Author Topic: Griso dash issue  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Griso dash issue
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
I've had the battery disconnected to change the shock. Now I cant set the time. In the mode position I am getting a blank screen. Sure I've heard of this before. Any ideas?

pete roper

Re: Griso dash issue
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
When you turn on the ignition is the dash doing it's 'Christmas Tree' lightshow and the tachometer sweeping?

Pete

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
Yes. All seems normal. And trip 1 and trip 2, and speedo are working fine. Clock shows 00:00 am.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
Did you also have the tank off?  If so, follow the cable from the LH switch block to where it joins the main loom under the tank.  Perhaps you disturbed something.

Incidentally, I notice that the functions for this switch on Carl Alison's wiring diagram differ from the diagram supplied by MG.  That doesn't help.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
The selection switch is working because you can go into the mode screen. The actual connectors between the switch and the dash (including near the tank) seem unlikely to be a problem, given their construction, and given that you said you had only disconnected the battery.

That leaves the dash itself, I think. It could be you have a marginal electrical problem in it (maybe associated with condensation) that is showing up. I think I had the same failure on my Griso a single time, long before I coated the dash's PCB. At the time, I "cured" the problem by disconnecting the battery and waiting overnight.

Even though you just had the battery disconnected, you might try the overnight disconnection trick. It could be a transient problem that will go away. I can't think of anything else to try, short of taking the PCB out of the dash and down to a phone repair shop for cleaning and coating, which I recommend.

I suppose if you think the dash could be wet right now due to condensation, you could try to dry it out by making sure the bike is in a dry environment and then just waiting. It is possible a droplet of water has condensed from the air and is bridging two circuits. The dash gets wet when the temperature goes down if there has been moisture in the air.

Moto
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:29:32 PM by Moto »

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
The selection switch is working because you can go into the mode screen. The actual connectors between the switch and the dash (including near the tank) seem unlikely to be a problem, given their construction, and given that you said you had only disconnected the battery.

That leaves the dash itself, I think. It could be you have a marginal electrical problem in it (maybe associated with condensation) that is showing up. I think I had the same failure on my Griso a single time, long before I coated the dash's PCB. At the time, I "cured" the problem by disconnecting the battery and waiting overnight.

Even though you just had the battery disconnected, you might try the overnight disconnection trick. It could be a transient problem that will go away. I can't think of anything else to try, short of taking the PCB out of the dash and down to a phone repair shop for cleaning and coating, which I recommend.

I suppose if you think the dash could be wet right now due to condensation, you could try to dry it out by making sure the bike is in a dry environment and then just waiting. It is possible a droplet of water has condensed from the air and is bridging two circuits. The dash gets wet when the temperature goes down if there has been moisture in the air.

Moto

Yeah - that worked.

Disconnected the battery and left it in the garage overnight. Reconnected this morning and everything is working as it should.

Thanks guys.

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
I've got exactly this problem again. I changed the battery, and now I have a blank screen on "mode". Trip 1 and trip 2 are fine, the odo reading is fine, and the bike starts and runs fine. Switch on routine is good, with tacho sweep and idiot light xmas tree display.

I'm going to try disconnecting the battery and try again. Again.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:07:20 AM by Trogladyte »

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
And as if by magic, it's working again. And all without disconnecting the battery again.

If this happens to you, try this: switch the bike off. Give it a minute for the voltages to drain off. Then switch to "mode" with the power off. Switch it back on, so that it boots up in "mode".

This may be a random effect, but it worked for me, so has to be worth a try.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
Who set's the clock? 

Sweet Baby Jesus I've had my tanks off and batteries disconnected so many times that I never bother anymore.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
I'd agree that its hardly the end of the world. But I like to know the time when I'm on my way to work every morning. I don't normally do that on the Griso, as its my second bike right now, but I do from time to time.

Moto

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
Given your foggy location, I suspect you are getting intermittent shorts from condensation. I don't recall this particular kind of problem leading to permanent failure. If it does fail completely it would be good to post this fact for the benefit of others.

Moto
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:03:27 AM by Moto »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here