Author Topic: Disc Lock for T3, etc  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
Disc Lock for T3, etc
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
Does anyone know of a disc lock that will fit over the solid discs on the "T", "T3", "T4", etc. It needs to be about 8mm where the disc fits into the slot as there is a ridge towards the centre of the disc. The slot in the disc lock would also need to be about 54mm long to reach through to the inner hole/gap on the inner part of the disc. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
What would happen if you just drilled a few holes? Honestly. I have no idea. So if it's bad please don't go and do it. Would it crack or something?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:31:29 AM »
What would happen if you just drilled a few holes? Honestly. I have no idea. So if it's bad please don't go and do it. Would it crack or something?

I would not like to drill holes in the disc as I want the bike to be as original as possible. Thanks for the suggestion though.

In the picture below the arrow points to the area (dark circle) that is a raised section on the disc which measures 7.62mm and this is what the disc lock would have to slide over.

Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Disc Lock for T3, etc
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:45 AM »
Its a Guzzi. You can leave the keys in the ignition and nobody will steal it.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:45 AM »

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:59 AM »
Its a Guzzi. You can leave the keys in the ignition and nobody will steal it.

Or I could just remove the front wheel each time I leave it unattended.
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »
Disc locks, chains, cables alarms are all good at one thing....keeping honest people honest. For a thief there are but small stumbling blocks that will not keep them from doing as they intend.

The good news is Guzzi's are not desirable to steal.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »
Sorry, I have no direct answer, but here's another possible solution -- I am building a hydraulic parking brake into my trike.  It's a valve that is installed in the brake line.  You press the valve  knob and the brakes lock.  Press again to unlock.  The valve is about $25.  It can be installed so it's handy but not obvious.

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
Sorry, I have no direct answer, but here's another possible solution -- I am building a hydraulic parking brake into my trike.  It's a valve that is installed in the brake line.  You press the valve  knob and the brakes lock.  Press again to unlock.  The valve is about $25.  It can be installed so it's handy but not obvious.

Thanks for the info.

Can you provide pics and/or availability of the unit please? Guess they wouldn't have them here in Oz so a U.S. supplier details would be appreciated. Again thanks.
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Lock-for-Sand-Rail-Dune-Buggy-from-Latest-Rage-/191493956980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c95ede574

This is an example of the device -- all are more or less the same look and cost.  The differences are that some have 1/8"npt fittings and some are metric.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
If you think your bike might be stolen then I guess I'd go for an alarmed system of some sort.

When I asked the cops around here about it, they said most bike thefts are not deterred by locks.  The thieves just pick the bike up (or tip it over onto a heavy pad), put it in a van/trailer and drive off. 

I've never had a 'popular' bike so have not used any of these theft deterrent devices.  My first bike didn't have a keyed ignition switch (the factory one broke).  It had a 'master' circuit breaker just under the seat.  Reach under, switch it on and go.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies. The widest mouth on a disc lock I can find is for 7mm disc and less. Nothing bigger and I need 8mm to be able to fit over my disc and lock properly. I am after a disc lock with an alarm included.
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »
Well I finally found a disc lock that would fit. It does not have an alarm attached to it but it will fit the T3 front disc and cause some deterrent to would be thieves. The throat depth is 57mm and the throat clearance (i.e. disc width is 10mm) so should fit fine. I will not have it for a few weeks as it has to come from the States. I will report back then as to how it fits. See link at bottom of post if interested.

Below is description from the disc lock's criteria off the web.:

"Onguard's 5052 Boxer is a full size Stapler type disc lock. It will pretty much fit on all motorcycle and most scooter brake discs. With a 10mm locking pin and longer reach it is slightly larger than it's little cousin 5051. As is the case with most Onguard products, it also comes with 5 keys, a handy carry bag and bright orange reminder cord.

