Author Topic: Parts add up quickly  (Read 470 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Parts add up quickly
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
I’m doing a basic level safety and soundness refresh on a 79 1000SP and it just struck me how quickly the parts add up.  I had lying around new tires and tubes, points, plugs, oil filter and head, rocker arm cover and sump gaskets, but had to buy carb kits, float needles, brake lines, brake pistons, seal kits and pads, a battery, some cables and a few nuts and bolts.  The tab is already over $700.00.  Bless those of you who do this professionally and have to charge all of this through to your clients.  It seems a little unreal at times but better than wondering what is happening down there when I squeeze the brake levers.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline reidy

• Gosling
Re: Parts add up quickly
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 03:59:02 AM »
What surprises me is people who pay top dollar for a bike that needs a rebuild. If they added up the parts bill for the finished product they would be horrified.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 05:22:09 AM »
wanna play, ya gotsta pay
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 06:58:48 AM »
I've been fixing up an '83 SP and yup, it adds up.  It pays to shop around.
I'm thinking you spent a large part of that $700 on just the battery and brake lines. There are many options for both of these items, and the prices vary wildly.

For example, I bought SS brake line by the foot and assembled the fittings. A fraction of the cost of an OEM brake line assembly.  Especially if you buy the parts directly from China - instead of buying from a retailer who gets them from China. The downside is the wait to get parts, but as a Guzzi owner (new or old model) you get used to it.

For a battery I thought about intended usage. Is bike this a daily commuter? Am I going to tour long distance? The answer for me is no to both questions. I don't need a premium battery for my bike. I certainly don't need an AGM. I will set up an easily accessible charging port so that I can plug in a trickle charger between rides.  I bought a cheap generic battery that is slightly smaller than the original colossal battery at Princess Auto. (Canada's Harbor Freight.)

Still, I've easily spent double what you have. One doesn't get rich restoring bikes for resale, that's for sure.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:02:59 AM by berniebee »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 06:58:48 AM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 07:18:16 AM »
Yep brake parts are definitely expensive.  I used to make my own lines using the small gauge Goodridge sniper lines, but they are out of production.  Factory rubber hoses are out of the question and very expensive.  If it were a Lemans high point restoration I would use them but this is a rider.  This time I bought a Spiegler kit and reused the metal lines.  Brembo components add up fast, especially for the F09 rear caliper.  In the end though, the satisfaction of installing new parts and knowing that the bike is right make it worth the cost.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here