Author Topic: A bit of exciting news..  (Read 3999 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
A bit of exciting news..
« on: February 05, 2022, 05:32:11 AM »
I got a call today from my shipping agent regarding putting the Norge in a container (again), for Mandello.
I’ll need to have it at the docks mid March, that’s a hell of a lead time considering September is the target period, but something about trans shipments....
Anyway..
It doesn’t matter because I have the trail bike and it’ll be winter for most of the time it’s away.
While I was on my ‘round Australia trip on the Honda 110, I met a bloke whose Dad lives very near Mandello and he has a house with an empty ground floor.
Seems he’d just love to fill it with overseas Guzzi riders and was aghast when I suggested he take some money...(We shall see..).
Looking good though at this stage.
I’ll have to start the 200,000 k service on the bike now, time’s a wasting’...

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A bit of exciting news..
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »
What’s the cost difference between this plan and just renting a bike in Europe?Or buying a bike there?Back in the late 70s you could buy a new G5 and tour before shopping it home,do people do that anymore.I was planning todo that back then but I met my wife and got talked into buying a farm instead.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
 :coffee:
What’s the cost difference between this plan and just renting a bike in Europe?Or buying a bike there?Back in the late 70s you could buy a new G5 and tour before shopping it home,do people do that anymore.I was planning todo that back then but I met my wife and got talked into buying a farm instead.

Unless you’re yourself registered as resident in a European country you cannot register a vehicle in that country.  There are some work-arounds (having a trusted local friend and listing both of you on the title sometimes works) but generally buying a bike in Europe for a trip is difficult.  I’m not aware of any factory overseas delivery programs at this point, they seem to come and go.

Rental is very expensive, for a trip of any length you might need to budget $3K to rent a bike, although there are less costly options here and there, and for a long trip or multiple trips shipping your own bike might be cheaper.

The US registered bike I ride in Europe was already there when I bought it in 2006 for $3K.  I’ve ridden it all over on many trips and could ship it home, sell it to another resident of my US state someday, or just sell it locally as a parts bike.  Even accounting for storage cost it’s paid for itself many times over so at this point it doesn’t really matter financially!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:38:16 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 01:01:52 PM »
That sounds like a once in lifetime kinda deal. Hope it goes well.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 01:01:52 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 01:18:25 PM »
That sounds like a once in lifetime kinda deal. Hope it goes well.
Actually it’s dearer than usual.
This will be the sixth time it’s been, but having the rug pulled last year, has made it more desirable.

As for renting a bike..
Paul Harris in London

free image hosting
 and his lady Serena are people I stay with when there.
He owned a Guzzi dealership in Sarf London and Serena is Secretary of the Moto Guzzi Club in Surrey.
They have offered me bikes to ride there free, but I just want my Norge.
I considered taking the V85, but it has to be the Norge, just seems wrong not to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:30:30 PM by Huzo »

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 01:48:19 PM »
 6 th time, that's Dedication Huzo .
When I left Germany ,'a long while back ' ,sold the Guzzi to a Friend with option to ride when there.
But know when we go we just rent for 5-8 days ,works out less.
But if and when a longer trip will be possible ,it will be 'Fly and Ride' ,something Air Canada offers for around ~$ 1200 for the Bike .
For such to happen it needes to be a couple month minimum. At least for us .
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 03:14:01 PM »
5 months in storage?  I don't blame you for sending the Norge. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »
I’m usually there for 8 weeks.
I could arrange to leave early and be in Mandello at the end of the trip, but that wouldn’t feel the same.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 05:07:21 PM »
:coffee:
Unless you’re yourself registered as resident in a European country you cannot register a vehicle in that country.  There are some work-arounds (having a trusted local friend and listing both of you on the title sometimes works) but generally buying a bike in Europe for a trip is difficult.  I’m not aware of any factory overseas delivery programs at this point, they seem to come and go.

Rental is very expensive, for a trip of any length you might need to budget $3K to rent a bike, although there are less costly options here and there, and for a long trip or multiple trips shipping your own bike might be cheaper.

