Author Topic: Tuktoyaktuk or Nordkapp  (Read 575 times)

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
Tuktoyaktuk or Nordkapp
« on: December 07, 2022, 02:11:45 PM »
The question came to mind after some discussion here in this forum , a a recent article in motorcycle Mojo.
Which one is or would be more intriguing . I've a pin for both on my world Map.
recently I watch a video on You tube about 2 Germans ,form near Hamburg ,who traveled to the Nordkapp on 2 Puch Maxi Mopeds [49 cc/2 stroke] in May  :wink: .the year before on 2 NSU Quickly.  :bow:

Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
Re: Tuktoyaktuk or Nordkapp
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:46:47 AM »
 Me, I would to Tuk! It is only 5° further north in latitude than here! Even though I have never been to Canada Go north!
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 10:22:03 AM »
Just looking at the map, I would think the fjord-hugging route to the Nordkapp would be more scenic. Plus more towns, and an underwater tunnel!

I guess "intriguing" is the operative word here. If desolation and solitude is your thing, then the Dempster has your number.

It also looks like the Nordkapp wins for most northerly place you can ride to. 71 deg. N vs 69 deg.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »
71vs 69 ,very true . For the longest time never tought about Tuk,but like you said the Dempster .
Norway, ... well Vikings and Fjords, what more to say . :wink:
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 02:19:08 PM »
depending on the time available, the nordkapp can be made into a nice round trip, going through  poland, the baltics , finland , and back throug norway.
a absolutely stunning trip.
with the lakes in the north of poland, forests of the poland and the baltics , the open landscape of lappland , and the fjords of norway.
did it both on a motorcycle and a citroen 2cv ( probably a car comparable to your posty)
recomended, I would happily do it again.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »
I would have to pick Nordkapp, I have ridden to Tuktoyuktuk in 2019. The Dempster highway is all gravel / crushed rock and about 900 km from pavement near Dawson City to Tuk. The lower 1/2 of the Dempster is very scenic, I found the top half just long and boring. since the road to Tuk was finished in 2019 the number of semi trailer units hauling supplies north has exploded, the traditional summer barge service up the river is now closed. Too many trucks, it used to be absolute solitude, no more. The dust trail from a couple semis results on near zero visibility at times. There is very little to see in Tuk other than dipping a wheel on the Arctic Ocean.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 05:53:59 PM »
I would have to pick Nordkapp, I have ridden to Tuktoyuktuk in 2019. The Dempster highway is all gravel / crushed rock and about 900 km from pavement near Dawson City to Tuk. The lower 1/2 of the Dempster is very scenic, I found the top half just long and boring. since the road to Tuk was finished in 2019 the number of semi trailer units hauling supplies north has exploded, the traditional summer barge service up the river is now closed. Too many trucks, it used to be absolute solitude, no more. The dust trail from a couple semis results on near zero visibility at times. There is very little to see in Tuk other than dipping a wheel on the Arctic Ocean.
The reality of what you say Jim, is as usual undeniably correct in reality.
But when you say there is nothing to see ?
I contend that sometimes although everything can often lead to nothing.
Nothingness can sometimes bring everything into clearer light…

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »
I'm with Jim on this one. I didn't go all the way to Tuk, stopping at the edge of the Mackenzie Delta. It was the barren lands and the mountains I wanted to see, and they are spectacular.

If I had a truck load of money, I'd be flying the Eldo to Oslo in heartbeat.

Nick

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 02:47:31 AM »

Don’t get me wrong, I like the vast empty spaces, like central Wyoming, southern Saskatchewan, New Mexico etc. Watching a thunderstorm roll in across the prairies is spectacular and seeind a road stretch out in front of you as far as the eye can see does it for me. On the  Dempster after the big ferry crossing of the McKenzie River it just gets very monotonous for me. Flat gravel, scrub bush, and the relentless dust from the semi trailer transports.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »

Don’t get me wrong, I like the vast empty spaces, like central Wyoming, southern Saskatchewan, New Mexico etc. Watching a thunderstorm roll in across the prairies is spectacular and seeind a road stretch out in front of you as far as the eye can see does it for me. On the  Dempster after the big ferry crossing of the McKenzie River it just gets very monotonous for me. Flat gravel, scrub bush, and the relentless dust from the semi trailer transports.
Having spend half my lifetime and most of our Riding [the Wife and I ] here in Canada /the Praerie, I'm still 'intrigued' by Wilderness and wide open Spaces. I would combine a ride toTuk with a journey to Alaska.
The Kapp ,to me ,again experiencing the Fjords also 'a very much Want'
Question would also be ,what Bike to use ,here we currently have 2 Choices, 1400 Cali or just me on the V7.
Over there,mostlikly a Rental, like Tiumph or KTM out of Hamburg.
Flying a Bike has now become to expensive, shipping by Sea ,likewise ,...transport from here to next Seaport , to much coin.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 07:52:24 PM »
The question came to mind after some discussion here in this forum , a a recent article in motorcycle Mojo.
Which one is or would be more intriguing . I've a pin for both on my world Map.
recently I watch a video on You tube about 2 Germans ,form near Hamburg ,who traveled to the Nordkapp on 2 Puch Maxi Mopeds [49 cc/2 stroke] in May  :wink: .the year before on 2 NSU Quickly.  :bow:

It depends are you talking more of s challenge or more scenic?
I think travelling to Nordcapp on a 50cc NSU quickly would be easy, sealed most of the way I believe, I doubt it would handle the Dempster Highway however800 smiles of rough road
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 12:44:28 AM »
I never made it to Tuk on my Griso only to Eagle plains Arctic circle monument. but the time i spent riding alone up the Dempster was unreal.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here