Author Topic: And yet another bearing race removal problem (blind bearing)  (Read 4867 times)

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
And yet another bearing race removal problem (blind bearing)
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »
First of all, I wanted to thank you for  advice on removing my inner race bearings on my transmission shafts!  Eventually we got them out.  Now, I have another problem, I have the outer race of a bearing stuck in the transmission case.  This is the layshaft bearing.  I've used heat (propane), wax, and a blind puller.  It won't budge at all!  The other bearings fell out like butter with the transmission cases heated.  I don't have a good angle with my 1/4" carbide bit on my pneumatic grinder.  At this point, I'm lost and need your ideas!  Otherwise, I might just have to make a stop at the machine shop next week.  Thanks,
Nate

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: And yet another bearing race removal problem (blind bearing)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
Put the case in the oven @225ºf for about 15 minutes with the blind race in a droppable position (facing down).  You'll hear the 'tink' when the race falls out.  If you're quick, you can drop the new race in while it's still hot.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Put the case in the oven @225ºf for about 15 minutes with the blind race in a droppable position (facing down).  You'll hear the 'tink' when the race falls out.  If you're quick, you can drop the new race in while it's still hot.
Thanks Rodekyll,
I tried that yesterday, but 350f for two hours.  Super warm case!  The bearing still wouldn't budge with a blind puller!  So I took a propane torch while the case was still hot, and heated up the aluminum (boss?) that retains the bearing, with a torch while tapping on the other side of the bearing, but to no avail.  Then I brought out my grinder with a sa-9 carbide bit out of desperation, but I couldn't get a good angle as the front trans case is too deep.  This was probably a good thing I didn't try to cut it!
The previous history of the transmission is that it had been rebuilt 20 years ago.  I'm wondering if they used a liquid bearing retainer? 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
The heat should break any retainer compound.  The other option I can think of, if you can't get a grinder on it, is to use a blind race puller.  These can be bought or rented, or maybe a shop would use theirs for a nominal fee.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
Rodekyll,  how hot should the retaining  bearing be to break the permabond?  I've also tried a blind puller with the heat being applied.  I didn't use anything bigger than a propane torch as I was afraid to mess with the integrity of the aluminum
Dusty, thats a good idea, if I can't get it out by monday I'll go to my supply store and pick up dry ice pellets

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
Direct heat from a torch is going to heat the local area much hotter than the oven did.  Usually a quick shot of torch is all it takes to break a loc-tite-type bond, and of course you don't want to apply direct heat in greater temp or time than it takes to do the job.  Is the race staked or peened into its bore?  Is there any evidence of a bonding agent/jb weld/etc having been used?

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
Direct heat from a torch is going to heat the local area much hotter than the oven did.  Usually a quick shot of torch is all it takes to break a loc-tite-type bond, and of course you don't want to apply direct heat in greater temp or time than it takes to do the job.  Is the race staked or peened into its bore?  Is there any evidence of a bonding agent/jb weld/etc having been used?
Rodekyll, where the boss is there is a small channel between the outer race and boss, the size of a small flathead tip.  I did see some powder come out, but not much.  Thats why I'm thinking it might have a retaining compound.  The bearing shows no mark signs of being staked or peened.  Maybe I need a blind puller with a 50lb  slide! :)  Anyways, still perplexed

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
If you can get to it run a small bead of weld around the inside of the bearing. When the weld cools it will contract the bearing and it should fall out. When I have had the fore thought a few times I remember to put something below the weld so I would have something to pull on if it needed a budge.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
Curtis, I heard of that technique, sounds pretty solid.  Maybe weld a nut in the middle and use a slide hammer too?

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:46 PM »
If you can get to it run a small bead of weld around the inside of the bearing. When the weld cools it will contract the bearing and it should fall out. When I have had the fore thought a few times I remember to put something below the weld so I would have something to pull on if it needed a budge.

:+1

When all else fails...... this will work

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:49:47 AM »
:+1

When all else fails...... this will work

Yeah, *if* you can get to it..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here