Author Topic: MOAB trip route questions  (Read 8492 times)

guzziv7fan

MOAB trip route questions
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
Leaving Sacramento area late May or June.

Going to take 50 east to 70 and then 191 south down to MOAB area. After the MOAB visit exit going 191 south to 163 south/east, then connect into 98 west and 89 west, on back via 15 north to 50 east and back home.

My question is what do the gas stops look like on my route. I don't own a GPS unit. I'm aware of a couple long legs on 50 but have never been on 191 or 163 before. Looking at a map it looks as if gas stops could be an issue on both 191/163.

Also if someone who travelled this route before can see what i'm trying to do.... what do you think of the route selection and would there be a better way to do this?

My main concern.. gas legs. I hit reserve between 115/125 depending on conditions.

I don't like to carry an extra gas bottle, feel it's awkward to carry since I have no rack on this bike. I'll just be using some textile throw over saddle bags, along with sleeping bag, tent, inflatable mattress, etc. Only tools will be to tighten up the chain, electrical repair parts and basic hand tools.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:09:16 PM by guzziv7fan »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: MOAB trip route questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:25 AM »
I think the longest between gas stations might be around 100 miles on 50. Southern Utah is now my favorite spot in the US. Your route would be fine as it goes through Monument Valley you and should be able to catch Zion on the way back to 15. Even more scenic would be to take 95 west from Blanding to 24 and then 12 south. Scenery changes every 50 miles or so. It takes you through Escalante Staircase and Bryce. Eye popping stuff. Have fun.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:34:57 AM by PeteS »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »
What is the range on your bike? My Norton Fastback was good for about 150 miles and only once did I run out but was able to coast into a station. All my current riders are good for 225-260+ miles so no worries.

Pete

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
'70 Bonneville.  ;-T Good for you. I think I would be getting one of those Rotopax if you already have a luggage rack. Pretty sturdy and double as a rack themselves.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
There's gas in Blanding and Mexican Hat and if I remember correctly also in Kayenta - well worth exploring all of these areas by the way...hope you go thru the Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods.     Some of the absolute best scenery in the world there.  You could also get a good TomTom GPS for $100...well worth it, and another vote for the Rotopaxes....they are excellent products.  If you have time as well to head back up towards Lake Powell...by all means top in at Antelope Canyon...not to be missed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:56:59 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

dilligaf

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
Allow me, if I may, to make a recommendation.  Take paper maps.  When you get into camp and after supper use your map to plan the next days ride. When you preplan the entire ride the plan soon falls apart and is, for the most part, useless.  A whole lot more fun.  Why KOA?  :BEER:
Matt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
On US-191,US-163, and AZ-98, you will find fuel and other services at:

Moab, UT
Monticello, UT  (54 miles)
Blanding, UT  (21 miles)
Bluff, UT  (26 miles)
Mexican Hat, UT  (25 miles)
Kayenta, AZ  (43 miles)
Page, AZ  (100 miles)

The run up AZ-98 is pretty sparse and you will want to be topped up at Kayenta, as I don't know of any stations that might be open between Kayenta and Page other than Black Mesa Station about 20 miles SW of Kayenta on US-160.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »
Also if someone who travelled this route before can see what i'm trying to do.... what do you think of the route selection and would there be a better way to do this?

If you're not hung up on seeing Northern Arizona, then there are a couple of routes in SE Utah that would be really scenic:

UT-95 route:  https://goo.gl/maps/X1IOU

Cedar Mesa UT-261 and Hall's Crossing UT-276:  https://goo.gl/maps/mcTdj

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Bill Havins

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »
Allow me, if I may, to make a recommendation.  Take paper maps.  When you get into camp and after supper use your map to plan the next days ride. When you preplan the entire ride the plan soon falls apart and is, for the most part, useless.  A whole lot more fun.  Why KOA?  :BEER:
Matt

:+1 ;-T  I keep a paper map in the clear window of my tank bag.  I talk to the locals each evening to get their input on the best sights and routes for the next day.  And I ask about eating places, camping places, and motels.  You get "the real skinny" that way, and discover some sights, food, and people you might have otherwise missed.

You probably have a GPS on your smart phone; leave it in your pocket and talk with the locals.

Have a good trip!

Bill

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
If you plan to spend a few days in Moab, you might want to check out Dead Horse Point (rt. 313 north of Moab) and Castle Valley (rt.128 at the north end of Moab). Both good rides and Dead Horse Point is quite scenic.

