Author Topic: Rossi got mugged  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Rossi got mugged
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
After watching the video replays multiple times, it almost looks like the red mist encompassed Rossi and he dove down into Marquez in a late attempt to block him. The pass looked way cleaner than many I have seen by a lot of different racers, Rossi included, where the passes did not result in contact.

Even though Pedrosa avoided contact with Zarco, that was the ill advised move resulting in a crash. Since no contact, no penalty according to race direction. And Alexis Espargo avoided "hard contact" when Marquez went under him. That contact caused the stewards to penalize Marquez, making him give up a spot. The Marquez move on Rossi looked mild in comparison to the other two, IMO.

This contact/no contact is starting to sound a little like the racing rules of sailing. If you don't have contact then you have to protest and prove to the committee that you had to change course to avoid. If you touch then it is more clear cut and someone gets tossed, if they didn't do their turns.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
you're kidding.  He drove Rossi to the grass.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
you're kidding.  He drove Rossi to the grass.

I saw that. Before that happened I saw where they were both wobbling after the contact. Before that I saw where Marquez was even with Rossi in the curve. Before that I saw where they made contact while Marquez was holding his inside line while Rossi was closing down on him. Before that I saw where there was a big opening inside of Rossi's line and Marquez went into it.

I saw some stuff man!   :grin:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »
Bump starting the bike on the grid?  I thought that was a "start from pit lane" type of infraction.  Riding backwards on the track is a big no-no.  For that, you would be blacked flagged from the event. 
What was it?  Two or three passes made by contact?  Thirty second time penalty. 
Add them all up??  That sounds like an exclusion from the next event also.
Removing event points for the championship usually gets team attention.

Maybe he needs to run into someone in the stairwell....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »

twowings

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 03:24:01 PM »
Bump starting the bike on the grid?  I thought that was a "start from pit lane" type of infraction.  Riding backwards on the track is a big no-no.  For that, you would be blacked flagged from the event. 

You can show the contact videos to a hundred persons and get a hundred different opinions...MM's actions on the grid were blantant, disrespectful of race direction, and a major rules infraction and deserved an immediate black flag...since no more sanctions from MotoGP seem to be forthcoming, I'm guessing they are still betting the franchise on his enormous popularity with many and controversial style that upsets many others...bratty behavior fills the seats as well as good clean racing, sadly... :sad:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
I saw that. Before that happened I saw where they were both wobbling after the contact. Before that I saw where Marquez was even with Rossi in the curve. Before that I saw where they made contact while Marquez was holding his inside line while Rossi was closing down on him. Before that I saw where there was a big opening inside of Rossi's line and Marquez went into it.

I saw some stuff man!   :grin:

yeah man, I wantta see stuff too!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »

Picky, Picky, Picky

John L 

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »

Funny how race direction and the marshals did not dispute Marquez's claim the marshal closest to him pointed back to his starting position on the grid. I heard that the confusion was because the lights had not come on yet so the staging was not technically thought complete, at least by some. Heat of the moment "Oh crap" situation and people make wrong decisions.  They made him do a ride through, which was the penalty. He got a give up a spot penalty after the A. Espargo incident. Of course he was riding over two second per lap faster than those guys so it didn't last long. Seems some won't be happy unless Biaggi Stoner Hayden Marquez is banned for life from motorcycle racing. Wasn't someone complaining about Zarco riding to aggressively last season?

Are we channeling Tonya Harding here?    :evil:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Darren,  All the other riders should've just gotten out of the way and MM should've been awarded the win for best effort and given a medal.

In fact,  for COTA, Dorna should tell all the other riders to stay home because they'll only impede Marc's ride.   :grin:
John L 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:22 PM »
some big ass Texan (0r Okie) at COTA?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »
I'd hate to meet Darren alone in a stairwell. 
John L 

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
I'd hate to meet Darren alone in a stairwell.

If someone is going slow and blocking the stairs, I might politely asked to get by and even give them a little nudge if they crowd me on the pass.   :grin:

Hey, if ya can't manage the pace, excursion and dexterity of using the stairs, maybe ya should stick to the lifts.   :evil:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »
escalators and elevators for me!
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
Point:

Marquez should be placed "on probation" - Schwantz

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/marquez-should-be-placed-on-probation-schwantz-1025596/

counter point:

Marquez "wouldn't do anything different" in Argentina fightback

https://www.motorsport.com/all/article/?id=1025085
John L 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 11:33:44 PM »
MM should have been thrown off the race.. BLACK FLAG!

weirdest MotoGP yet.. 

