to see if these jobs were done.

Even that won't tell all. Some unscrupulous "dealers" took the money and didn't do the work. (!!)  The only way to tell for sure is to look.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
A Bassa, also called a Special Sport is a lot of bike for the money with few of the troubles of some of the other years, l have one that's over 150K miles now and is still my main bike. They are getting old now so that will be something to consider. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that in your original post you didn't want to bash your old bike. It seems to me that you've already done that, with a little SUV help.  :evil: welcome to the madness !
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:11:29 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Wow, that is quite a welcome.  Thank you all so much.  I am just seeing all this after posting a few days ago.  I will follow up with some questions tomorrow.  But really, thank you!

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Hi Aaron -

Sorry for your loss...By the way, I have owned 4 airhead Beemers in my time, and they are good bikes! :cool:

Since you live in Brooklyn, you really need to go see Peter and his shop and talk to him about Guzzi's.  He also does service, there as well. :thumb: :1:  See more here:  https://motoborgotaro.com/

Someone told me he only works on older bikes, like pre-1988, or something like that.  Any sense of that?

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Welcome to WG! Glad you are ok and ready to ride again...hope you find the Goose for you... :thumb:

I used to live at 108-112 South Portland Ave right off Fulton near BAM if you know that area...

I know it really well!  I used to work 20 years ago at Vanderbilt and DeKalb.  Nowadays I live in Bed-Stuy, not so far from there.  Where are you now?

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Here are some of the ones I have found around that pique my curiosity:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/6565738866.html

https://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/d/motoguzzi/6570657837.html

https://augusta.craigslist.org/bar/d/2004-moto-guzzi/6568243375.html

That last one does have a lot of pictures he emailed me, as well as a good deal of information.  How do you find out if they are early or late model 2004's?

Offline abloom

• New Egg
A Bassa, also called a Special Sport is a lot of bike for the money with few of the troubles of some of the other years, l have one that's over 150K miles now and is still my main bike. They are getting old now so that will be something to consider. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that in your original post you didn't want to bash your old bike. It seems to me that you've already done that, with a little SUV help.  :evil: welcome to the madness !

Thank you. I was hoping somebody would catch that....

If you look closely, you can see what I look like in the aaron-shaped dent on the side there...

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
You're not too far from Hamlin in Bethel, CT.  One of the top Guzzi guys in the east.  He can fix anything.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
That Special Sport in Indy looks like a lot of bike for the money, and it has very reasonable mileage.  I've always loved that paint scheme, too.  I'd ask if he has the original exhaust, though...

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:21:12 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline slowpoke69

• New Egg
Wow, that is quite a welcome.  Thank you all so much.  I am just seeing all this after posting a few days ago.  I will follow up with some questions tomorrow.  But really, thank you!
I've got an 06 Breva 1100, 67k on her,  no problems! He ain't lying about wanting another though!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Bimmers are cars!

Be careful buying a Guzzi...you will want two!

That's correct...Bimmers (CARS), and BEEMERS (bikes) :thumb: :cool: :1:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
Ah, a brother chromehead. I have the R12CLC in the garage. Thing of beauty.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline EV11Jack

• New Egg
Hi Aaron, My name is Jack. I live on Long Island & have a '98 EV11 California. I love it as it fits me well (29 1/2 inseam). I'm 64 & considering selling it for something lighter, as I'm just not as strong as I used to be. It's the classic colors of " Hotdog & Mustard". If you're interested, let me know & I will take some pictures for you.  It's a '98 so the "hydro" issue won't be a concern. New tires, brakes, valves adjusted within 500 miles, forks rebuilt, new starter, throttle bodies synchronized & more that I've forgotten about. Runs like a champ!
I've had some things done by Brooklyn Motors (Carlos). I think you'll be happy with his work and location. "Borgato" will only deal with the really old stuff.
I can only speak for myself, but I think you'll be happy with an MG!
Good luck on your search & decision!
Cheers, Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1998 EV11 California

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
GREAT color combo
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
You're not too far from Hamlin in Bethel, CT.  One of the top Guzzi guys in the east.  He can fix anything.

:1

In fact I'll be up there today (almost a 2hr ride) for a bit of TLC for Sophia.

www.http://hamlincycles.com

There's a 2017 California Touring and a 2016 Norge 1200 GT and a 2015 Norge 1200 GT for sale.

hope to see you in the guzzi family.

Gerry
2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here