Author Topic: 75/5 restoration evaluation  (Read 856 times)

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
75/5 restoration evaluation
« on: October 06, 2023, 08:47:35 PM »
So I recently acquired a 70 beemer along with a 77 convert.  After several hours looking at both bikes I decided to start with the beemer.  There is a lot less going on with that bike.

The "mechanic" that I picked up these bikes from, seemed to like to remove heads and bits, then push them into a corner...   the BMW suffered busted fins in his attempt to pull the jugs.  Pistons were ceased hard, but using Ozark engineering I managed to extract them

Rods look good journal bearings feel good and I don't see any rust inside the engine.  I think it's a solid candidate for restoration....

Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 75/5 restoration evaluation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »
Very clever puller you came up with, I love DIY tools that the average Joe can make themselves! 👍
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 04:30:11 PM »
It’s easy for me to spend your money, but I think it’s an excellent project to do.  We had a sorta one owner 1970 R75/5  that ping-ponged back and forth between that original owner and 1-2 others at the shop as personal wealth ebbed and flowed for 20+ yrs.  Then it was sold outside of the circle and is now forever gone from our grasp...  At least it’s still local, parked next to a very, very nice V7 Sport.

That was a really great bike.  Hopefully your project will turn out well.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:30:32 AM »
The plan as of right now, is to keep my OCD in check. clean repair and replace the top end and see if i can get the old girl running. If so then on to the niddley bits to make it rideable.  This bike came without a title so this project may end quickly if i can't get past this hurdle.  any advice here would be a help (PM me please).

The bike is showing 60K miles on the clock, and i think that it is accurate (just doesn't look like its been to 160K) so if i get it running. with the jugs off I didn't see anything ugly in the bottom end. rods feel tight, wrist pins are in spec. therefore i am inclined Not to crack into the cases. Due to the age and time sitting, I am worried about all the rubber seals, and im wondering if I should replace them now, or wait for evidence on need ?? 

my overall plan for this bike is to get it operational, every thing working, sell it, and use that money to invest in the convert.
nothing against the BMW, but the convert is what i went for, and i suspect the cost to restore it will be a bigger number than the BMW.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:30:32 AM »

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 01:56:04 AM »
I like your plan :thumb:

If you need tips, this bloke offer lots https://www.youtube.com/@BrooksAirheadGarage
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 08:42:16 AM »
The plan as of right now, is to keep my OCD in check. clean repair and replace the top end and see if i can get the old girl running. If so then on to the niddley bits to make it rideable.  This bike came without a title so this project may end quickly if i can't get past this hurdle.  any advice here would be a help (PM me please).

The bike is showing 60K miles on the clock, and i think that it is accurate (just doesn't look like its been to 160K) so if i get it running. with the jugs off I didn't see anything ugly in the bottom end. rods feel tight, wrist pins are in spec. therefore i am inclined Not to crack into the cases. Due to the age and time sitting, I am worried about all the rubber seals, and im wondering if I should replace them now, or wait for evidence on need ?? 

my overall plan for this bike is to get it operational, every thing working, sell it, and use that money to invest in the convert.
nothing against the BMW, but the convert is what i went for, and i suspect the cost to restore it will be a bigger number than the BMW.

I'll PM with a title service.

The front crank seal is easy to replace once the alternator is removed, so I'd do that. Definitely new pushrod tube seals. Other than those, I'd wait to see what leaks.
Charlie

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 07:49:03 PM »
Run the numbers.  This isn’t a simple or quick clean tank & carbs, add battery & gas, get it running project.

Buy for $100 (making the Convert free- Guzzi content..) and sell quick as is for $500-$750 to make at least $400.   That’s a min 400% profit, which is a great roi, and little to no time spent/wasted. Plus, you’ll probably make someone happy with a good deal on a project they want.

Time spent aside, buy for $100, spend $1k-$2k (thinking the drip-drip-drip of new & used parts prices plus the mentioned ocd) to try to make the same $500 can easily cut roi to 25%-50% if that.  Just like a similar condition Guzzi, an unpretty BMW doesn’t bring top dollar. 

Unless you know a specific market/model really, really well, it’s really easy to spend so much fix-up money on a bike that you end up lucky if you break even.  Btdt.   If it’s all about making money to spend on the Convert, I would sell it as it sits for the same amount of net income vs diminishing return by spending lots more to get the same amount.   Then use the same profit to start on the Convert this winter vs next year..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »
i smell what your stepping in Cliffrod...  and perhaps it is the best answer, however in this section of the country, it's a bit of a tough sell.  A non-runner that isn't a Harley, Mustang, of lifted truck ! (then throw in the lack of title.)

but if you offering 500 send me a PM and put my OCD mind at rest....  it's the least you can do.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 08:45:31 AM »
You’re funny….   Nope, not asking or offering to buy.  Way too many projects here to add another one. 

This is generally a good time to sell “winter project” bikes and anything classic- like that first year /5- available in the $500 price range is usually a good item to sell.   Compared to years ago, there are so few good bikes out there now for a rational price.  Because of the limited supply/opportunities plus new ways to resolve it, lack of title now isn’t the detriment it used to be.   If you sell it as is, what you make is basically pure profit.  The more you spend to make it marketable imho diminishes your margin.   

I would put it up for sale as is for $600 or $750 obo and see what happens.  Someone will probably offer much less, then be agreeable to $400-$500.  If I had the chance to buy the same bike same condition for $100, that’s what I would do.
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:13 AM »
A little (very little) progress on the Boxer..  As i am putting in a pool, I can only get to the bikes when the pool project is not demanding attention.

The piston rings were imbedded and seized in the pistons, I tried every thing that i know to loosen them up. Multiple boils in Diezel, Marvel Mystery, even 80% Vinegar.  but after many days of soaking, poking and prodding I gave up and started using a punch to remove them, and it was still a tough job.

Otherwise the cylinders cleaned up well, and so far the heads are looking reasonable (perhaps one exhaust guide). I did notice that one of the push rod tubes that are pressed into the cylinder has a loose ring on it (the ring that holds the rubber boot into the block).

So a question to you Boxer peeps...  I have a spare cylinder with pushrod tubes that are good, is it easy to knock them out and replace the bad one in my good cylinder, or epoxy bond the loose ring (or tack weld) back to it tube...

Sorry if in using all the wrong nouns !

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 02:32:55 PM »
It's been a while but i managed to get the right cylinder back in place. I was short shipped two push rod tube seals, so the left side waits.
Next is to get the carbs sorted and back on. then get the ignition as see if i can make some noise.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here