Author Topic: Hopefully you don't get yours stolen.  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
Re: Hopefully you don't get yours stolen.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 01:20:37 PM »
Reminds me of a few years back, when the prices of scrap metal were very high, and thieves would rip open vacant houses and buildings to steal copper wiring. I was working out at Ft. Dix around that time and the ranges were relatively open then. There are hulks of old APCs and other vehicles that serve as targets on mortar/grenade/machinegun ranges.  We were going out to one such place to set up our stuff we were working on one morning and there's a couple of seedy characters trying to push out a stuck pickup truck with a bunch of metal in the back. Including dud 40mm grenade rounds  :shocked:
Not the brightest guys, and plainly not ex-military. We called the DoD coppers who came along with the MPs and NJSP, after we advised these geniuses to leave their stuff lest the 40mm rounds decide to become ert all of a sudden when jostled around. Just such a  thing had happened a few weeks earlier with a 60mm mortar dud that a reservist had picked up to show his goombahs. They and him were wowed into the next life.
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »
  SOP in Mexico. If you take your car to any shop for any reason the converter will get cut out and a pipe welded in its place. People just shrug their shoulders and say it is what it is. Very few cars there have a converter. That was my experience about 5-6 years ago.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
I had to swap the cat on my godson's Honda Element when it started failing emissions testing...  Thanks to these damn meth heads, I can't even sell the thing in NC due to the safeguards they have put in place.

We have had tons of these thefts here, the cops are working on it, but when have they ever prevented a crime vs. investigating it after the fact?  With a cordless angle grinder these guys can have one off in a matter of minutes. It makes a hell of a racket, but it's so quick, they are gone before LEO's arrive.

There are TONS of toyota prius here, about every 5th one you pass is driving down the road sounding like a top fuel dragster cause someone hacked out their converter.  Supposedly the prius is one of the easiest to access quickly and snatch it.

I was at a machine shop next to a landscape business a few weeks back. The dude said the landscapers got hit and like 8 of their trucks had their cats stolen... The owner had them all replaced and took several to the welder shop down the road to have plates or rebar or some such welded in to shield them from another attack...  The little dope fiends came in the night and stole all the brand-new ones off the trucks while they were sitting at the welder's place awaiting the mods!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 01:46:15 PM »
We had three ripped off in one night where I work. Now we have cameras EVERYWHERE!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 01:51:47 PM »
Yeah, it's happened in the NE Ohio area in the last few weeks...one of the places was a school bus parking lot, car dealer, etc.  Gotta love those battery powered sawzall's.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 01:59:25 PM »
Where I live there is an increased risk to participate in criminal activity. 

Crime tends to stay in the city limits or perpetrated on acquaintances of the criminals. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 03:26:01 PM »
Been happening in the Philly area recently. A few weeks ago, they pulled one off of a car at a suburban shopping center in the afternoon. Threatened the woman owner that confronted them.

https://6abc.com/catalytic-converter-montgomery-county-theft-giant-parking-lot-maple-glen-crime/11140636/
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 03:47:48 PM »
I thought stolen catalytic converters and copper wire/plates from buildings etc. was a EU thing only. Same shit in US?   :shocked:
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber -2021
Moto Guzzi V7 Special -1971
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Honda Black Widow 750 -2001
Aprilia Leonardo 125 -1999

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 04:05:34 PM »
We are seeing it in eastern Tennessee too.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 04:42:44 PM »
If this thread goes away there’s no need to ask why.
If you had a post removed there is also no need to ask why because you already know.

Dan

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »
Part of my past job involved interviewing convicts and when it came to the question of past employment the usual answer was "scrapper" as in they sold metal to recyclers. There was a radio report of one such scrapper who tried to steal the copper from a transfomer with expected results. The fire captain said he wasn't just dead, he was"burnt turkey dead".
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »
Had mine ripped off at the hotel when in IL for moms funeral.  Didn't replace it, no testing here. Not getting  another.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
After several works vans were broken into, we now have cameras in out fenced in yard at work too. The only difference the cameras make is we can now watch the break in over and over instead of seeing the glass window smashed out once. To date zero arrests have been made even with video footage.