Easy push lock mechanism
10mm locking pin
5 keys, 1 with LED micro light
Highly pick resistant M-cylinder
Storage bag included
Reminder cord included
Dimensions:
57 mm - 2 1/4" throat (pin to end)
10mm - 11/32" vertical clearance (maximum disc thickness)

- See more at: http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/DLON5052.html#sthash.XqoThRUt.dpuf"
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »
I thought like you one time. Had that disc lock and for some reason I had faith that I had a good memory.
However, one time I took the missus for a meal down in Hamilton Newcastle. We got chatting with some folk and were buzzing when we came out.
Got on the bike, started her up, gave her a small rev to go and BANG we were on our asses, she hit the ground with her hand which hurt a lot, me just down on the shoulder.
Bloody disc lock!  Serious embarrassment. And a very sore arm.
Upon inspection I had cracked the disc.  The brake caliper had to be taken off, a large allen key was taped between the pads to take the brake grab so the other brakes still worked, so we rode home.
Cost about $350 for another disc and when we got home I was horrified that the disc could have actually fallen apart while we were riding and caused major catastrophe, even death.

Word! Leave the disc lock in the drawer! My Guzzi has never been stolen. I leave the keys in it at the shop. If they want it they will have it on the truck. Insure it with Shannons and relax man.

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:44:26 AM »
I thought like you one time. Had that disc lock and for some reason I had faith that I had a good memory.
However, one time I took the missus for a meal down in Hamilton Newcastle. We got chatting with some folk and were buzzing when we came out.
Got on the bike, started her up, gave her a small rev to go and BANG we were on our asses, she hit the ground with her hand which hurt a lot, me just down on the shoulder.
Bloody disc lock!  Serious embarrassment. And a very sore arm.
Upon inspection I had cracked the disc.  The brake caliper had to be taken off, a large allen key was taped between the pads to take the brake grab so the other brakes still worked, so we rode home.
Cost about $350 for another disc and when we got home I was horrified that the disc could have actually fallen apart while we were riding and caused major catastrophe, even death.

Word! Leave the disc lock in the drawer! My Guzzi has never been stolen. I leave the keys in it at the shop. If they want it they will have it on the truck. Insure it with Shannons and relax man.

Point taken Luthier,
A couple of points from my side of the Pacific. I would only be using it to lock my Guzzi when it's in my shed as an extra precaution. I would never use it when I'm out and about. I am never far from my bikes when they are parked in the street. Usually just having coffee. The other point is that people these days use reminder cables, so as soon as they put a hand on the throttle they are reminded to take the disc lock off the wheel.
So even though I would like to have an alarm on this disc lock I will have to settle for one that doesn't have this function due to the peculiar disc format on the T3.
Thanks for your comments though. Appreciated.
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 05:03:51 AM »
Point taken Luthier,
A couple of points from my side of the Pacific. I would only be using it to lock my Guzzi when it's in my shed as an extra precaution. I would never use it when I'm out and about. I am never far from my bikes when they are parked in the street. Usually just having coffee. The other point is that people these days use reminder cables, so as soon as they put a hand on the throttle they are reminded to take the disc lock off the wheel.
So even though I would like to have an alarm on this disc lock I will have to settle for one that doesn't have this function due to the peculiar disc format on the T3.

How many break-ins has you shed had while you were home? A disc lock or alarm will do nothing if you are not there to do something about it. Anymore people are oblivious to alarms. Ever go the store and hear a car alarm going off? Did you rush over to see what was going on or did you just continue about your day? 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 05:31:34 AM »
I concede defeat. I've wasted my money then. End of conversation.
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
I use a lock when I leave home for a few days.  I use one of the Kryptonite ones.  No, it does not deter many thieves, but, it will stop the neighborhood kids from hotwiring the bike and going for a joy ride.

Like you I use a 'reminder' cord.  Tied to the lock and the throttle grip.

When on the road I don't use anything like that.  But, I have thought about a tamper alarm, like the ones on those disk locks.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »
Point taken Luthier,

Maybe we are on the same side of the Pacific mate. I live in the Hunter Valley and you are in Sydney.  I have a T3 and my discs are drilled. But where I live we don't get many burglaries. I'd suggest CCTV cameras with signs to alert crims to the pissabolity of having their asses on youtube. They will prefer yer neighbour , guaranteed.

Offline Guzzi_Don

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
Maybe we are on the same side of the Pacific mate. I live in the Hunter Valley and you are in Sydney.  I have a T3 and my discs are drilled. But where I live we don't get many burglaries. I'd suggest CCTV cameras with signs to alert crims to the pissabolity of having their asses on youtube. They will prefer yer neighbour , guaranteed.

Do you have any pics you can post of your front discs?
Cheers

Don

1981 Moto Guzzi 850-T4
1977 Suzuki GS550/700
1991 Suzuki VX800

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here