Author Topic: "Gasolina" boots and jackets company,order problem  (Read 18612 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
"Gasolina" boots and jackets company,order problem
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
Hello folks, I ordered a leather jacket from "Gasolina" , paid them $310. through paypal, they state they take about 3 weeks to get a jacket shipped out.I wanted it for a ride that I went on, a month after I ordered it,the jacket never arrived on time, and now, I have waited 6 weeks and have not heard anything from them,I have emailed them various times, and no response from them. Has anyone here bought anything from Gasolina, and what was your experience with the company? I am getting a bit worried, I know its a small operation down in Mexico, and all, but this is getting ridiculous. any ideas how I should proceed? I paid them through my paypal account, funded by my american express card. Thanks in advance, Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
Re: "Gasolina" boots and jackets company,order problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Two data points....1) I corresponded with Gasolina last week so someone is there at least answering emails and 2) boots I ordered from them arrived about two months later than promised. 

Scott   

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
Hello, and thanks for the response. 2 months later than promised is unacceptable to me, after reading your response, I opened a dispute through Paypal. I believe you only have 45 days from purchase to open a dispute with paypal, so I figgured I had better get that started.
what a crappy company to do business with......... >:( >:(
Rick

lordabhi

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
Gasolina Speedway jacket looks so cool.  Comparable Quality Jackets which are 'Made in USA' -such as  Vanson, Langlitz etc will cost much more. Dont forget to tell us what you think of the quality when you do receive it.  I may get one too.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

Red Dog

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
About three years ago I tried buying a set of retro boots.  Contacted them first to see if they could do them in brown leather & add a small Guzzi oval patch.  We agreed on a price & I sent them the patches only to have them claim they never got them.  I had insurance & tracking from USPS & sent them copies but they denied they got them.

They would do nothing about it, no offer to make it right, no apology, just well looks like you're out were those patches are concerned.

I cancelled the order, disputed the credit card deposit with my bank & got a full refund.

Gasolina is a junk outfit in my book.

lordabhi

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
...there is an old thread in ADV on Gasolina.

www.advrider.com/forums/​showthread.php?t=622148

In one of the post owner son's says

"Gasolina Boots is my folks' company... My mom is spending a few hours a day at the computer just answering email (in addition to her her normal work) and some stuff slips by. We've had some issues with our boot-maker, his quality is excellent, but he's not used to the volume and keeps getting orders mixed up - making the same custom order twice, losing orders... once he screwed up the inches to CM conversion and made us some freakishly large boots... "

and this should explain some the issues.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
This sounds like an opportunity for a road trip to go pick up a jacket!

Red Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:31 PM »
...there is an old thread in ADV on Gasolina.

www.advrider.com/forums/​showthread.php?t=622148

In one of the post owner son's says

"Gasolina Boots is my folks' company... My mom is spending a few hours a day at the computer just answering email (in addition to her her normal work) and some stuff slips by. We've had some issues with our boot-maker, his quality is excellent, but he's not used to the volume and keeps getting orders mixed up - making the same custom order twice, losing orders... once he screwed up the inches to CM conversion and made us some freakishly large boots... "

and this should explain some the issues.

May explain it but does not make it right when you supply them with proof positive that mail was delivered & they say Buck off. 

Mistakes happen in every company but in my book it is how the company addresses & fixes those mistakes that make them a good or a poor company.

They are a poor company in my experience.  If they had offered to cut shipping costs to cover my loss I would have gone ahead with the order but they didn't.  Their bad & their loss.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Mistakes happen in every company but in my book it is how the company addresses & fixes those mistakes that make them a good or a poor company.

Right!  I told my kids that problems in life are like a golfer hitting his ball into a sand trap.  A hack like me goes in a sand trap, gets flustered, and will likely add a couple more shots by the time he gets back on the fairway.  A pro goes in the trap like anyone else, but on his next shot is always in the middle of the fairway in a good position to make the green on the next shot.  It's not whether you make mistakes, but how you recover.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:06 AM »
This sounds like an opportunity for a road trip to go pick up a jacket!