The US registered bike I ride in Europe was already there when I bought it in 2006 for $3K.  I’ve ridden it all over on many trips and could ship it home, sell it to another resident of my US state someday, or just sell it locally as a parts bike.  Even accounting for storage cost it’s paid for itself many times over so at this point it doesn’t really matter financially!

I did this on 2 separate occasions in the 80's, 84 and 86 on the BMW European delivery programme. Really well organised and everything from the delivery to shipping the bike home went perfectly. I'd do it again tomorrow if they still had it going. On the 86 trip I met up with my best friend and his wife in Mandello where he did the same thing on a Guzzi (Mk4 Le Mans) through Agostini's and we rode around Europe together. Not quite as organised as BMW but still went very well indeed.

Ciao 
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 07:04:26 AM »
Envious Huzo.  I’ve been watching the Air Canada site to see if and when the Fly and Ride program starts up again.  A flight from Montreal to Marseille and ride to Mandello is at the top of my bucket list. Please post many pictures.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »
Envious Huzo.  I’ve been watching the Air Canada site to see if and when the Fly and Ride program starts up again.  A flight from Montreal to Marseille and ride to Mandello is at the top of my bucket list. Please post many pictures.
One of the more meaningful shots I’ve taken is in itself, fairly unremarkable.
I saw this book in a shop back in 2013.

I was still 1 year off retirement from full time work, but I knew that touring Europe on my Norge was going to be in my future. Looking at that bridge, I resolved to stand on the same piece of road in Norway as the photographer did and get there on the same bike as the one in my garage.
The plan was to be at Nordkapp on the summer solstice at midnight to enjoy a celebratory wine.
That’s how it ultimately turned out and on or about June 16 2015, I found myself at the same place and took this shot.

I like it because it represents the difference between the desire and the realisation. What happened in between the two, is where the real stories lay...
I notice some thoughtless sod has put up a sign in the intervening period.
Anyway, it’s called the bridge to nowhere on the Atlantic Road in the province of Molde (I think), check it out on Google.

https://youtu.be/THq0UHLTPUI

I scuttled up to Nordkapp for a photo

Still a little way to go, this is at 66 deg North, our destination is at 71 deg North.
The North Pole is at 90 deg North.. :rolleyes:

Then down to this place

to get the oil changed
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 04:46:07 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 02:24:25 PM »
6 th time, that's Dedication Huzo .
When I left Germany ,'a long while back ' ,sold the Guzzi to a Friend with option to ride when there.
But know when we go we just rent for 5-8 days ,works out less.
But if and when a longer trip will be possible ,it will be 'Fly and Ride' ,something Air Canada offers for around ~$ 1200 for the Bike .
For such to happen it needes to be a couple month minimum. At least for us .
It’s a funny thing, but having a bike there ready, is just a bit too.....”easy..”

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »
I’ve read that a few times LR and I don’t quite understand.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 03:12:21 PM »
 :grin:,easy ,sure but if time is limited sometimes very limited ,that has to do for now, .... better than nothing .Lol
Happy trails !
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 06:21:22 PM »
I’ve read that a few times LR and I don’t quite understand.

Just a little knock about if you ever had a bike damaged or stolen, the Norge vs your other bikes, well............  :wink:

Truly I envy you for your mechanical skills and making a trip like this happen.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 07:41:05 PM »
Just a little knock about if you ever had a bike damaged or stolen, the Norge vs your other bikes, well............  :wink:

Truly I envy you for your mechanical skills and making a trip like this happen.
Ahh..Now I get you.. :grin:
Actually if either bike was going to be damaged, I’d prefer it to be the V85.
But I’ve had the Norge there so many times and I do want to click over 200,000 k on a lap of Lake Como.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:45 AM »
I just got an e mail from the bloke who has offered me the accomodation near Mandello.
It is in Sovico, here..

I don’t know how many can be accommodated, but I’ll be calling him tomorrow and I’ll get some news.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:03:12 AM by Huzo »

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
Wow ,.... stroke of Luck ,or what . :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 08:42:03 PM »
Wow ,.... stroke of Luck ,or what . :thumb:
Damn right Jorg..
The more I get out, the luckier I get..

