Author Topic: Talk me through initial VHB 29 setup  (Read 1351 times)

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
Talk me through initial VHB 29 setup
« on: April 20, 2019, 02:09:32 PM »
Rebuilt my VHB 29s for my 70 Ambo. I知 not set up for carb vacuum sync.  I知 looking for speed screw and mixture settings. I知 running K&N pods.  Any help would be great.

I致e had the valves ground and added the Gilardoni jugs, pistons and rings. Cleaned the tank and rebuilt the petcocks.

Looking at doing my initial start up tomorrow or Monday and would like the carbs somewhat close.

Still running points.

Thanks, Tony
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:12:30 PM by T4halo »
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Talk me through initial VHB 29 setup
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »
Start  here and search through "C" for carb.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe.html

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »
Initial set-up:

Idle speed: Got a good drill bit set? Select the 9/32" drill. Screw the idle speed screw (knurled screw w/exposed spring) in or out until the shank of the 9/32" drill slips under the slide at the filter end. Repeat for the other carburetor.

Cable slack: choke cables and throttle cables should have around 3/32-1/8" slack. Adjust them so that the left and right of each are as close to the same as possible.

Idle mixture: turn the idle mixture screws (down in a hole, no exposed spring) in until the seat, then turn them out ~ 2 turns.

Sync'ing the carbs: Engine not running. Open the throttle slightly and use the friction screw on the twist grip or other means to hold it there. Use a larger drill bit in the same manner as dscribed above to measure the opening height of the slides. If one is higher/lower than the other, use the cable adjuster on the top of the carb to adjust the slide up or down as needed. Make sure you still have adequate slack when at the idle position. This will never be as accurate as syncing with a vacuum manometer.

Adjusting idle mixture: Start the engine and bring it up to normal operating temperature. Slowly turn an idle mixture screw in, listening and feeling for the engine to just begin to slightly slow or falter, turn the mixture out 1/2 turn. Repeat on the other side.

Works for me. YMMV.   
Charlie

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks. I tried ealier today to move the slide via the speed screw and did not notice the slide moving?  I値l try it again tomorrow.

T
7th & 10th SF retired

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
Thanks. I tried ealier today to move the slide via the speed screw and did not notice the slide moving?  I値l try it again tomorrow.

T

Best to open the throttle slightly as you turn that screw in. Otherwise the screw can dig into the slide. Could have already happened.
Charlie

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
Best to open the throttle slightly as you turn that screw in. Otherwise the screw can dig into the slide. Could have already happened.

It might have been that way. I tried moving the slide with the throttle and tightening the screw. The slide would return to original position.
7th & 10th SF retired

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here