HahaHa, Guanajuato is a bit far from northern Sonora for a road trip!  It would probably be one heck of an adventure, though!  Rick

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:49 AM »
Gasolina Speedway jacket looks so cool.  Comparable Quality Jackets which are 'Made in USA' -such as  Vanson, Langlitz etc will cost much more. Dont forget to tell us what you think of the quality when you do receive it.  I may get one too.

the speedway is the one I ordered for my son, It does have a "Vanson" look to it. I hope we can make this deal work, but from some of the other folk's experiences with Gasolina, Im kinda doubtful.
Rick

noel cassidy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »
I ordered a pair of boots from them and they did take a wee bit longer to receive then stated. Must say the quality of the boot is excellent. Had to install a molded insole which is no big deal. It's  tough trying to run on schedule when having stuff produced in small batches in Mexico. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and try the jacket out. Interesting to hear what you think of it.

dilligaf

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »
We are currently living in a one-click purchase world and the stuff is delivered they next day from folks who know how to make a big company run right.  ;-T  Folks who know exactly how to keep us happy.  ;D Then we run into a small mom and pop operation who only know how to make good stuff but can't understand what the problem is.   ??? Sort of like the small mom and pop motorcycle dealership that only wants to sell motorcycles.  ;-T  Both are becoming a thing of the  pass.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:15:38 AM by dilligaf »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
We are currently living in a one-click purchase world and the stuff is delivered they next day from folks who know how to make a big company run right.  ;-T  Folks who know exactly how to keep us happy.  ;D Then we run into a small mom and pop operation who only know how to make good stuff but can't understand what the problem is.   ??? Sort of like the small mom and pop motorcycle dealership that only wants to sell motorcycles.  ;-T  Both are becoming a thing of the  pass.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt

One thing's for certain, it doesn't matter if it's mom and pop or Steve Jobs, etc., if they aren't doing a good job of doing what they say it's not good for the customer.  I love the mom and pop stores (I'm one of them), but they aren't always qualified to get it right.  Sounds like Gasolina is not doing what it needs to be doing to get it right.  If their supplier is overwhelmed, that's wrong.  If mom can't put more than a couple hours a day on the computer, that's wrong.  Sounds like they grew too fast to me and didn't have a solution in place.  They are paying the price now.  Lying to your customers about timelines and poor communication is a worse problem than being honest and upfront about ACTUAL timelines.  I wouldn't give them the time of day.
-Kevin 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

dilligaf

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Kevin,
I agree.  I can only wonder how many mechanics who were unhappy  with the money they were making compared to the shop rate quit and opened up their own shop only to discover to their horror they had to pay the overhead, talk to some really dumb people, schedule repaired, do the repairs and have them done on time.  It's not long before a very good mechanic becomes a very bad mechanic.  Did they lie.  I don't think so, they just didn't understand what they were getting into. The same with these Boot people.  They appeared on the Web with outstanding reviews and next thing you know they are overwhelmed and making commitments they cannot keep and do not understand the need for  or understand communications.  I have never dealt with them but. based on what I have read, they are not bad folks, just over their head right now.  Personally I hope they stay small and enjoy what they are doing.  But having said that Kevin, I do agree with you.  I just think "lie" is a bit harsh.  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:59:38 AM by dilligaf »

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
One thing's for certain, it doesn't matter if it's mom and pop or Steve Jobs, etc., if they aren't doing a good job of doing what they say it's not good for the customer.  I love the mom and pop stores (I'm one of them), but they aren't always qualified to get it right.  Sounds like Gasolina is not doing what it needs to be doing to get it right.  If their supplier is overwhelmed, that's wrong.  If mom can't put more than a couple hours a day on the computer, that's wrong.  Sounds like they grew too fast to me and didn't have a solution in place.  They are paying the price now.  Lying to your customers about timelines and poor communication is a worse problem than being honest and upfront about ACTUAL timelines.  I wouldn't give them the time of day.
-Kevin 

+1

If their supplier is overwhelmed then it may be time to find a new one. For small batches it shouldn't be that hard to find someone, assuming the patterns are good, shit, there are many places in L.A. that do sample runs for designers/stores and they should be more than able to make a few jackets here and there - although at a cost a bit higher than a factory.