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »
Keep doing it  :grin:,would be fun to perhaps bump into you in Europe ,...some day [ 10 more years to Retirement for me,Lol ].
 :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 02:50:36 PM »
Keep doing it  :grin:,would be fun to perhaps bump into you in Europe ,...some day [ 10 more years to Retirement for me,Lol ].
 :thumb:
I’m sometimes given to wonder over that statement..
If you had say, 4 weeks of annual leave and you buy your tickets on the appropriate days, you can finish work and get straight on the ‘plane and be wherever you want the next day..(more or less..).
You lose one day on each end and the rest of the time you’re there... :clock: :clock: :clock:

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »
but for some there are stumbling blocks ,like profession one is in ,Family, Illness and so one . I've given up on pin pointing Trips and Excursions.
Just take them as they come. :laugh:
Happy Trails.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 08:17:36 PM »
I’m sometimes given to wonder over that statement..
If you had say, 4 weeks of annual leave and you buy your tickets on the appropriate days, you can finish work and get straight on the ‘plane and be wherever you want the next day..(more or less..).
You lose one day on each end and the rest of the time you’re there... :clock: :clock: :clock:

For a while I used to go to Germany overnight on Friday, once every 10 Fridays.  After a while it became routine and I’d wake up on Sunday morning having no idea where I was.  :grin:  I only stayed until the following Sunday but sometimes it was enough to do some riding.  Then back to work in the US on Monday…. That was a bit of a crazy time, jet lag wise.

Generally I find two weeks plus a travel day on the previous Friday is enough for a motorcycle trip in the Alps.  That gives you three weekends so 17 days away for 88 hrs of vacation from work.  Years ago when I was younger (i.e. 2002) I did Euro trips and rides as long as a month but found out the fun of riding for days on end starts to fade at some point.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:55:28 PM by Tusayan »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 12:29:31 AM »
For a while I used to go to Germany overnight on Friday, once every 10 Fridays.  After a while it became routine and I’d wake up on Sunday morning having no idea where I was.  :grin:  I only stayed until the following Sunday but sometimes it was enough to do some riding.  Then back to work in the US on Monday…. That was a bit of a crazy time, jet lag wise.

Generally I find two weeks plus a travel day on the previous Friday is enough for a motorcycle trip in the Alps.  That gives you three weekends so 17 days away for 88 hrs of vacation from work.  Years ago when I was younger (i.e. 2002) I did Euro trips and rides as long as a month but found out the fun of riding most days starts to fade at some point.
You always make good points Tus.
I can relate to what you say and have experienced that “another day in paradise” feeling. I usually find that a couple of days away from the bike does wonders.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:06:24 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 04:55:01 AM »
Well, I left the Norge in a Melbourne warehouse today with the luggage labelled and a 200,000 k service done.
It’s actually 198,000 k but will knock the rest over on the way to Mandello. I secured this little piece of kit as well.

I got a call from Marco today, he’s the bloke whose Dad lives 20 km from Mandello. The accomodation is there indefinitely..
Things are hotting up...!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:34:56 PM by Huzo »

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 05:06:02 AM »
Where is your bike being delivered to Huzo?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 05:07:38 AM »
Where is your bike being delivered to Huzo?
London, Sye.
4 miles from Heathrow at Feltham.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 12:13:01 PM by Huzo »

Online Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 05:14:01 AM »
Hmmm, might come down that way to see you but can't say for sure until nearer the time.

Lovely ride to Mandello from there. Worst bit is London to Dover, then it's beautiful all the way. 👍

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 06:47:43 AM »
I absolutely adore this thread Huzo.  It’s so great thinking about the trip both for you and with an eye to doing it myself in a year or so.  What will you pack for tools and spares?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 12:34:32 PM »
I absolutely adore this thread Huzo.  It’s so great thinking about the trip both for you and with an eye to doing it myself in a year or so.  What will you pack for tools and spares?
Enough tools to remove both wheels and repair a flat and a King James Bible...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here