Rossi's done the same thing a thousand times and it's called " forceful racing" when he does it.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2018, 01:18:32 AM »
Huzo, you don't show where MM pushed Rossi to the grass on the other side of the lane.  If MM had kept his line it would have been a block pass, instead he pushed wide all the way out.   An aggressive block pass in those conditions even done right was chancey enough and unnecessary.  MM could've gotten inside exiting the corner and passing him clean at the next.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:22:32 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2018, 04:38:09 AM »
Huzo, you don't show where MM pushed Rossi to the grass on the other side of the lane.  If MM had kept his line it would have been a block pass, instead he pushed wide all the way out.   An aggressive block pass in those conditions even done right was chancey enough and unnecessary.  MM could've gotten inside exiting the corner and passing him clean at the next.
Well look, I have to back up a bit in light of that observation, to a large degree I'm bound to admit you're correct.
But..
VR did come in wide with ( presumably) an intention of getting on the gas early and closing down the exit for anyone eyeing a pass.
I'm suggesting he left a relatively wide gap, reasonably secure in the knowledge that he would not be challenged for the line, but MM was so on in the zone that he took the freeway that had opened in front and began to accelerate and stand the bike up for the exit.
VR would not let go of the bone and held his speed and MM would not roll off to hold the tighter line required to give VR racing room.
I'm not as big a fan of MM as of VR, but in this case I don't think he has much of a case to answer.
If you completely reverse the situation, I can see Laguna Seca where Rossi exited the track to pass Casey on the corkscrew and when challenged by Casey, offered the explanation...
"Casey, is racing no...?"
YES !!!
VR's crash would not have happened if he'd rolled off when MM appeared and cut in behind and underneath.
But I guess he knows that better than I do.
BTW...
Marquez should'a got the arse for travelling reverse direction on the grid then all would have been ok.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:41:53 AM by Huzo »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 06:07:00 AM »
More like Miller got mugged lines up on pole with slicks everyone dives to the pits to change their wets race start then gets delayed 15 minutes. Rossi and Marquez you ran me off! Pot this is Kettle..........

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »
Rossi getting away with it doesn't mean he should still get away with it nor Marquez.

Nothing wrong with a little bumping but really..

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
Watch the video again focusing on what happened to Marquez after the contact. He literally was knocked off the seat of the bike and at least his inside foot flew off the peg. This was a near highside when on the gas and bumped. Rossi appeared prepared for the contact and faired much better. Problem was Marquez had to stand the bike up to regain control and in a curve that means running wide. Getting off line in those conditions might have been a bit tricky to get the bike turning again.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
One thing's for certain, it will be another contentious Moto GP season.  As much as I love Marquez and the ongoing battle with Rossi, I predict good things for Zarco this season...

Either way, it's great fun to watch.  It is interesting to compare Moto GP to Formula 1 here, some of the crashes in Formula 1 are absolutely epic...last year's Singapore start was one for the books on how "not to start" a race.   

Vamos Marquez...a dominar otra vez capo!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
One thing's for certain, it will be another contentious Moto GP season.  Either way, it's great fun to watch.

That is the most important thing for sure!   :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »
rivalries and hate make for good racin'  -  Robin Miller  (paraphrased)
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
it looks like MM was penalized. 

Not for anything he did in the last race, but he'll lose one grid because he blocked Vinales on yesterday quals.

wow,  Dorna is really cracking down.
John L 

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
One thing's for certain, it will be another contentious Moto GP season.  As much as I love Marquez and the ongoing battle with Rossi, I predict good things for Zarco this season...

Either way, it's great fun to watch.  It is interesting to compare Moto GP to Formula 1 here, some of the crashes in Formula 1 are absolutely epic...last year's Singapore start was one for the books on how "not to start" a race.   

Vamos Marquez...a dominar otra vez capo!!

TOTAL DOMINATION!!  The King of COTA maintains his reign!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 08:10:34 PM »
absolutely right Paul.  Another reason I didn't attend this year.  (reason one was Tedeschi Trucks show in Tulsa)

Funny, I saw him crash big time and then saw him win his first GP.  I was a fan for his first season. 

Great rider.  3rd rate competitor. 

(I have to wonder, if they put him at the back of the field like they did Rossi, how much that would've been?)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:11:44 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
The truth, no matter obvious, comes out: No question that Marquez ruined Rossi's last chance to win the world title in 2015. Now Lorenzo admits it. I think it reflects worse for Dorna than it does on Marquez. As great a rider that Marquez was, I think he'll always have a tarnished image due to his poor sportsmanship. Dorna allowed Marquez to get away with interfering with Rossi's riding when MM had no shot for the title. In fact, Dorna penalized Rossi instead.

www.motorcyclesport s.net
Shots fired: Lorenzo reveals that Márquez didn’t want Rossi to win the world championship after Assen 2015
2015 will be marked in the history of the MotoGP World Championships as one of the most intense due to
www.motorcyclesport s.net www.motorcyclesport s.net

Lorenzo, who would go on to win the championship that year, the quarrel between them made ‘stake out the varnish’, and #93 then had a ‘mission’: not to let Il Dottore finish the worlds in front:

– From that moment on, and from what happened in Argentina to Assen, Márquez didn’t want Valentino to win the world championship.
John L 

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2021, 05:31:37 AM »
Don't discount that Lorenzo is trying desperately to remain relavent, and sees more fun in being invited to racing at Rossi's ranch. I think it goes like this. When you own a class, and I think we can state that Marquez owned the MotoGP class during this period of time, and your out of the title chase, you want to play kingmaker to show it is still your class. For multiple reasons he was out of the title chase in 2015. Through boredom, ego, and some other less than great human attributes, it probably came across his mind during some races (since he wasn't racing for a title) to eff with Rossi. I imagine this would go on for a few corners or a few laps, but do not see it as a race long or multiple race strategy. I doubt there was any deal with Lorenzo.

Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here