In my opinion, you are missing THE two best roads in southern Utah: rt. 24 through Capital Reef to Torrey and then rt. 12 through Escalante to Bryce Canyon.

Regardless, the routes you have selected are very nice.

Have a great trip,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
The run up AZ-98 is pretty sparse and you will want to be topped up at Kayenta, as I don't know of any stations that might be open between Kayenta and Page other than Black Mesa Station about 20 miles SW of Kayenta on US-160.

There's this one (on 98 and north of the 98/160 intersection), which is probably open most of the time.

I think you'll be fine for fuel, but you're going to be thinking about it all the time.  Ordinarily, I would suggest the US-6, NV-375 route back across Nevada (as a change from US-50), but that has a 195 mile stretch with no fuel.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:15:18 PM by Daniel Kalal »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »
I carry a copy of Roadfood when traveling. Its filled ith out of the way places you would more than likely pass by.
In Torrey check out the Capitol Reef Inn and Cafe. We stopped because it was in the book. Excellant food and somehat unique.

Pete

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
Mine is a 2005 edition by Jane and Michael Stern. I think there are newer editions. They also now have a website but while the Sterns made all contributions in their books, it appears most anyone can make recommendations on the website. We sought out 5 places mentioned in the book. All were good but 4 were outstanding and we probably would have passed them by had it not been for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadfood-Coast---Coast-Barbecue-Lobster/dp/0770434525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422670448&sr=1-1&keywords=Roadfood
Pete
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:15:43 PM by PeteS »

Frulk

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »
You give me solid dates when you're coming across from Blanding to Hanksville and I'll meet you on that road with gas and some cold ones. I'm on that road about every 2 months minimum. It's hands down one of the best stretches of black top in Utah and that's saying something. I'll be in Moab mid May...Floating The Green River for 9 days from I-70 to the Colorado confluence...if dates align could swing down out of Moab and hook up with you

Here's a pic from the Hite overlook on the way to Hanksville

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
I am pretty sure you can get gas at Hite. Thats where 95 crosses the Colorado River. The station is not on the main road but about mile from it. There is a boat launch there.

Pete

Frulk

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »
Last three times I stopped at Hite..Sept, Oct and Dec of this year the pumps weren't functional. Small store there was closed and didn't see anybody around (although the few houses there for the BLM or Nat Parks folks appeared to be occupied). The boat ramp is several hundred yards out of the water right now. Unless Lake Powell comes up significantly I don't see the store and pumps opening up anytime soon.

Frulk

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
The boat ramp is out of the water by at least 500 yards. Boats can't launch or dock or gas up there unless we have a SIGNIFICANT snow melt this year. The Colorado is once again flowing in it's historical riverbed. Most likely folks are driving to Hanksville for gas. PM me. I'll provide all the local info you need. I'll be around Hite in Feb and confirm status of pumps.

A picture's worth a thousand words. That's the ramp at the Marina. I took that pic 3.5 months ago

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:28:31 PM by Frulk »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »

Found a little snag in the plan.

Blanding Utah to Hanksville Utah is 129 miles distance, not sure about the gas stop distance.

Nah.  It's downhill into Hanksville the last couple miles.

Last time I was there, we fueled in Blanding and my buddy on his Honda Superhawk ran out of gas and coasted the last mile into the station at Hanksville!  It's not a steep downhill, but if you have some speed, you can make it!

:bike
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
The boat ramp is out of the water by at least 500 yards. Boats can't launch or dock or gas up there unless we have a SIGNIFICANT snow melt this year. The Colorado is once again flowing in it's historical riverbed. Most likely folks are driving to Hanksville for gas. PM me. I'll provide all the local info you need. I'll be around Hite in Feb and confirm status of pumps.

A picture's worth a thousand words. That's the ramp at the Marina. I took that pic 3.5 months ago

:+1

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 05:24:35 AM »
The Colorado River canyon road running Northeast (upriver) from Moab is fantastic (there are campsites along the river there), and the little side trip to Castle Valley nearby is worthwhile.  That part of the world is an amazing place.  There are campsites on the river downstream from town we used a couple of years ago. 

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:18 AM »
Any good beer micro stuff in Moab?

Yes; it's called the Moab Brewery.  Moab is the Telluride of Utah (or fill in any other upscale attractive tourist town); you'll be able to get most anything you want.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:18:33 AM by Daniel Kalal »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here