If they are too busy for their size, and the product is good when they get it, then it may be time to charge more and make more money while cutting a little demand.

If mom can't spend more time than that, and assuming they are making money, it may be time to hire on another person.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Kevin,

They appeared on the Web with outstanding reviews and next thing you know they are overwhelmed and making commitments they cannot keep and do not understand the need for  or understand communications.  I have never dealt with them but. based on what I have read, they are not bad folks, just over their head right now.  Matt

I've seen similar things happen over and over in the financial arena for a business.   My wife has helped several small companies (<10 people mom and pop sized) analyze the reasons why they appear to be going broke, when they are very busy and have an order backlog and APPEAR to be making plenty of money.

And the answer is always CASH FLOW.   They have good margins, making money on every transaction, good order backlog, but they are not collecting their bills as fast as they are having to pay their creditors, and they run out of cash to run the business and have to quit, and never figure out why ....

Good people working hard, but don't make it.   It's a shame ... probably will happen to this place.   They look like they have good stuff.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Good people working hard, but don't make it.   It's a shame ... probably will happen to this place.   They look like they have good stuff.

Lannis

Anyone can do good work, but not anyone can run a business. I don't feel bad for the company, the family, or anyone. It's a free market, they don't seem like they are running a good business, and eventually the market will decide if they will be around or not.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Kevin,
I agree.  I can only wonder how many mechanics who were unhappy  with the money they were making compared to the shop rate quit and opened up their own shop only to discover to their horror they had to pay the overhead, talk to some really dumb people, schedule repaired, do the repairs and have them done on time.  It's not long before a very good mechanic becomes a very bad mechanic.  Did they lie.  I don't think so, they just didn't understand what they were getting into. The same with these Boot people.  They appeared on the Web with outstanding reviews and next thing you know they are overwhelmed and making commitments they cannot keep and do not understand the need for  or understand communications.  I have never dealt with them but. based on what I have read, they are not bad folks, just over their head right now.  Personally I hope they stay small and enjoy what they are doing.  But having said that Kevin, I do agree with you.  I just think "lie" is a bit harsh.  :BEER:
Matt

If it's been more than a month of broken promises, they are fibbing. I've been there with less than enough inventory and months of orders outstanding.  I tell customers realistic timelines and communicate along the way. I have never had a customer complain. Waiting for something good is not a problem in most peoples minds, but when the time passes their estimates and nobody is proactive in communicating to the customer this is called very poor customer service. They are now having to be reactive and what they say sounds like they're in over their head.  I would worry if I had something on order from them. I think Rick is wise to pull the plug. I hope they find solutions to their troubles.
Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

dilligaf

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
After looking at their WebPage I'm not all that sure THEY are the one with the problem.  ::)  I'll bet they are 20 years behind working 25 hour a week trying to catch up.  ;-T I hope this is the case and good on them.   ;D Not sure that I'm not just a little envious.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt

Red Dog

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
They are not a "new" company, they have been around a long time.  It has been at least three years since the foul up with me maybe even 4 years.  If that was during their "start up" time then they sure showed no business savvy in the way they treated me and they also set the business model of "Customer No Service" they have apparently followed.

Sounds to me like time has just made them worse.  I am a "Mom & Pop" store also going on 18 years now.  I was "raised" in business as my parents were always self employed so I learned from an early age how to treat customers.  The Secret?  Treat them like you want to be treated!!!!

I appreciate the people on this forum who are trying to find reasons to be gentle & understanding with these folks but in my book there is no excuse for bad behavior.  Making excuses, not accepting responsibility for mistakes, not being up front with a customer about delivery times etc is all bad behavior.

dilligaf

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
Red Dog wrote: "They are not a "new" company, they have been around a long time".

What ever they are doing it appears to be working.  ;-T  Sure looks to me they have developed a business model that suites them just find.  :o  Maybe they need to start reading Wild Guzzi so they can see how F**ked Up they are.  ;D  :BEER:
Matt

Red Dog

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
Red Dog wrote: "They are not a "new" company, they have been around a long time".