Trained guard dogs used to be a good deterrent.  Not sure what works with the emboldened criminals of today. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 07:12:54 AM »
Trained guard dogs used to be a good deterrent.  Not sure what works with the emboldened criminals of today.

I have ”heard rumors” that criminals use pepper spray on guard dogs, but just a rumor.  :copcar:
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber -2021
Moto Guzzi V7 Special -1971
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Honda Black Widow 750 -2001
Aprilia Leonardo 125 -1999

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
I have ”heard rumors” that criminals use pepper spray on guard dogs, but just a rumor.  :copcar:

I remember guys training their dogs with pepper spray.  The dogs would just lap it up.  The smart dogs would not rush the fence.  They would wait until the person was inside before leaving their spot. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
Before I retired as an electrical contractor about 7 years ago one of my customers was the one of the largest auto recyclers in western NY state . Thieves were constantly breaking into yard to steal convertors from wrecked cars..So this is not a new problem...And to make it worse, a local scrap yard was doing radio commercials stating highest prices paid for used convertors...

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 09:11:49 AM »
As a K9 handler and trainer I’ve trained several “fence dogs” for business in my area. In fact over the past 25 years I have trained 4 dogs for 1 business, Piedmont Sheet Metal. Prior to the dogs they had their service trucks robbed almost every weekend. The first dog I placed there was poisoned before I could apply poison proof training. The dog lived and I completed the training. The next Monday morning pieces of clothing and blood was found at near the fence line.
Prior to placing the dog they contacted their insurance co and the company said they would probably cancel them. The owner told them to drop dead because the company could not turn in any more claims because the insurance Co threaten to cancel then the next claim they filed anyway.
To date, there had been no thieves that has entered their fenced end compound.
Like any other business, thieves also learn from others misfortunes.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:35:00 AM by Ncdan »

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:51 AM »
The Honda Element and other vehicles with additional ground clearance make for the easier mark's.
Slide in, slide out.
Would love to stomp catch someone in the middle of the act..
But, as has been stated here, this theft occurs in the blink of an eye.
There is a booming business in devices to slow these cretins down some..
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
I have heard of this, luckily not a victim.
I'm surprised the Primus is high on the list. Seems like a hard car to get under without a jack.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
I have heard of this, luckily not a victim.
I'm surprised the Primus is high on the list. Seems like a hard car to get under without a jack.
The convertor thieves at the auto recycle yard used Harbor Freight floor jacks.. They abandoned the jacks and sometimes the  reciprocating saws..On vehicles with stainless exhaust systems it's tough cutting without specialized blades... 
  Dogs, the yard owners told me dogs were not worth the potential liability issues in NY

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
Gosh, thats a very interesting story. I had no idea it was so big  a problem!I live in a small town  of 16K people on the border with Mexico. I have never heard of CC theft here, which surprises me. Maybe it has something to do with there being many more cars in the Mexican town, with about 160K people and alot more older cars, not to mention there are no emissions inspections here, on the US side or Mexican side. There are also no recyclers, or scrap metal places in this town, so stuff would have to be hauled probably 120 miles to Tucson to sell.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
Gosh, thats a very interesting story. I had no idea it was so big  a problem!I live in a small town  of 16K people on the border with Mexico. I have never heard of CC theft here, which surprises me. Maybe it has something to do with there being many more cars in the Mexican town, with about 160K people and alot more older cars, not to mention there are no emissions inspections here, on the US side or Mexican side. There are also no recyclers, or scrap metal places in this town, so stuff would have to be hauled probably 120 miles to Tucson to sell.
Rick.
It’s gotten so bad in the NC Piedmont area that departments have special task forces just to combat that particular issue.
Our church bus had one stolen. However the video from the cameras that I had installed a few months earlier delivered such perfect images that the SD actually caught the thieves. The detective, assigned to the case,  advised me the “punk”confessed to over 50 cases and that’s just the ones he could remember over a 6 month period.

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »
Just a WAG, but I think that the area that has shady converter buyers, would have a higher incidence.

In the greater Philly area, there must be buyers, that are supporting this activity. Stop buying the converters, or the melted metal, and this would probably dry up.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »
Catalytic converters for some Toyota's in this part of the world are about $1300 new so I guess if you get a couple of hundred for a scrap one it's easy money.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here