What ever they are doing it appears to be working.  ;-T  Sure looks to me they have developed a business model that suites them just find.  :o  Maybe they need to start reading Wild Guzzi so they can see how F**ked Up they are.  ;D  :BEER:
Matt

Hey Dilli!  Why don't you try ordering from them & see what happens? 

I actually thought your other post about going to their web site was a bit of sarcasm, like anyone can really tell how well a company is run from looking at a web site??!!  But I actually think your serious.......  Oh Well each to his own I guess, it keeps the world interesting.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »
Hey Dilli!  Why don't you try ordering from them & see what happens? 

I actually thought your other post about going to their web site was a bit of sarcasm, like anyone can really tell how well a company is run from looking at a web site??!!  But I actually think your serious.......  Oh Well each to his own I guess, it keeps the world interesting.

Dilli just thinks that having a lot of orders and screwing people along the way is a successful business model.  He's envious for some apparent reason. 
-Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

dilligaf

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
They do not offer anything I am in the market for at the present time nor did they have anything I was interested in two or three years ago when I first learned of them from Wild Guzzi.  :(  The webpage is as I remember it so they must  be doing  something right.  The owner says he is having fun.  Good for him.  ;-T  Having fun while earning a living has something going for it or at least I think it does. Currently I am both leather jacket and boot poor so I won't be in the market any time soon and since I had good luck with Sidi I'll probably stay with them.
Dilli just thinks that having a lot of orders and screwing people along the way is a successful business model.  He's envious for some apparent reason.  
-Kevin
No Kevin you are mistaken.  How are they staying in business if they are screwing all these folks over expectedly with all the social media available to us to express our displeasure.  And that sir is what I am envious of. :BEER:
Matt    

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Thread drift...Vanson is having their fall sale this weekend: 18% off most of their stuff. I think all of their leather jackets are being made in the USA again.

Pricey (their jackets are about 2x the cost of Gasolinas) but nice and should last a lifetime.

Rich A

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
They do not offer anything I am in the market for at the present time nor did they have anything I was interested in two or three years ago when I first learned of them from Wild Guzzi.  :(  The webpage is as I remember it so they must  be doing  something right.  The owner says he is having fun.  Good for him.  ;-T  Having fun while earning a living has something going for it or at least I think it does. Currently I am both leather jacket and boot poor so I won't be in the market any time soon and since I had good luck with Sidi I'll probably stay with them.No Kevin you are mistaken.  How are they staying in business if they are screwing all these folks over expectedly with all the social media available to us to express our displeasure.  And that sir is what I am envious of. :BEER:
Matt    

Matt,
     They are screwing with customers and making their lives more difficult by not coming close on their delivery times.  Take Rick now for instance.  He has had no response from his contact with them and now is going through the process of trying to get his money back.  If time were money, Rick would be spending plenty of it.  Oh... but it's not in your mind, and he is only slightly inconvenienced by something he should trust they will be good for... someday.  They must be doing something right??  Yeah... with people like you who care to give them the time of day because you see they have a nice looking website and that they have people lined up to get their stuff.  Some investment guys made things look rosy for awhile also with good returns, etc. until the facade all came crashing down.  They did great for awhile... until... P:)
Go visit them in jail and see how envious you are of their millions they had.
-Kevin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:47:27 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Well, Folks, I got my $310. back through paypal. Here is the response Gasolina sent me ......

Hi Richard,

Sorry for not getting back to you.

The shop that makes our jackets has not given us any orders. We are moving to a new manufacturer who can complete our orders in a timely manner. We apologize for the wait and lack of communication.

A Refund was issued.

The company is definitely having some problems. I for one will not order from them again, and thats too bad, as they make some cool products at a good price point. Had they informed me ,or at least answered my emails , I would hold a better opinion of them.

Rick.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
If you want a custom made jacket, made in the US, from an established and reputable company, why not try Langlitz. Family business, same building for 50 years. Costs more.

I'm all for Hecho in US when I can find it. Doesn't always work out (I got boned by Helimot), but I feel better about it than getting something sewn up in China or Pakistan.
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
 :+=copcar  schott for jackets--falco for boots :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here